Focal Clear headphones
Jan 30, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #8,641 of 12,597
Hi!
So my Clears arrived 2 days ago, I wont write about sound (coming from k701 so im waiting for brain burn in), but in first song i ever listened here i noticed some clipping, i was thinking ok maybe its too loud (it wasnt that hard...), then i put some other song and on third song I almost jumped from chair - this one was loud, but i would say max 90db, definitely not more - huge clip from left ear. I was trying and trying lot of stuff, it became ok-ish, I was still like "should i return them?''
BUT THEN I wanted to play my favorite song called "lil happy lil sad - survive" which i loved on akg k701 because i could turn it up so loud and it was still clean as fk. But i didnt turn it up turbo loud on Clears (i was afraid of clip), AND THE CLIP realy Come, but I put "Decibel X" app on smartphone to measure the loudness (ok its a Phone app.. but still...) it says only 75db...yea it was realy just a medium volume and it clipped, so from now on im pretty sure i have a bad pair...

Can you give me some thoughts if THIS IS THE CLIPPING we are talking about? (I searched a little and found out its "common" with Focal).
I will upload YouTube video in a few mins as i recorded it.... Is this the clipping to return it?

Thanks!

Honestly, sounds defective to me if the listening levels really are that low. Make a warranty claim or return it for a replacement if possible.

I'm aware mechanical clipping is something that happens in more extreme conditions but I wouldn't expect it based on the scenario(s) you described.

Jan 30, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #8,642 of 12,597
Honestly, sounds defective to me if the listening levels really are that low. Make a warranty claim or return it for a replacement if possible.

I'm aware mechanical clipping is something that happens in more extreme conditions but I wouldn't expect it based on the scenario(s) you described.
ye bro thanks look the video is here, this is definitely bad unit imo!

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #8,643 of 12,597
Hi!
So my Clears arrived 2 days ago, I wont write about sound (coming from k701 so im waiting for brain burn in), but in first song i ever listened here i noticed some clipping, i was thinking ok maybe its too loud (it wasnt that hard...), then i put some other song and on third song I almost jumped from chair - this one was loud, but i would say max 90db, definitely not more - huge clip from left ear. I was trying and trying lot of stuff, it became ok-ish, I was still like "should i return them?''
BUT THEN I wanted to play my favorite song called "lil happy lil sad - survive" which i loved on akg k701 because i could turn it up so loud and it was still clean as fk. But i didnt turn it up turbo loud on Clears (i was afraid of clip), AND THE CLIP realy Come, but I put "Decibel X" app on smartphone to measure the loudness (ok its a Phone app.. but still...) it says only 75db...yea it was realy just a medium volume and it clipped, so from now on im pretty sure i have a bad pair...

Can you give me some thoughts if THIS IS THE CLIPPING we are talking about? (I searched a little and found out its "common" with Focal).
I will upload YouTube video in a few mins as i recorded it.... Is this the clipping to return it?

The video is here:

And can anyone try that song "lil happy lil sad survive" (tidal)? It clip as soon as the bass kick start hitting in 00:20 (ot also clips a little in first 2 secs of song, but thats the mastering)

Thanks!

Same scenario that happened with my Elear on 1 side and thought it's caused by loudness till it went totally dead, ended up a faulty can and your case seems the same. It's a common Focal issue but warranty should cover it, no questions asked.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #8,644 of 12,597
Hi!

The video is here:

And can anyone try that song "lil happy lil sad survive" (tidal)? It clip as soon as the bass kick start hitting in 00:20 (ot also clips a little in first 2 secs of song, but thats the mastering)

Thanks!

Before you do anything, please re-plug the cable in to make sure the cable is working. And if possible, use something other than the stock cable to test. I had a Elex with a bad cable, and it gave me rattling which I thought was clipping at first. If it still sounds clipping with a different cable, then you probably do have a faulty pair, especially if it is coming from only one driver and at only 75 dB.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #8,645 of 12,597
Before you do anything, please re-plug the cable in to make sure the cable is working. And if possible, use something other than the stock cable to test. I had a Elex with a bad cable, and it gave me rattling which I thought was clipping at first. If it still sounds clipping with a different cable, then you probably do have a faulty pair, especially if it is coming from only one driver and at only 75 dB.

Thanks for answering, I tried repluging cable for like 8 times, dont have any other cable tho :/ (also tried the smaller jack + adapter, still same).

Crap Im little disapointed about these. K701 had so much to offer for its price. Im not feeling it with the Clears yet... it sounds so muffled to me :/

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #8,646 of 12,597
Thanks for answering, I tried repluging cable for like 8 times, dont have any other cable tho :/ (also tried the smaller jack + adapter, still same).

Crap Im little disapointed about these. K701 had so much to offer for its price. Im not feeling it with the Clears yet... it sounds so muffled to me :/
A working Clear should not disappoint, a faulty cable may cause problems but not sure about clipping but just in case try a different cable or try this cable with another headphone.

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #8,647 of 12,597
Clipping at 75db is not normal. I'd return them or get them replaced asap. With most material, you shouldn't see any clipping issues below 105-110db or more, and frankly you shouldn't be listening that loud in the first place. Now there were times I heard clipping with mine at normal volumes, but it was with material where the deep bass was pushed way up, and the HD650 clipped with the same material too. The electrostatics didn't.

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #8,649 of 12,597
Does the Focal Clear have one of the most garbage cables ever seen on a high-end headphone? One of the cables (the short one) has failed like the way cables of very cheap headphones fail.

I always thought the cables of the Clear was a big downgrade from the Utopia in terms of build quality and it seems that my suspicions were correct.

Actually, the shop where I bought these from already warned me about these cables last year, but I figured he simply tried to up-sell me into buying some expensive 3rd party cables. Seems he was right.

I will do a warranty claim since I am not really interested in buying an expensive 3rd party cable for a $1500 headphone to be honest. However this raises concerns for headphones like the Stellia, and all the other new ones as they use a similar type of cable of the Clear.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #8,650 of 12,597
Does the Focal Clear have one of the most garbage cables ever seen on a high-end headphone? One of the cables (the short one) has failed like the way cables of very cheap headphones fail.

I always thought the cables of the Clear was a big downgrade from the Utopia in terms of build quality and it seems that my suspicions were correct.

Actually, the shop where I bought these from already warned me about these cables last year, but I figured he simply tried to up-sell me into buying some expensive 3rd party cables. Seems he was right.

I will do a warranty claim since I am not really interested in buying an expensive 3rd party cable for a $1500 headphone to be honest. However this raises concerns for headphones like the Stellia, and all the other new ones as they use a similar type of cable of the Clear.
Not sure about the Clear cable but the Elear cable is soo beefy heavy and sturdy and it’s sold separately for $220 but if you are interested in upgrading it as i did to my Ananda cable, check those:
https://corpsecable.com/

Jan 31, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #8,651 of 12,597
Miss posted

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #8,652 of 12,597

Focal cables in general are a crapshoot. You could get lucky with a working one, but I still always use third party cables because most of them are more flexible and more reliable. You can find good cheap ones (under $50) on Amazon, or look on Etsy or eBay for custom made ones. You don’t have to shell $100+ on a good quality cable.

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #8,653 of 12,597
Focal cables in general are a crapshoot. You could get lucky with a working one, but I still always use third party cables because most of them are more flexible and more reliable. You can find good cheap ones (under $50) on Amazon, or look on Etsy or eBay for custom made ones. You don’t have to shell $100+ on a good quality cable.
Won’t argue 😁

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #8,654 of 12,597

I have owned the Focal Clears for nearly three years and am very satisfied with the headphones, except for the cables. After much delay (and increasing entanglements of the cables), I ordered a pair of Arctic Signum cables last week after a few months of off and on research. See my brief post on the Arctic Cables thread if you are interested in exploring Arctic.

Other than the cables, the Clears are very fine headphones (and still with the original pads :) )

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #8,655 of 12,597
I do hear some people suggest that the Clear can be a bit too aggressive sounding, I think that’s my only thing holding me back right now. I like fun and engaging sounds but also don’t want to be fatigued!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back