Focal Clear headphones
Sep 26, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #6,301 of 12,590
This is easily the Clears best attribute, tonal balance. I've heard a lot of high end headphones and I've yet to come across a headphone with better tonal balance then the Clear. The headphones have such an even and balanced sounding presentation across the whole frequency range. The Utopia has unmatched detail and resolution, but it's too bright for me personally. The Elear has great bass but it's a bit too mid bass strong and is a bit uneven in the treble. The Clear strikes a perfectly balanced chord.

I've still been considering the HD800S lately though. I've heard it and really for me it doesn't best the Clear anywhere except sound stage and resolution. Something about it is tempting to me though, I'm not even sure what it is. Sometimes I just hate this hobby, it's so hard to just be satisfied.

There is no end except financial exhaustion. I used to collect high end watches. Doesn’t matter how nice the watch you have is, there’s always the next one. Headphones have the advantage of being way cheaper so it will be interesting (from a psychological standpoint) to see if I get to the same level of financial stupidity or if I stop before then.

Sep 26, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #6,302 of 12,590
This is easily the Clears best attribute, tonal balance. I've heard a lot of high end headphones and I've yet to come across a headphone with better tonal balance then the Clear. The headphones have such an even and balanced sounding presentation across the whole frequency range. The Utopia has unmatched detail and resolution, but it's too bright for me personally. The Elear has great bass but it's a bit too mid bass strong and is a bit uneven in the treble. The Clear strikes a perfectly balanced chord.

I've still been considering the HD800S lately though. I've heard it and really for me it doesn't best the Clear anywhere except sound stage and resolution. Something about it is tempting to me though, I'm not even sure what it is. Sometimes I just hate this hobby, it's so hard to just be satisfied.
Clear’s tonal balance is pretty unique. I upgraded from Elex and I’m very happy I did. I am a big fan of high resolution too - have considered Utopia, but was not willing to pay its full price. Now I’m thinking next time I upgrade I’m going straight to SR-009s. Have heard the best of dynamic drivers, time to change the technology. Until then it’s Clear for me plus T800 IEM to scratch the high res itch in the meantime.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #6,304 of 12,590
Clear’s tonal balance is pretty unique. I upgraded from Elex and I’m very happy I did. I am a big fan of high resolution too - have considered Utopia, but was not willing to pay its full price. Now I’m thinking next time I upgrade I’m going straight to SR-009s. Have heard the best of dynamic drivers, time to change the technology. Until then it’s Clear for me plus T800 IEM to scratch the high res itch in the meantime.

If you are really considering the sr-009s I rec9mend that you check out the Abyss AB-1266 phi tc. To my ears they have all the resolution and speed of the stax with much better bass, imaging, and sound stage.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #6,305 of 12,590
If you are really considering the sr-009s I rec9mend that you check out the Abyss AB-1266 phi tc. To my ears they have all the resolution and speed of the stax with much better bass, imaging, and sound stage.
Cool. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to listen to them somewhere. I did A/B with Utopia and SR-009S on Hugo 2/T8000. To me Stax was a clear winner in terms of SQ. I have never heard such instrument separation before.

Sep 27, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #6,306 of 12,590
Anyone have recommendations on where to get nice looking quality custom cable for the Clear (preferably in Canada)?

As much as I like how the Clear cable looks, I hate how rigid and inflexible it is.

not in Canada, but decent: LQI Cables. Excellent quality, very flexible, not insane prices, lots of color choices

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #6,307 of 12,590
I know this isnt a fair comparison but, ignoring physical makeup/hardware of the focal clear. How is the sound specifically when compared to the Hifiman Arya, again, keep in mind i know ones a DD and ones a Planar. i'm only curious to hear peoples experiences between these two and their sound presentation.

ideally it would of been with the same song and amp, but im still open to interpretation.

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #6,310 of 12,590
So one thing so don’t like about the Clear: clamping force. My Elex is great- practically floated over my ears. The Clear is more like a nicely padded but little too tight helmet.

Yes, I agree. The Clear also clamps tighter then the Elear. Having the Clear on an omega stand seems to have helped a bit in my case, maybe compressed the pads very slightly.

Sep 29, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #6,312 of 12,590
Did you ever use this cleaner?
I did. I have the Clear Pro, so there was a lot of color bleed on to the wet cloth that I used and it was really hard to tell how well it cleaned because the pads really weren't that dirty. However, I used the Clears while I was in the hospital rehabbing a broken femur and revision total hip replacement. It was warmer in my room than I thought and I sweated into the pads (as soon as I realized it I stopped using them). I cleaned the pads when I was back home and the cleaner seemed to work ok. I think it would be more apparent with the grey pads. The directions say to use a brush when cleaning. From my own experience, I wouldn't advise it. The cloth on the pads is much thinner than what the cleaner was intended for. The first time I cleaned the pads they were fuzzy when I was done, and I bought a sweater pill shaver to take the fuzz down. I was much more careful when I cleaned them the second time. But some of the perforated holes ended up larger/oval than others. Yes...I'm heartbroken over it, but fortunately, the Clear Pro's come with a second set of ear pads which I really have no reason to swap out because I notice no difference in SQ.
So my advice is that whatever you use to clean the pads...be very gentle. I wouldn't be surprised if more members had a similar experience with the enlarged perforations from cleaning the pads but simply hate to admit it. I'm hoping that FOCAL does at some point offer a replacement headband even if it requires professional installation. It would be a shame if buyers purchase a quality headphone only for them to look like crap down the road. Or at least include something in the Users Manual stating "Headphone pads are not meant to come into direct contact with hair or skin"

Sep 29, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #6,313 of 12,590
I know this isnt a fair comparison but, ignoring physical makeup/hardware of the focal clear. How is the sound specifically when compared to the Hifiman Arya, again, keep in mind i know ones a DD and ones a Planar. i'm only curious to hear peoples experiences between these two and their sound presentation.

ideally it would of been with the same song and amp, but im still open to interpretation.

Hi Tsukuyomi,

I own both headphones, but I am running out of time, so I put summarily some notes below.
I find both to be excellent headphones, so I will only mention where they are clearly different, less clearly different.

1. Clear differences
- dynamics: the Clear have much more dynamics than the Arya
- soundstage: the Arya has a much larger soundstage

2. not so clear differences (close-match, disputable)
- the Arya may have a little more resolution and cleanliness in the treble area
- re. timbre, the Arya has somewhat deeper sub-bass but a somewhat recessed mids (esp. 1,5k - 2,5k) and some small issues in the treble area (small peaks and on the borderline of sibilance) ; globally the Clear is more neutral according to me.

If dynamics e.g. for metal, rock, or neutrality, e.g. for the highest fidelity, is the most important to you, then the Clear may be more suitable.
If soundstage is the most important to you, or audiophile enjoyment in the sense of a softened presentation more relaxed than in reality (e.g. for long, relaxed listening sessions) , then the Arya may be more suitable.

I find both to be excellent headphones, these sonic differences are not night and day, so don't forget practical things:
- the Arya is among the most comfortable headphones and doesn't get dirty while the Clear is comfortable but not as much as the Arya, and has coloration issues with the light grey fabric.
- if I take the Arya by the headband, the cups fall down to the lowest position, not holding their setting... = poor build quality. The elongated and thin shape makes them very fragile. If you intend to often travel with you headphones (e.g take them to work), or are not sure that you will always manipulate them in a delicate manner, you will have a higher risk of breaking the Hifiman, while the Focal are much stronger built and meant for travelling with their travel case (included in the package).

Hope this may help, have a good week,
bidn

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #6,315 of 12,590
Just bought a used Focal Clear from someone, this will be my first headphone ever! Looking forward to receiving it and dabbling into the headphone side of music as I am primarily an IEM guy :)
Funny you mention that as I’m primarily a headphone guy and am now starting to dabble into the IEM side. So far I’ve only owned a few inexpensive pairs but I do like them for the bang for the buck.
I own the Clear, like them immensely and will be interested in your take after coming to the dark side. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back