Focal Clear headphones
Aug 22, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #4,291 of 12,651
Not really seeing the irony, but I also didn't say people shouldn't complain. Complain all you want, but if it's something that seems like a complaint that could've been avoided by educating oneself, or a complaint that seems stupid in general, then I may chose to comment on it. Just like the people who chose to complain.

You don't own the Clear, but you're going to read the thread anyway and complain if you hear too many complaints related to the Clear? Makes no sense unless you have an agenda to defend all things Focal.

Aug 22, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #4,292 of 12,651
You don't own the Clear, but you're going to read the thread anyway and complain if you hear too many complaints related to the Clear? Makes no sense unless you have an agenda to defend all things Focal.

I actually had to "unignore" you just to see this and respond lol.

Nope, I certainly don't own the Clear, but I've owned both it's little and big brothers, so I know a decent amount about Focal and their high-end cans. I'm not here to defend anything, only express my opinions and play devil's advocate here and there.

Now here's some irony, you complaining about someone posting in a thread when that person doesn't own said headphone. If I recall correctly, you were the one spamming the Utopia and Clear threads expounding all this new found "knowledge" regarding psycho-acoustics as if you were the first to discover this info.

Something, something, glass houses?

Aug 22, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #4,294 of 12,651
Jeez, that's an expensive meltdown!

What happened? Was it a tube amp or SS?

It was the Lyr 3, guessing the new tube shorted, I’ll never leave my headphones in after inserting new tubes again, life lesson.

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #4,296 of 12,651
Is it OK to run a tube amp without headphones connected?[/QUOT

It won't hurt the amp, a lot of people will let tubes ”cook” for a certain time period. A bad tube (at least a short) is going to show itself right away, so it would have saved my headphones.

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #4,297 of 12,651
Is it OK to run a tube amp without headphones connected?
A lot advise it actually. Doesn't have to be a ridiculous amount of time, something like 10 min would benefit the tubes getting to optimal heat. Its all amp and tube specific, but if you let the tube amp cook a little before you start listening you could at least give your self time to see if there are any problems like @Wildcatsare1 reported.

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #4,298 of 12,651
D46eWjZ

D46eWjZ

5nI46Hlg.jpg

After the pad discussion I justed wanted to share my thoughts about the sound and I must say that the Clears are pretty good so far, much much (!) better than the Elears.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #4,299 of 12,651
D46eWjZ

D46eWjZ

5nI46Hlg.jpg

After the pad discussion I justed wanted to share my thoughts about the sound and I must say that the Clears are pretty good so far, much much (!) better than the Elears.
I've heard this sentiment a few times and I must say I find it very hard to believe (at least the 'much, much' part). I assume you're comparing both with their stock pads? What sort of music are you mainly listening to?

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #4,300 of 12,651
I have owned the Elear, Utopia and now the Clears. I think all 3 are great sounding headphones each having their own strengths and merits. I guess you could call me a bit of a Focal fanboy though so take my comments with a pinch of salt.

Clear pads and headband cleaned with Sonax Alacantra cleaner this morning. They are still drying out but early results look promising!

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #4,301 of 12,651
I have owned the Elear, Utopia and now the Clears. I think all 3 are great sounding headphones each having their own strengths and merits. I guess you could call me a bit of a Focal fanboy though so take my comments with a pinch of salt.

Clear pads and headband cleaned with Sonax Alacantra cleaner this morning. They are still drying out but early results look promising!
Would love to get your impressions of Elear vs Clear, especially in light of the 'much, much better' comment above. I love my Elwar - but even more so with a change in pads. YMMV but I don't think I'd enjoy any more treble or any less bass than what I'm hearing now, and mids are Goldilocks perfect.

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #4,302 of 12,651
I've heard this sentiment a few times and I must say I find it very hard to believe (at least the 'much, much' part). I assume you're comparing both with their stock pads? What sort of music are you mainly listening to?

It's the fixed upper-mid dip, the refined treble, and the better tamed/controlled bass (not to mention the increased detail retrieval). A/B-ing back and forth on the Elear and Clear makes these differences pretty clear (no pun intended).

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #4,303 of 12,651
It's the fixed upper-mid dip, the refined treble, and the better tamed/controlled bass (not to mention the increased detail retrieval). A/B-ing back and forth on the Elear and Clear makes these differences pretty clear (no pun intended).
I've never had an issue with the upper-mid 'dip' (never heard it so much as never had an issue with it, especially with the Dekoni fenestrated pads); the bass is just right in terms of volume, punch and extension, and is both faster and more detailed than my Atticus (which says something), and the treble is perfectly rolled off so that no song has sibilance ever without any loss in air or sparkle. So if the Clear reduces (assume that's what you mean by tamed) bass, increases or extends the treble and lifts the upper-mids, I may in fact find the Clear too bright and fatiguing, which is how I've seen it described from time to time compared to slightly warmer headphones like the Elear.

Still waiting on the local agent in my country to get Clear stock (haven't had for months), so hopefully I'll get a chance to try it myself soon enough. One thing's for sure, it'll have to be mind-blowing to better the sound I'm getting from the Elear (given everything else - looks, comfort, weight) are the same - and keep in mind I already own the LCD-3F which is another level altogether.

PS. I'm yet to find a genre the Elear doesn't do well, be it acoustic, folk, rock (it's the best Def Leppard headphone I've ever heard, LCD included), pop. I don't do metal, rap or RnB, so YMMV. The only things I mark it down on is comfort (smallish pads, silly headband) and soundstage width, traits I believe are shared with the Clear.

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #4,304 of 12,651
I've never had an issue with the upper-mid 'dip' (never heard it so much as never had an issue with it, especially with the Dekoni fenestrated pads); the bass is just right in terms of volume, punch and extension, and is both faster and more detailed than my Atticus (which says something), and the treble is perfectly rolled off so that no song has sibilance ever without any loss in air or sparkle. So if the Clear reduces (assume that's what you mean by tamed) bass, increases or extends the treble and lifts the upper-mids, I may in fact find the Clear too bright and fatiguing, which is how I've seen it described from time to time compared to slightly warmer headphones like the Elear.

Still waiting on the local agent in my country to get Clear stock (haven't had for months), so hopefully I'll get a chance to try it myself soon enough. One thing's for sure, it'll have to be mind-blowing to better the sound I'm getting from the Elear (given everything else - looks, comfort, weight) are the same - and keep in mind I already own the LCD-3F which is another level altogether.

PS. I'm yet to find a genre the Elear doesn't do well, be it acoustic, folk, rock (it's the best Def Leppard headphone I've ever heard, LCD included), pop. I don't do metal, rap or RnB, so YMMV. The only things I mark it down on is comfort (smallish pads, silly headband) and soundstage width, traits I believe are shared with the Clear.

I thought the same about the Elear and it's shortcomings. Until I listened to the Utopia, and eventually the Clear.

After that, the issues with the Elear were stabbing me in the ears. But, if you're happy, then stick with what you've got.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #4,305 of 12,651

I found that the Clear has noticeably more clarity and detail than the Elear.

I don't find the Clear to be more fatiguing than the LCD-3F. The Clear is maybe a touch brighter, but more in the sense of more clarity and detail rather than a sense of more treble. The Clear doesn't lack bass, but the 'shape' of the bass is different than the LCD-3F; when I listen to Clear, I pretty much never think "I need more bass"; when I listen to the LCD-3F, I sometimes think "that's some impressive bass" but it's never too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back