Focal Clear headphones
May 23, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #12,586 of 12,651
It has been a while, so ...
IMG_8117.jpeg
... one of my favourite pairings! 👩‍🍳💋!!

May 24, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #12,588 of 12,651
This fits Focal Clear OG:
IMG_8120.jpeg

May 24, 2024 at 7:36 AM Post #12,589 of 12,651
This fits Focal Clear OG:

I use the same thing on my Focals. The only thing I do differently is I rotate the band so that the zipper is on the rear edge. That way, it doesn't leave as much of an impression on the Focal strap.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #12,590 of 12,651
The only thing I do differently is I rotate the band so that the zipper is on the rear edge. That way, it doesn't leave as much of an impression on the Focal strap.
Me too.

May 24, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #12,591 of 12,651
It's nice that you can find a nice cover but I feel that the Sennheiser approach is much more thoughtful and sensible. (replaceable, cost-effective headband). Why does Focal oblige users to use a headband cover for the ...band cover ? It is ridiculous at such prices not to be able to replace a worn or dirty headband. I know it is also a broblem with some other brands but this is not remotely an excuse for Focal. Whatever comes in constant touch with the head must be replaceable, period.

May 24, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #12,592 of 12,651
Bought a very lightly used Clear, it came in with all the accessories looking pristine, headphone look and smell good as well, it's just, I hear some rattling on the left side, like there's a loose screw inside,
Yeah found the screw, it's trapped inside the grille, I'm not sure how it came off, but I right now I don't have the right bit to open the headphone up. I guess I should bring it to Jaben to have it looked at.

May 24, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #12,594 of 12,651
Yeah found the screw, it's trapped inside the grille, I'm not sure how it came off, but I right now I don't have the right bit to open the headphone up. I guess I should bring it to Jaben to have it looked at.
Does anyone know what type of screw is locking the driver assembly? I need to pull it out as the screw is stuck inside the grille.

May 26, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #12,595 of 12,651
what's the track record of Focal headphone's QC these days? I remember 3 years ago they have not few report of imbalance and failing drivers on some models mostly elex and elear.. what of latest batches of Clear and

Utopia these days?
Vuz i still have a chance to return these Clear, that screw somehow coming off by itself sure isn't a quality assurance, I'm just hesitating because having it around for 3 days on my holiday sure proven it to suit me sonically so well... it never offends me and always have such a pleasing sound no matter what i throw at it. a great all rounder with no faults.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #12,596 of 12,651
what's the track record of Focal headphone's QC these days? I remember 3 years ago they have not few report of imbalance and failing drivers on some models mostly elex and elear.. what of latest batches of Clear and

Utopia these days?
Vuz i still have a chance to return these Clear, that screw somehow coming off by itself sure isn't a quality assurance, I'm just hesitating because having it around for 3 days on my holiday sure proven it to suit me sonically so well... it never offends me and always have such a pleasing sound no matter what i throw at it. a great all rounder with no faults.
Recently the right driver on my radiance gave off the ghost and I had to send it back to focal in the states, that was like 3 weeks ago, still waiting on news from the rep to see when I might expect them to get return to me, so it's still an issue.

May 27, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #12,597 of 12,651
Did it just suddenly happen or did something caused it?
what I'm scared about is driver problems while just using it every other 2 days.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #12,598 of 12,651
Had one last night of pondering... now with direct A/B switching to my current collection. It really always ended up to 1 point, just how lovely I find Clear's tuning to be, it has none of the quirk of my other cans, great to perfect on all genre of music I've used it in, and so make it very hard for me to choose whether to keep it and risk the CQ.

1) Yes ADX5000 have Blacker background, actually Clearer :stuck_out_tongue:, has faster bass and nearly as deep and tight as Clear's as well, its just a tad harsh on some badly done track, its wonderful for orchestra, flawless for Lofi, but on some of those track it doesn't like, it says it out loud.
2) MDR Z1R is just different, as the only closed back I need some time to acclimate to it's sound every time I pull it out of its box after a couple weeks of not using it, but when it settles in, its just a different listening experience compared to all the others. you need to be in the mood for its sound.
3) T1.1 its a tad smoother than Clear, and that soundstage is there i guess, but most aspect I find its clearly beaten by the Clear.
4) My previous over ear for travel use, MDR MV1: Its good for the price, but again can't compete, bass quantity and presence is there, but lose out on speed and depth, wooly. highs also isn't as clear, a tad muted in comparison, it's still the most comfortable open back ever tho.
5) HD650: well yeah, I do use it as daily, its good enough if you only use it in isolation, but otherwise no contest to the others.
6) AD1000x. Kept this one for one reason only, its Female vocal rendition on JPop, and still it's the best for me, Clear came very, very close to matching it, but AD1000x is just that little bit sweeter. 🍡

I guess its time to decide, I just cant justify keeping this many cans around, if i keep the Clear, many need to be sold, no 3,4 and 5 basically isn't offering anything the Clear Can't do better.
Logic says the ADX5000 is just technically the better headphone, but Heart says the Clear, with all its package is just a very lovely headphone for my ears.
Will be going to Jaben to pull out the screw and check what damage it does while pinging around during shipping, but if it all come out good It's Clear-ly a Keeper. :slight_smile:
8aec5129-6082-4e6c-a039-109681c570ae.jpg
Old Reliable TA-ZH1ES for an easy 5 way direct comparison
bab1e6da-d1dd-4fad-88ec-a341d425655c.jpg
Messy desk after hours of comparison.

May 27, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #12,599 of 12,651
Did it just suddenly happen or did something caused it?
what I'm scared about is driver problems while just using it every other 2 days.
It just happen one day, I think I was at the office using either my aune yuki or the shanling H5 and the right driver just stopped working, never had an issue with the radiance, there's was a creaking sound every time I adjusted the headphones to put them in my head, specifically on the left cup, but nothing with the actual functioning of the headphone itself. Unfortunately it's a known issue with focal drivers that they're not the most robust and reliable of the bunch.

May 27, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #12,600 of 12,651
Had one last night of pondering... now with direct A/B switching to my current collection. It really always ended up to 1 point, just how lovely I find Clear's tuning to be, it has none of the quirk of my other cans, great to perfect on all genre of music I've used it in, and so make it very hard for me to choose whether to keep it and risk the CQ.

1) Yes ADX5000 have Blacker background, actually Clearer :stuck_out_tongue:, has faster bass and nearly as deep and tight as Clear's as well, its just a tad harsh on some badly done track, its wonderful for orchestra, flawless for Lofi, but on some of those track it doesn't like, it says it out loud.
2) MDR Z1R is just different, as the only closed back I need some time to acclimate to it's sound every time I pull it out of its box after a couple weeks of not using it, but when it settles in, its just a different listening experience compared to all the others. you need to be in the mood for its sound.
3) T1.1 its a tad smoother than Clear, and that soundstage is there i guess, but most aspect I find its clearly beaten by the Clear.
4) My previous over ear for travel use, MDR MV1: Its good for the price, but again can't compete, bass quantity and presence is there, but lose out on speed and depth, wooly. highs also isn't as clear, a tad muted in comparison, it's still the most comfortable open back ever tho.
5) HD650: well yeah, I do use it as daily, its good enough if you only use it in isolation, but otherwise no contest to the others.
6) AD1000x. Kept this one for one reason only, its Female vocal rendition on JPop, and still it's the best for me, Clear came very, very close to matching it, but AD1000x is just that little bit sweeter. 🍡

I guess its time to decide, I just cant justify keeping this many cans around, if i keep the Clear, many need to be sold, no 3,4 and 5 basically isn't offering anything the Clear Can't do better.
Logic says the ADX5000 is just technically the better headphone, but Heart says the Clear, with all its package is just a very lovely headphone for my ears.
Will be going to Jaben to pull out the screw and check what damage it does while pinging around during shipping, but if it all come out good It's Clear-ly a Keeper. :slight_smile:
8aec5129-6082-4e6c-a039-109681c570ae.jpg
Old Reliable TA-ZH1ES for an easy 5 way direct comparison
bab1e6da-d1dd-4fad-88ec-a341d425655c.jpg
Messy desk after hours of comparison.
Despite the problems that some times happen with focal drivers, I think the Clear offer something exceptional in the focal range of open back headphones, specially given that they may soon stopped being produce, being that I think only headphones.com sells them to the public, at least here from a distribuidor in the american continent, and for nothing else their collectible value.

Tbh I recently got the LCD-X used from an seller here in this very forum and imho, sound wise, it beats the focal clear, but when it comes to comfort and ergonomics, well audeze HP are well known for not being design in mind for regular human anatomy, so I still listen to the clears, my concern with them and any focal headphone is that I always feel that I cannot push them to their limits for fear of damaging the drivers, it's something palpable when you're right over the edge of where you can take them before there's a driver failure, which is nerve wracking and frustrating at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back