Focal Clear headphones
Aug 23, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #4,306 of 12,651
I thought the same about the Elear and it's shortcomings. Until I listened to the Utopia, and eventually the Clear.

After that, the issues with the Elear were stabbing me in the ears. But, if you're happy, then stick with what you've got.
I don't doubt the Clear is different, and very curious to hear if those differences are for the better. If they are, it'll be the only headphone I've heard to date that could displace the Elear as my daily driver (for 'reasonable' money that is). Maybe the Auteur too, although in my limited time with it I found it a touch too bright and sibilant with some tracks.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #4,307 of 12,651
Im going from memory as I've not heard the Elears in around 18 months so im probably not the best placed person to comment. However that being said going from memory I would say the Clear has ever so slightly more resolution and detail retrieval than the Elear. The Clear could be described as the brighter sound signature of the two but I wouldn't want people thinking this is a bright headphone, as it's really not. I also think the Clear as better overall balance across the freq spectrum. I do concur with you that the Elear played every kind of genre of music I had in my collection extremely well. The only slight negative I had was every now and then on a very busy piece of music it would kinda sound a bit congested and lose a bit of control with seperation/imaging. This may have been attrributed to the overall smaller soundstage width but im not sure. All I know is I didn't experience this with the Utopia using the same equipment and the same source.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #4,308 of 12,651
I found that the Clear has noticeably more clarity and detail than the Elear.

I don't find the Clear to be more fatiguing than the LCD-3F. The Clear is maybe a touch brighter, but more in the sense of more clarity and detail rather than a sense of more treble. The Clear doesn't lack bass, but the 'shape' of the bass is different than the LCD-3F; when I listen to Clear, I pretty much never think "I need more bass"; when I listen to the LCD-3F, I sometimes think "that's some impressive bass" but it's never too much.
Oddly enough I find the Elear about equal to the LCD-3F in terms of clarity and detail, although the presentation is very different, being altogether more dynamic, punchy and narrow as opposed to the holographic, spacious and large LCD-3 sound. Drum impact is better with the Elear (as in kick drums), but rumble and linearity is better on the LCD-3. I find the Elear has there absolute perfect amount of treble for me, perhaps a touch less than the LCD-3F, and is also somewhat drier in the mids. If the Clear is brighter than the LCD-3F I may not enjoy it as much as some here seem to, as I'm very treble sensitive.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #4,309 of 12,651
I've never had an issue with the upper-mid 'dip' (never heard it so much as never had an issue with it, especially with the Dekoni fenestrated pads); the bass is just right in terms of volume, punch and extension, and is both faster and more detailed than my Atticus (which says something), and the treble is perfectly rolled off so that no song has sibilance ever without any loss in air or sparkle. So if the Clear reduces (assume that's what you mean by tamed) bass, increases or extends the treble and lifts the upper-mids, I may in fact find the Clear too bright and fatiguing, which is how I've seen it described from time to time compared to slightly warmer headphones like the Elear.

Still waiting on the local agent in my country to get Clear stock (haven't had for months), so hopefully I'll get a chance to try it myself soon enough. One thing's for sure, it'll have to be mind-blowing to better the sound I'm getting from the Elear (given everything else - looks, comfort, weight) are the same - and keep in mind I already own the LCD-3F which is another level altogether.

PS. I'm yet to find a genre the Elear doesn't do well, be it acoustic, folk, rock (it's the best Def Leppard headphone I've ever heard, LCD included), pop. I don't do metal, rap or RnB, so YMMV. The only things I mark it down on is comfort (smallish pads, silly headband) and soundstage width, traits I believe are shared with the Clear.
Elear used to be my daily driver aswell, didn’t have any issues with their tonality for a good while and absolutely loved them for all music.
Then I tried using Sonarworks Reference 4 with them, smoothing out the frequency response and making them more neutral. After that, the weaknesses in the Elear’s stock tonality became apparent to me.

Then after using Elear+sonarworks for a while, I heard the Clear and it absolutely loved it at first listen. Very very similar to my eq’d Elear, but a touch more dynamic, clear, confident.
If you’re happy with your Elear then great for you! But you definitely shouldn’t write off the Clear without giving it a proper audition first

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #4,310 of 12,651
The only slight negative I had was every now and then on a very busy piece of music it would kinda sound a bit congested and lose a bit of control with seperation/imaging. This may have been attrributed to the overall smaller soundstage width but im not sure. All I know is I didn't experience this with the Utopia using the same equipment and the same source.
I would definitely attribute this to the smaller soundstage, which two me is the one shortcoming of the Elear sound signature. When I want to listen to a really complex piece of music, I either lower the volume or switch to the LCD-3F. I would imagine the Utopia, with its microscopic detail retrieval, eats complex music for breakfast - although that's not always a good thing if you're looking to relax! :wink:

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #4,311 of 12,651
Personally i used to shy away from everything remotely bright (still not a fan of Beyerdynamic for example), and loved the HD650, LCD-2 etc. Kind of sound. At that time, the Elear was actually pushing it in terms of my treble sensitivity.
As time went by and my listening experience grew, I actually found my preferences to gradually lean towards a more neutral tonality, and nowadays the Clear just sounds downright perfect to me

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #4,312 of 12,651
If you’re happy with your Elear then great for you! But you definitely shouldn’t write off the Clear without giving it a proper audition first
I haven't written off the Clear at all - if anything it's probably the last headphone left that I'm interested in trying. I'd have to swap out the pads and do something with the grey headband, but if the sound fits the universal praise it's getting, it'll be worth it. Either that or I'll just get an Auteur, learn how to tame its treble and be done with it. By the looks of it, though, the Elear isn't going anywhere, not with the price difference to the Clear/Auteur being what it is.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #4,313 of 12,651
I haven't written off the Clear at all - if anything it's probably the last headphone left that I'm interested in trying. I'd have to swap out the pads and do something with the grey headband, but if the sound fits the universal praise it's getting, it'll be worth it. Either that or I'll just get an Auteur, learn how to tame its treble and be done with it. By the looks of it, though, the Elear isn't going anywhere, not with the price difference to the Clear/Auteur being what it is.

Curious, are you against owning the Pro version? At least then you can avoid the grey headband you're worried about.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #4,314 of 12,651
As time went by and my listening experience grew, I actually found my preferences to gradually lean towards a more neutral tonality, and nowadays the Clear just sounds downright perfect to me
I still feel that way, especially having heard the Auteur (which is the poster child for laid-back high-end neutral, even more so than the Clear) and finding it a touch too bright. That said, it has alternate pads that help tame the treble and boost the bass, and like you I could over time learn to live with a more neutral presentation. I steer well clear of anything with a Beyer or AKG logo on it! :p

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #4,315 of 12,651
Curious, are you against owning the Pro version? At least then you can avoid the grey headband you're worried about.
Not necessarily. And it comes with a spare set of pads. Will have to see it in person though, which I intend doing as soon as the local dealer has stock.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #4,316 of 12,651
I would definitely attribute this to the smaller soundstage, which two me is the one shortcoming of the Elear sound signature. When I want to listen to a really complex piece of music, I either lower the volume or switch to the LCD-3F. I would imagine the Utopia, with its microscopic detail retrieval, eats complex music for breakfast - although that's not always a good thing if you're looking to relax! :wink:
it’s not all down to the soundstage size, for example the Clear and Utopia both have similar soundstage sizes to the Elear but they do better with complex music. I’d say it’s more about the tonality, and a better sense of «control».

Tbh, the Clear is just a superior headphone to the Elear (although some people prefer the Elear’s warmer sound). You may be one of those people, but like I’ve said before it would be foolish to discard the Clear without trying it!

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #4,317 of 12,651
I still feel that way, especially having heard the Auteur (which is the poster child for laid-back high-end neutral, even more so than the Clear) and finding it a touch too bright. That said, it has alternate pads that help tame the treble and boost the bass, and like you I could over time learn to live with a more neutral presentation. I steer well clear of anything with a Beyer or AKG label on it! :p

I think you just need to try the Clear. I liked it more than the Elear (and Utopia), and lately I tend to prefer it over the LCD-3F too. The Clear is wonderfully clear/transparent and balanced, and I don't find it fatiguing even after hours, despite being averse to excessive/artificial brightness. The review by Tyll matches my impressions very well: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/focal-clear-over-ear-open-headphones

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #4,318 of 12,651
You may be one of those people, but like I’ve said before it would be foolish to discard the Clear without trying it!
Yep, I probably am. It's hard enough listening to these great headphones having come off my heavy bass addiction, now you want me to go neutral!? :wink: I'd never write off a headphone without hearing it first; the issues I've had with the Clear to date are based solely on its colour and material, and that's based on my experience with the Elear material. I have no doubt the sound is endgame - as are all the Focals.

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #4,319 of 12,651
I think you just need to try the Clear. I liked it more than the Elear (and Utopia), and lately I tend to prefer it over the LCD-3F too. The Clear is wonderfully clear/transparent and balanced, and I don't find it fatiguing even after hours, despite being averse to excessive/artificial brightness. The review by Tyll matches my impressions very well: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/focal-clear-over-ear-open-headphones
Would you say the Clear would be a good daily complement to the more laid-back, port wine listening of the LCD-3?

Aug 23, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #4,320 of 12,651
Oh and regarding the person who bought a 6 month old Clear that was filthy:
Imo that’s the previous owner’s fault. My Clear is not much newer than that, and the demo model i’ve tried is older than that, and both holding up very well. Mine still feels like barely broken in, and looks like new.

Actually, my old Elear’s black pads became dirty-looking faster because the black color shows attracted dust easier. And with the Alcantara cleaner that was posted here, my biggest fear would be the pads compressing and flattening over time. Hasn’t happened yet fortunately. If it eventually happens, yeah it sucks that the pads are 200$. One would think that they should be able to sell the pads at lower cost when brands like Dekoni makes pads for Focal headphones for half that price... but I guess it’s impossible to say without actually knowing the production costs of the focal pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back