Focal Clear headphones
Jun 26, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #7,381 of 12,550
Uh oh, now that you mention that, I saw a post about someone getting an Utopia with what looked like Clear or Elear drivers... the misery unravels ?!?! :thinking:
Both the magnets on my units are silver, cone is silver. I’m confused about the red magnet thing. Are clears supposed to have red magnets? What sorcery is upon us?

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #7,383 of 12,550
Great. So there’s a remote chance the voice coils in this set are magically from the wrong headphone. I guess I’ll give focal a call directly and see if that’s possible

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #7,385 of 12,550
Anyone here ever try plugging clear to ifi micro bl? Is it good? :D

It'll do :ksc75smile:

Yes, very good, power full. Bass sensational, helps that the iFi is a bit amplified there. Also reacts great on 3D. I really like it on the iFi.

Thanks! Although micro iDSD BL is a (trans)portable product, with Clears it sounds like a big desktop deck.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 29, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #7,389 of 12,550
Hi fellow Clear Brothers!

So about 3 weeks ago i learned that i was going to have an opportunity to demo the Clear Pros for a whole week. To my surprise it was a new set of cans. Needless to say that after less than 2 days with them i was asking the price and a day later i closed the deal. So about 2 weeks in and i have about 120 hours on them (yeah, didn't sleep much just to listen to them). The day i found out that was going to have them to demo i came across this thread. As of yesterday i have gone through the 493 pages of this thread (it was long read).
I don't want to repeat what most have said already. I love them. I love the build, i love the comfort, i love the sound. If anything i would like just a tinny bit more of sound stage. I think the sound stage of these cans have a lot to do with the recording. If its a tune recorded to have a wider sound stage, u get it, if not, its not there. For me its that simple, and i actually appreciate that to some extent. I honestly don't see my self trying to look for the "perfect" set of cans. This is it for me and i'm really happy (honeymoon talk, i know).

I have been listening with my Hiby R5. They sound fine. I never wanted to dig deep into amps/Dac's as i always though my cash was better spent on cans. However, considering that i don't want to dig deeper in this rabbit hole I'm ready now to "settle" for a desktop amp/dac solution. What would you guys recommend? i would like to keep this within what i paid for my Clears plus the custom cable i ordered - 1000 euro. I just cant see my self spending more on an amp/dac that i paid for the cans. I'm curious about tube amps, but i have read that some didn't think the Clear paired well with these.

Shoot me up guys! Thanks in advanced!

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #7,390 of 12,550
Can absolutely recommend the ADI-2 DAC for the Clear. Power is ample, sounds great, a professional DAC and a million settings. Take a look at it. The price is within your limit and you don't need a new cable. Give it a try.

0554A678-E808-4D11-8035-74E6F6E1CB8D.jpeg

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #7,391 of 12,550

So about 3 weeks ago i learned that i was going to have an opportunity to demo the Clear Pros for a whole week. To my surprise it was a new set of cans. Needless to say that after less than 2 days with them i was asking the price and a day later i closed the deal. So about 2 weeks in and i have about 120 hours on them (yeah, didn't sleep much just to listen to them). The day i found out that was going to have them to demo i came across this thread. As of yesterday i have gone through the 493 pages of this thread (it was long read).
I don't want to repeat what most have said already. I love them. I love the build, i love the comfort, i love the sound. If anything i would like just a tinny bit more of sound stage. I think the sound stage of these cans have a lot to do with the recording. If its a tune recorded to have a wider sound stage, u get it, if not, its not there. For me its that simple, and i actually appreciate that to some extent. I honestly don't see my self trying to look for the "perfect" set of cans. This is it for me and i'm really happy (honeymoon talk, i know).

I have been listening with my Hiby R5. They sound fine. I never wanted to dig deep into amps/Dac's as i always though my cash was better spent on cans. However, considering that i don't want to dig deeper in this rabbit hole I'm ready now to "settle" for a desktop amp/dac solution. What would you guys recommend? i would like to keep this within what i paid for my Clears plus the custom cable i ordered - 1000 euro. I just cant see my self spending more on an amp/dac that i paid for the cans. I'm curious about tube amps, but i have read that some didn't think the Clear paired well with these.

I am going to upgrade to either an Asgard or Jotunheim with a multibit dac as there are posters running that combo that are very pleased currently I am using the Magni 3 /Modi 3 stack and I have no complaints but I want more power for my other phones.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #7,392 of 12,550
opinions on this versus the arya?

Jun 29, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #7,395 of 12,550

The Clear are definitely worth of a good DAC.

I found out that the stage on the Clear was substantially affected by amps I was pairing them with. Because the neutral signature will pick extra depth from "meatier" amps, as well as extra width. They are easy to drive loud but amps that have good current output will open them up significantly. Going from my Hugo to Asgard 2 to Mjolnir, it really sounds like a different headphone.

As for tube amps, either OTL or transformer output, it really depends on the tubes, so it's kind of a trial and error routine that can get pretty tiring and expensive. But also very satisfying if one is willing to play that game. Although the Clear may not be the prime candidates to go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back