Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Feb 1, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #1,306 of 2,150
Tube amp can deliver more sparkle than solid state? Okay. 🤷‍♂️
Even 10 years ago tube amps were considered blast from the past nostalgy, surprised anyone still clinging onto them today.
Anyway, my point was that for lethargic phones like MG sharp roll off filter can do the trick.
That's not actually what I said. But using a bright Sylvania driver rather than a bloomy RCA confers more sparkle. Comparing tube amplification to SS wasn't my intent.

I also listen to Bach and Mozart, guess I "cling" to old things.

Seriously, to each his own, the audiophile tent is large.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #1,307 of 2,150
For me, my experience with the Clear MG was strange, at first I didn't like them at all, but even Focal themselfs claims on their website claims that you need to burn them in, which I did with some bass heavy music. Beforehand I was a bit sceptical about burn in... :)

After the burn in I began to really appreciate the MGs! They're like a warm blanket, which I really don't mind. But yea I can understand that some "audiophiles" dont enjoy that type of sound at all. I do enjoy a sound signature that can be described as pretty warm but also with some details, I think the MG's hit a pretty good spot between warm/musical and technicalities.

The reviews from more "mainstream" outlets has been very positive, whilst the reviews from audiophiles seems to be a mixed bag, which doesn't surprise me at all.

I'm running them through a Topping DX3 pro+, which seems to be a decent pairing.

If I have to say something negative it's that I dont like the included cable at all, will prob get an aftermaket cable that is bit longer and less prone to tangle. I can't for the life of me understand why so many +1000€ headphones comes with such crappy cables, Focal are far from alone in this regard.

The comfort is decent, they're deffo not the most comfy headphones I've tried, but they are decent.

Attachments

• 272267597_622579635704805_1510730284314954547_n.jpg
    272267597_622579635704805_1510730284314954547_n.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,308 of 2,150
May i join to the club? Utopia gone so i buyed Clear mg, they are not Utopia, not this insane level of detail and resolution but Clear mg have their own advange, very strong bass, warmer signature, easier to listen than Utopia.
16437242540141258931649585431413.thumb.jpg.d41d20e953f6bb25d1f431f2ddf7342d.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #1,309 of 2,150
All burn in, even if recommended by manufacturer is just a Jedi mind trick to make you get used to the sound signature so you don't send them back right away.
They can sound exceptionally good esp. if you start with them in the morning with fresh ears (also explains why overnight burn in "opens up" any phones), after long day or after more aggressive phones they could sound too mellow.
Still exceptional value with tonally accurate non aggressive tuning that does not need EQ, has been using them exclusively for the last two days, and appreciate them more and more. I can't think of any other dynamic phones in that price range that can actually compete with them.
Too me they are like HD650 on steroids, which I like.

BTW, some interesting fact about the "benefit" of long burn in.
Im sure i've posted this before but a dynamic driver does millions of excursions within say 10 mins of listening to music. Speaker manufactures state that the surround compliance relaxes after maybe half that time.

5 mins aint a lot to care about. Nor will most folks notice it.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #1,312 of 2,150
I had a chance to listen to Focal Clear OG.

Boring, sterile, sounded like everything else in this hobby. Very obvious preference for me.

I much prefer the character, warmth, and incredible sound of the MG.

I find the midrange of the MG to be exceptional as well as overall macro and also micro detail. These are seriously enjoyable headphones for listening pleasure.

Also the OG had some harsh treble which is not present in MG. I didn't prefer anything whatsoever about the OG over this one.

However, I'm glad I got that trial out of my system else it would have continued to bug me.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #1,313 of 2,150
Wow, LCD-XC. A few words on how two compare?
Thanks
I love them both! The XC as a closed back and having owned a Celestee and a Radiance pryor is the best sounding closed-back I have ever owned. It reveals a very detailed sound and has a sound stage that is on par with most open back headphones. I EQ it on the Roon streamer lifting up the bass and that's when these truly shine and give you that thump on the low end also which I prefer.
The Clear MG to me is just Superior in about every way being and open-back. When using a good Amp with these headphones you get a nice dynamic deep low end and also get nice crisp clear detailed sound. I truly love the MG.
Having both I believe I have the best of both worlds in open-back and closed-back.

Feb 2, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #1,314 of 2,150
Just got Dunu SA6 IEMs and similarity to Clear MG sound signature is stunning, if you are looking for on the go scaled down Clear MG, look no further.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #1,315 of 2,150
20220205_151633_HDR.jpg
And the Clear stock pads went to the closet, it turns out that 50% of Utopia's magic is actually their pads. After putting them on the Clear, practically everything has improved, there is more air, the sounds are not so rounded and thick, there is less bass but there is more treble, the tonality is now very similar to the Utopias. The resolution has improved, you can hear more details. At a low cost, I now have 85% of the Utopia sound. It seems to me that now they are closer to Utopia than ordinary Clear mg.

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,317 of 2,150
20220205_151633_HDR.jpg
And the Clear stock pads went to the closet, it turns out that 50% of Utopia's magic is actually their pads. After putting them on the Clear, practically everything has improved, there is more air, the sounds are not so rounded and thick, there is less bass but there is more treble, the tonality is now very similar to the Utopias. The resolution has improved, you can hear more details. At a low cost, I now have 85% of the Utopia sound. It seems to me that now they are closer to Utopia than ordinary Clear mg.
Oh boy, aren't those $250 pads?

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #1,318 of 2,150
Focal has been unresponsive with my request at ordering new pads for my Clear MG Pro. I contacted them back in September 2021, only to keep waiting as they are apparently on back order for months. I actually got an extra set from a head-fi member recently, but what will I do in the next year when I need another replacement due to wear and need of cleaning? I wish Focal was better at actually providing replacement pads for their new products. Perhaps I will use the Elex pads or Dekoni in the future.

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #1,319 of 2,150
Focal has been unresponsive with my request at ordering new pads for my Clear MG Pro. I contacted them back in September 2021, only to keep waiting as they are apparently on back order for months. I actually got an extra set from a head-fi member recently, but what will I do in the next year when I need another replacement due to wear and need of cleaning? I wish Focal was better at actually providing replacement pads for their new products. Perhaps I will use the Elex pads or Dekoni in the future.
I actually use the Dekoni pads and they sound pretty much the same, for $60,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back