Focal Clear headphones
Aug 23, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #4,321 of 12,592
Would you say the Clear would be a good daily complement to the more laid-back, port wine listening of the LCD-3?
I think so, having spent a decent amount of time with both beside each other (haven’t owned the lcd-3 though).
The Clear’s an amazing all-rounder, tonality-wise maybe (probably) the best I’ve heard, and the LCD-3 is lovely warm and smooth, and can also bring some serious subbass for bass-heavy genres. If I had that kind of money I’d definitely consider having both of them. I still can’t shake the urge to get an LCD-2 (slightly more budget friendly) to give that dark/warm and bassy compliment to the Clear

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #4,322 of 12,592
Would you say the Clear would be a good daily complement to the more laid-back, port wine listening of the LCD-3?

I do think they make good complements, but lately I find myself grabbing the Clear a lot more than the LCD-3F due to preferring the sound of the Clear for most tracks. The Clear is neutral and transparent in a way that makes me feel I'm connecting with the music more directly, whereas the LCD-3F imposes more of its own personality (more muscular bass, and a silky treble sheen which is pleasant but also a bit artificial compared to the neutrality of the Clear). Right now, if I could have only one open-back headphone, it would be the Clear, and I wouldn't really feel that I'm missing out on much. For fans of the Clear, I also recommend giving the i4 a try.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #4,323 of 12,592
I've never had an issue with the upper-mid 'dip' (never heard it so much as never had an issue with it, especially with the Dekoni fenestrated pads); the bass is just right in terms of volume, punch and extension, and is both faster and more detailed than my Atticus (which says something), and the treble is perfectly rolled off so that no song has sibilance ever without any loss in air or sparkle. So if the Clear reduces (assume that's what you mean by tamed) bass, increases or extends the treble and lifts the upper-mids, I may in fact find the Clear too bright and fatiguing, which is how I've seen it described from time to time compared to slightly warmer headphones like the Elear.

Still waiting on the local agent in my country to get Clear stock (haven't had for months), so hopefully I'll get a chance to try it myself soon enough. One thing's for sure, it'll have to be mind-blowing to better the sound I'm getting from the Elear (given everything else - looks, comfort, weight) are the same - and keep in mind I already own the LCD-3F which is another level altogether.

PS. I'm yet to find a genre the Elear doesn't do well, be it acoustic, folk, rock (it's the best Def Leppard headphone I've ever heard, LCD included), pop. I don't do metal, rap or RnB, so YMMV. The only things I mark it down on is comfort (smallish pads, silly headband) and soundstage width, traits I believe are shared with the Clear.

Take a look at Tyl’s this review of the Clear, it doesn’t “reduce the bass,” it actually has more bass, which is better controlled.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #4,324 of 12,592
Take a look at Tyl’s this review of the Clear, it doesn’t “reduce the bass,” it actually has more bass, which is better controlled.
More (and deeper) subbass, less midbass. Ends up being perceived as tighter, less «flabby», more impact but less «thump». More controlled is a good way to put it yeah

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #4,325 of 12,592
More (and deeper) subbass, less midbass. Ends up being perceived as tighter, less «flabby», more impact but less «thump». More controlled is a good way to put it yeah

Exactly!

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #4,326 of 12,592
I read Tyll's review the day it came out, and a few times since. Put it this way, I take Tyll's reviews with a pinch of salt after the disservice he did to the ZMF headphones he tested. Don't think he could have been further off with those. Moreover Tyll held up neutrality as some sort of gold standard, which I wholeheartedly disagree with (for my own listening tastes).

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #4,327 of 12,592
It's the 'less thump' that I'm concerned about. Elear has just about enough thump for me. Atticus had more, but not with my current amp. Elear has more thump than the LCD-3, so when I want thump, Elear is mandatory. And compared to the Atticus the Elear's midbass 'hump' is positively anaemic - which is actually a good thing. The Atticus can sound too bloomy at times, whereas the Elear has just enough thump with significantly more 'clarity'. I honestly don't hear it as midbass-boosted, and it has enough rumble for me as well (although the LCD-3 - and by the sounds of it the Clear - have a touch more). Then again I'm using Dekoni pads, so stock would be different (more 'wooly' to my ears).

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #4,328 of 12,592
it’s not all down to the soundstage size, for example the Clear and Utopia both have similar soundstage sizes to the Elear but they do better with complex music. I’d say it’s more about the tonality, and a better sense of «control».

Tbh, the Clear is just a superior headphone to the Elear (although some people prefer the Elear’s warmer sound). You may be one of those people, but like I’ve said before it would be foolish to discard the Clear without trying it!

With this greater detail, the imaging and placement within the soundstage is incredible, on Bot the Clear and Utopias, plus, to my ears, the depth is significantly increased. With both these elements be spot on, it is highly enjoyable, and to be honest I don't even think about headstage when I'm listening to either one.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #4,329 of 12,592
I've heard this sentiment a few times and I must say I find it very hard to believe (at least the 'much, much' part). I assume you're comparing both with their stock pads? What sort of music are you mainly listening to?

I also used the Dekoni fen. pads on the Elear but must say that I like the stock ones more, something about the highs on the Dekoni pads sounds just ´off´ at least to me.

I am mainly listening to Rock (Radiohead, Pixies, Interpol) and some soundtracks (Hans Zimmer, Ennio Morricone) at the time. The Elears have more und warmer bass, but the Clears just excel at any other part. Especially the instrument seperation stands out. Additionally the strange midrange dip is gone on the Clears.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #4,330 of 12,592
It wasn't until I picked up an RME ADI-2 DAC that I understood how differently each of us hears things. This was a DAC that got nothing but rave reviews and I was certain that it was going to be a big step up from my ifi Black Label. A] Didn't even come close to the BL. Everybody told me that the amp section is weak and that I should just run it as a DAC and use an offboard HP amp. B] Not only am I sending the RME back to the retailer, but I'm not listening to anybody else's opinions about equipment in here. In regards to the Clears...they'll sound as good or as bad as the equipment they're connected to.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #4,331 of 12,592
It wasn't until I picked up an RME ADI-2 DAC that I understood how differently each of us hears things. This was a DAC that got nothing but rave reviews and I was certain that it was going to be a big step up from my ifi Black Label. A] Didn't even come close to the BL. Everybody told me that the amp section is weak and that I should just run it as a DAC and use an offboard HP amp. B] Not only am I sending the RME back to the retailer, but I'm not listening to anybody else's opinions about equipment in here. In regards to the Clears...they'll sound as good or as bad as the equipment they're connected to.
That's an excellent observation. I have a particular preference for discrete R2R ladder dacs - been hooked ever since I heard the Audio-gd R2R-11 and Denafrips Ares. Now I have the Audio-gd R-28, which is fully balanced with an exceptionally powerful and transparent amp section, so any headphones I use have to work well with it or they're out (given it's the last amp/dac I want to buy for many years to come if I can help it).

So far the LCD-3 and Elear have scaled beautifully and I can clearly hear any changes I make to the sound profile of the dac (it has options for OS, NOS and several iterations of each, plus warm/neutral settings, plus firmware-controlled FPGA array). I've previously heard dac/amps that are touted as "industry standard" like the Benchmark 2, and to be frank, they suck (as in, they suck for my musical tastes), mostly by being far too neutral and unexciting, which is probably great in recording studios but not so much for musical enjoyment. I've also had and enjoyed the ifi Micro iDSD (silver), which was warm and punchy and powerful, although the R-28 takes all of that to an entirely different level to my ears (but don't trust my ears, trust yours!).

All that said I'm very curious to hear how the R-28 sounds through the Clear, which by all accounts is as neutral and transparent as they come.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #4,332 of 12,592
Additionally the strange midrange dip is gone on the Clears.
If anyone can point out a track or two where this so-called dip is in evidence, I'd love to hear it. I'm yet to hear anything of the sort with the Elear. Then again I don't have golden ears, and dislike brightness of any sort, so perhaps I perceive a dip in the upper mids/lower treble as a 'sweet spot' for my ears.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #4,333 of 12,592
If anyone can point out a track or two where this so-called dip is in evidence, I'd love to hear it. I'm yet to hear anything of the sort with the Elear. Then again I don't have golden ears, and dislike brightness of any sort, so perhaps I perceive a dip in the upper mids/lower treble as a 'sweet spot' for my ears.

I think, it is obvious in almost every track with a voice in it. Once I switch to the Clears, I can just hear the mids coming forward again.

Aug 23, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #4,334 of 12,592
I think, it is obvious in almost every track with a voice in it. Once I switch to the Clears, I can just hear the mids coming forward again.
To my ears the Elear's vocals aren't any more forward (or recessed) than the Atticus, which has very full and slightly forward mids. I've read many comments calling female vocals on the Elears 'distant' but I'm not hearing it at all. If anything most vocals are front and centre, as they should be, depending on how the track is mixed of course. Listen to Heidi Talbot's 'If You Stay', for example, and tell me the vocals are in any way recessed. This is my go-to track for testing female vocals, as any deficiency in the highly detailed and textured voice is immediately noticeable.

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #4,335 of 12,592
I do think they make good complements, but lately I find myself grabbing the Clear a lot more than the LCD-3F due to preferring the sound of the Clear for most tracks. The Clear is neutral and transparent in a way that makes me feel I'm connecting with the music more directly, whereas the LCD-3F imposes more of its own personality (more muscular bass, and a silky treble sheen which is pleasant but also a bit artificial compared to the neutrality of the Clear). Right now, if I could have only one open-back headphone, it would be the Clear, and I wouldn't really feel that I'm missing out on much. For fans of the Clear, I also recommend giving the i4 a try.
2nd that. The i4's are just amazing. Out of the Dave, SP1000, Ak7011 and even my iPhone. Incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back