Focal Clear headphones
May 14, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #3,587 of 12,550
Me too.

May 14, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3,589 of 12,550
On another note I was saddened to see that Tyll Hertsens is retiring from Inner Fidelity and audio reviews in general. I'm going to miss his reviews. It was his enthusiastic review of the Clears that enabled me to discover these great 'phones.
Same here. Maybe he found his end game in the clears :)

May 14, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #3,590 of 12,550
Same here. Maybe he found his end game in the clears :)

You know, I kind of thought he would have since he liked them so much. But in his "good-bye" video he mentioned he was taking the A&K240 and 2 paires of headphones: Mr Speakers Aeon Flow open and Aeon closed.

May 14, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #3,591 of 12,550
Of course it's allowed.
I mean, I wouldn't want to pay my employees while they were listening to music, but if that's your thing.....
What kind of monster are you? :wink: I work in an office environment where you’re crazy if you don’t have at least one pair of headphones handy. If you don’t think I should get paid for working with headphones, then I’m not working for you. It’s a solid indicator that we’d have a problem in our working relationship :)

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #3,592 of 12,550
I tried shaking my head and pressing the cups, even at very low volume I can't spot creaking, for sure your replacement unit will be free of that issue. Just as a curiousity, do you have to extend them much? I extend mine 5 or 6 clicks (each side).
7 each side. I don’t think it’s that part of it that’s creaking, rather the springloaded hinge that rotates against the side of my face. It’s not subtle once you have the weight of the cable contributing to the rotation. I know you guys would hear it if you had the issue, which is why I believe it’s a limited, but still far too prevalent problem. If/when I get an exchange at my dealer, I’ll definitely test it thoroughly in this regard.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #3,593 of 12,550
I don't mean any disrespect here but I have to ask, how much moving around do you people do?

When I listen, I sit....
and I listen....
and I don't move.
Actually I only move when it's time to change the music.

Unless people are doing other things while they have a $1,500 headphone on their head?
I know some of you use them while you work at your desk, for example.
But do you need a $1,500 headphone for that?
Not trying to be a d***. Just wondering.
Sometimes moving to the music is nice. It’s not like I’m out mowing the lawn or something.

May 14, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #3,594 of 12,550
Sometimes moving to the music is nice. It’s not like I’m out mowing the lawn or something.
Speak for yourself. I wear my HD800 while mowing the yard all the times...I told a neighbor who asked that they were my ear pro :beyersmile:

May 14, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #3,595 of 12,550
Creaking would be the least of my concerns, irritating as it is. How do you guys actually keep your Clear pads and headband from discolouring!?

I just bought a used Elear, and pretty much have to throw the pads away they’re so grimy. Thankfully the headband and actual ear pad material is still intact, and thankfully on the Elear it’s dark. I have no idea how you Clear owners intend to keep them clean, but with regular use they are going to discolour, or worse. And guess what - headband isn’t replaceable.

Comfortable as it is, I have no idea who thought using microsuede for the two parts of a headphone that regularly come into contact with oily skin and hair was a good idea!? Either they don’t sweat in France, or the designers completely ignored the practicalities of daily headphone use when they made them.

There’s a reason why the Utopia (and any other half decent headphone down to $500) is all-leather. At the very least Focal should have done the same for the rest of the models. But not only did they not, they then went and made their $1500 headphones with light grey fabric!

First thing I did on getting my Elears was order in a pair of Dekoni leather pads. Next I’ll find a solution to protect the headband that doesn’t involve putting a cleaning cloth on my head every time I use them.

Really Focal, we shouldn’t have to protect our expensive luxury headwear from our heads! Or at least make the headband and pads both replaceable and affordable.

/rant
I used these to protect the headband and easier to take off and wash. Ear pads will be tough though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D6UIBWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 14, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #3,596 of 12,550
Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #3,597 of 12,550
I mean, I wouldn't want to pay my employees while they were listening to music, but if that's your thing.....

This is ridiculous. I am significantly more productive listening to music than I am in silence, and my experience has been that a lot of people are as well. If you value... I don't even know what over productivity, then what's the point of even working? It just seems like a ridiculous policy. Maybe you could clarify your reasoning a little more.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #3,599 of 12,550
Somebody sounds like some sort of an ogre even if it's not you. Of course, I'm not necessarily suggesting a one size fits all approach. Someone whose job it is to interact with people on a near constant basis probably shouldn't listen to music, but I suspect the vast majority of jobs that people who are posting here have are not like that (maybe that's a poor assumption, though). What other justifications are there for that sort of policy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back