Focal Clear headphones
Jun 23, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #7,336 of 12,543
I am surprised they have had driver issues since they have been in the high end speaker business for years and even supplying drivers to other companies but as with anything it can fail at anytime and that pretty much goes for all brands and equipment.

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #7,337 of 12,543
Just last week I read in the German Headphone Forum that someone ordered a new Utopia and the right driver did not work. Had to send it back, but got a new one without hesitation.

Yes was not supposed to be. My Clear so far without any problems!

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #7,340 of 12,543
Are we talking rattling inside the cups while moving them around, or drivers rattling when tested with low frequency pure tone signals?
I'm considering the Focal Clear but reading through the this thread I do recall some of the problems I listed. The latest posts certainly do talk about the "loose screw" rattling sound in the ear cup and the poor head and ear pad quality. As for failed drivers I don't recall where I read that perhaps it was in the Focal Utopia thread. Hopefully these "issues" are few and far between.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #7,341 of 12,543
I recall the failed drivers being from the Utopias not the Clears. I think the person posting about the drivers mixed up the models

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #7,342 of 12,543
I recall the failed drivers being from the Utopias not the Clears. I think the person posting about the drivers mixed up the models
Yes I did mix up the Utopia's with the Clear's regarding driver failure...my bad.

However, the Utopia's are considerably more expensive than the Clear's being that they are Focal's TOTL offering. Maybe it's just me but it certainly causes me to pause when considering Focal headphones.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #7,344 of 12,543
Yes I did mix up the Utopia's with the Clear's regarding driver failure...my bad.

However, the Utopia's are considerably more expensive than the Clear's being that they are Focal's TOTL offering. Maybe it's just me but it certainly causes me to pause when considering Focal headphones.

Meh, I wouldn't overly worry about it. Focal is aware of the driver issues and, to my knowledge, have replaced those headphones when the problem arises. I wouldn't pass on the clears because of issues with other models, they are an awesome headphone.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #7,345 of 12,543
Meh, I wouldn't overly worry about it. Focal is aware of the driver issues and, to my knowledge, have replaced those headphones when the problem arises. I wouldn't pass on the clears because of issues with other models, they are an awesome headphone.
I look forward to hearing them and LCD-X.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #7,346 of 12,543
I look forward to hearing them and LCD-X.

I have not heard the X, but had a long discussion with someone on facebook marketplace who was debating between my LCD-2's I have listed there, and LCD-X. They are two totally different headphones, and he got a good deal on the X's so he went with those. A week later he was looking to get rid of them because they were too analytical, not enough bass, etc. From what I understand, those are best for mixing/mastering as they have a ton of detail, but not really a fun or musical headphone to listen to. Again, I havent heard them, but these were my impressions from reading about them from others

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #7,347 of 12,543
I have not heard the X, but had a long discussion with someone on facebook marketplace who was debating between my LCD-2's I have listed there, and LCD-X. They are two totally different headphones, and he got a good deal on the X's so he went with those. A week later he was looking to get rid of them because they were too analytical, not enough bass, etc. From what I understand, those are best for mixing/mastering as they have a ton of detail, but not really a fun or musical headphone to listen to. Again, I havent heard them, but these were my impressions from reading about them from others
I owned the X and I agree with this.

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #7,349 of 12,543
I don't think I've read anywhere about failed drivers. That's interesting.
I think I've come across that complain in this forum for a while, some QC issue with drivers, or rather the casing, not the speakers themselves. With you that the headband is a bit squeaky, but not on the head. And I Absolutely love these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back