1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Clear headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by mtoc, Oct 1, 2017.
First

Back
231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240
242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251
Next

Last
  1. Jin Choi
    Would you be able to listen for hours fairly easily still? Heard the Clears were quite comfy

2. Jin Choi
    awesome thanks!

3. bidn
    I understood him to be a friend with Dan Clark, so maybe he announced to Dan that he was retiring and Dan, upon hearing this, donated these Mrspeakers headphones to him.

BTW, what I especially appreciated with Tyll was that he was no doing his expert reviews in exchange of receiving the possession of the many expensive items he was reviewing ( I don't trust reviews by those who "receive" or "are provided" expensive items as a present in exchange of a review, as is often the case). The more so for Tyll that, from his last videos, he appears to be rather short on money.
    He is truly very honest.

As he once said, he would keep on loan those headphones being on the WoF. I understand he handed them, ind. the Clear, over to his successor.

So many thanks and all the best to you, Tyll.

xxx1313 and bluenight like this.
  4. Raphael DeLaGhetto
    I just learned that the Clear has the same mechanical clipping that the other 3 in the family have, so what do you guys think is the closest alternative to the Clear?

5. gLer
    My take: you’ll go deaf before you hear clipping (unless your pair is faulty). But if that’s still unacceptable, the ZMF Auteur is similarly priced and better reviewed.

bidn likes this.
  6. Raphael DeLaGhetto
    Well you've seen my luck with my pairs of Elexs. I'd rather not risk it. I've heard the Auteur on solid state & tube. I plan to buy a pair soon but for different reasons than Focal's sound. The Auteur is warmish but mostly neutral. The Clear is punchy & energetic. I still want a pair of cans with that type of sound in my collection.

7. gLer
    I hear you. The Focal sound is quite unique in that regard. That’s why I got myself an Elear, which is arguably the most punchy and energetic of them all. I tested my Elear for clipping and indeed it does, but at volumes I’d never push it to. Can’t think of any other open headphone with the same sound profile tbh. Some get close but are weaker in other areas. I also have an Atticus and LCD-3 and my Elear is the most dynamic of the three.

8. Raphael DeLaGhetto
    Yeah, I might be SOL here. I'm eyeing the Beyerdynamic DT1990s, but if I can't quite get there what I may end up doing is going to a dealership & trying a bunch of different pairs until I find one without a super sensitive SPL tolerance. I love Focal's sound so much, but I just can't have that nagging thought of a crackle coming in the back of my head when I listen. I wouldn't do that for a pair of $700 headphones so I'm certainly not going to do it for a pair over twice as much.

9. Ojisan
    I have only auditioned it in less than ideal condition but I thought the AKG K812 had the best punchy and energetic sound next to Focal. Its tonal color is closer to Utopia than Clear though, so less warmth and less bass. In the same environment, DT1990 didn't impress me. Not without pros/cons but you might want to at least check it out.

Raphael DeLaGhetto likes this.
  10. colonelkernel8
    If you're listening to the point of mechanical clipping, you won't have to worry about it too long, as you'll be deaf shortly.

lentoviolento, gLer and cardeli22 like this.
  11. gLer
    I listened to the AKG K812 once. That was enough. Hope to never have to pick up another pair again. Bright, shrieky and thin. Not quite sure where AKG was aiming with them, but they missed. Not a fan of the Beyers either, but haven’t heard the latest series tbh.

12. dontfeedphils
    Following your posts on the Elex thread, where this "issue" is being blown way out of proportion (as it was when the Elear and Utopia first came out). The mechanical clipping is obviously intentional, but it seems that the SPL level that they clip at varies quite a bit, especially on the Elex (which was based on the Elear, which seemed to have the most issues with inconsistent clipping levels).

I've heard of very few Utopia running into this problem, and I can't say I've heard anything on here complain about it in regards to the Clear.

Grab a Clear and give it a try. This issue is being blow out of proportion and I think you got the short end of the stick on both of your Elex sets.

colonelkernel8 and bidn like this.
  13. Raphael DeLaGhetto
    Given the fact that my first pair clipped at a much lower dB than the second & there's another user who's pair clipped at 60dB there's clearly variance but yeah, I'll for sure go deaf first. Hardy har har...

I'll see. It's gonna take a few months to save up the difference for the Clear anyway so I have time to think about it.

14. BunnyNamedCraig
    yeah this kind of worries me when people are saying this about the Clear. I wonder what the easiest/least expensive way to check decibel level of a headphone?

I have yet to hear it crack but I know people have gotten to that level. I guess i'm not rocking out hard enough!

15. doraymon
    Anyone recently transitioned from Clear to Utopia or vice versa and can post comments on the main sound differences?

First

Back
231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240
242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251
Next

Last