Focal Clear headphones
Jun 23, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #7,352 of 12,543
My Clears don't exhibit any of the problems mentioned on here, maybe I won the Focal lottery? My only complaint is that they're pretty heavy and a little too much clamp pressure, also not a fan of the spring loaded cups.

Also a lottery winner...:ksc75smile:

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #7,353 of 12,543
Any recommendations for a tube amp that pairs nicely with these cans? I would like balanced xlr out, but that's a requirement
I would stay away from pure tube amps with the Clears. They kill the dynamics, round off the notes, and congestion the midrange of this headphone to my ears. Maybe a hybrid design would work better. For my preferences solid state amps work the best with the Clears.

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #7,354 of 12,543
I would stay away from pure tube amps with the Clears. They kill the dynamics, round off the notes, and congestion the midrange of this headphone to my ears. Maybe a hybrid design would work better. For my preferences solid state amps work the best with the Clears.

Thanks, I'm currently powering them off my Topping A90/D90 stack and they sound great. The A90 is a beast, I'm on low gain and max listening volume for me is at 1 o'clock out of the XLR. The Drop CTH is pretty affordable and might be a good option.

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #7,355 of 12,543
Thanks, I'm currently powering them off my Topping A90/D90 stack and they sound great. The A90 is a beast, I'm on low gain and max listening volume for me is at 1 o'clock out of the XLR. The Drop CTH is pretty affordable and might be a good option.
I'll have my LP back in a few days. I sent it out to be modded. For me the Clears are slightly warmer than the Utopia's I use to own. I just find to be more musical because of that. To my ears they don't need any more warmth to their sound.

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #7,356 of 12,543
Any recommendations for a tube amp that pairs nicely with these cans? I would like balanced xlr out, but that's a requirement
I use a woo audio WA22 and the Clear sound great with them.

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #7,357 of 12,543

Take a look at the hybrid Pro-Ject Pre box RS2 (tube stage is only for the pre out, not headphones)
It has dual ESS9038Q2M DAC chips so some people might think it would be too analytical or bright with Clears but no, its a perfect match IMHO, full body, clear, detailed but not harsh or tiring at all. My 2 cents

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #7,360 of 12,543
Take a look at the hybrid Pro-Ject Pre box RS2 (tube stage is only for the pre out, not headphones)
It has dual ESS9038Q2M DAC chips so some people might think it would be too analytical or bright with Clears but no, its a perfect match IMHO, full body, clear, detailed but not harsh or tiring at all. My 2 cents

Thanks for the recommendation but I don't think this will work for me or is what I'm looking for.

Jun 24, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #7,362 of 12,543
I pair mine with a Pathos Aurium - hybrid tube amp with balanced XLR out. Pairs really nicely. Plenty of power, speed, and dynamics. And very responsive to tube rolling.

That unit looks very interesting, do the xlr "tape" outputs go through the tube stage or is it just a passthrough? I'd prefer not to tube my JBL monitors.

My setup is pc-> usb-> dac-> xlr-> headamp/preamp-> xlr-> lsr305

I would ideally like to put it in between the dac and headamp/preamp if it's a passthrough.

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #7,364 of 12,543
That unit looks very interesting, do the xlr "tape" outputs go through the tube stage or is it just a passthrough? I'd prefer not to tube my JBL monitors.

My setup is pc-> usb-> dac-> xlr-> headamp/preamp-> xlr-> lsr305

I would ideally like to put it in between the dac and headamp/preamp if it's a passthrough.
I'm afraid I'm not sure, to be honest. I use the XLR outputs on the back to connect to my RME dac. I've never tried the tape outputs. There's a thread here on Head-Fi dedicated to the Aurium and they might know more about the tape function. It's a great amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back