Focal Clear headphones
Jun 26, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #7,369 of 12,550
Anyone here ever try plugging clear to ifi micro bl? Is it good? :D

Yes, very good, power full. Bass sensational, helps that the iFi is a bit amplified there. Also reacts great on 3D. I really like it on the iFi.

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #7,370 of 12,550
Do these burn in at all? I have two sets, one new and one open box. The open box has markedly better bass extension. I would assume because these have a speaker like driver that material may increase in flexibility? 🤷‍♂️

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #7,373 of 12,550
Just out of curiosity, what are the respective serial numbers?

Btw, smelling a big, juicy, freshly opened, can of worms in here... sniff... sniff... :bug::popcorn::bug::popcorn::bug::popcorn:
The new sets serial ends in 259, while the open box ends is 865. Other than that the serial numbers are identical

edit: I’m just going to feed the new pair some pink noise for a while and see if the bass extension improves. If it doesn’t I may just not send the open box pair back because they sound better despite a rattle in the left ear cup.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #7,374 of 12,550
Oh, with the gap in serial numbers is it possible focal made some sort of change to the tuning for “tighter” bass?

er, I guess it would be the opposite since the open box is a higher (later) production. No maybe they made a change to help with bass extension.

I would hate to think there is that much variance in their drivers

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #7,375 of 12,550
Anyone here ever try plugging clear to ifi micro bl? Is it good? :D

That's one of my favorite go-to portable pairings. The slight warmth of the amp and its abundant power go very well with the Clear. Plenty of technical prowess there, still hard-hitting and resolving, but with a little of the upper mids edge taken off. Bass boost is a nice addition sometimes too. The Clear also pairs nicely with my DAP, it really is just an agreeable headphone when it comes to amp pairings. The only ones to avoid are those that have treble glare or accentuate that metallic tinge that some people hear.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #7,376 of 12,550
Oh, with the gap in serial numbers is it possible focal made some sort of change to the tuning for “tighter” bass?
Idk, mine are 001-076, I guess yours are both from the same series just 500 :sweat_smile: 600 (259 > 865) units apart. :p

Maybe try switching pads between the two. Do the pads feel or look different in consistency?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #7,377 of 12,550
Idk, mine are 001-076, I guess yours are both from the same series just 500 (259 > 865) units apart. :p

Maybe try switching pads between the two. Do the pads feel or look different in consistency?
the pads are identical. The open box pair showed no signs of wear.

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #7,380 of 12,550
It’s a marked and obvious difference. Honestly if it were close I wouldn’t be at all concerned. They almost sound like different drivers. I’ll see if my “break in” process does anything
Uh oh, now that you mention that, I saw a post about someone getting an Utopia with what looked like Clear or Elear drivers... the misery unravels ?!?! :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back