1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Focal Clear headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by mtoc, Oct 1, 2017.
First

Back
233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242
244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253
Next

Last
  1. doraymon
    Thanks guys, I don’t want to go too much OT and pester both Utopia and Clear threads with my problem.
    I am pretty sure I will have to return the cans and ask to have them checked.

2. SilverEars
    I didn't think DAVE sounded to have a wide sound stage with the Utopia. Dave's tonality was certainly different than other sources I've heard. It's sibilance was thin sounding, making it sound toward faint, which was easier on the ears than the forward thick sibilance. So, the 6k didn't sound as energetic or lifted as it could be with other sources, as it's the part that causes the brightness of the Utopia. I just found Dave's overall tonality narrow sounding or didn't sound much bodied(although, it already isn't what I consider a warm headphone). Utopia sounded fitting with Dave, and worked well out of it, just that HEK sounded odd due to it's narrow tonality output characteristic.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    doraymon likes this.
  3. Luke Thomas
    On a diff note. looking for a planar headphone to compliment my clears. any suggestions?

4. koiloco
    budget?

5. Luke Thomas
    under $ 2000 thx

6. koiloco
    In which area would you like to complement your Clear?
    Better bass? More high extension? Better technicality? or just more fun?

With the Clear being very well rounded and having very good technicality and tonality already, it's going to be tough to find one at the $2000 budget.

7. Luke Thomas
    ill call it more bass and fun.
    Thx, more bass and fun.

8. koiloco
    If that's the case, my recommendation would be kind of an odd ball one but it will save you lots of $$$.

Look for a used HE-500. They come up on HF from time to time. The HE-500 will make you feel alive.
    The HE-500 have been the only HPs that usually got me tapping my toes...I still regret selling mine.

Surely, the newer offerings in the $2000 range would mostly have better technicality and more "neutral", "balanced" signatures but I haven't heard a set that I enjoy as much as the HE-500.

Others might have different suggestions for you. Gluck with your search.

PS: We are all closet bassheads in many ways. :L3000:

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  9. Luke Thomas
    thx.. i have the he 400 and its great

10. Thenewguy007
    Interesting perspective, what DAC did you have to compare to Dave to come to that conclusion?

11. gLer
    Not really. If you want equal or better technicalities than your Clear but with real planar bass and a holographic soundstage there’s only one I can think of: LCD-3.

12. koiloco
    He didn't want equal or better technicality or more holographic soundstage, just bass and fun.
    Even if he did, I wouldn't recommend LCD-3 cuz I would never consider LCD sound signatures "fun" in any ways or senses.

13. gLer
    Fair enough, I tend to agree with you. I consider my Elear and Atticus the fun listens, and the LCD-3 the refined premium listen. But I picked the LCD-3 because I couldn’t really think of any other planar to match the quality of the Clear and also be more ‘fun’.

14. Luke Thomas
    thx. the 500 might be hard to find. so do you have a thought on a new purchase.

15. koiloco
    :beerchug: You pretty much nailed it there regarding LCD-3F. Bass on LCD's has always been the bomb.

For new offerings, you could look into ZMF Atticus like gLerr suggested, or ZMF Eikon. Eikon has a bit better technicality but it seems that more ppl prefer Atticus when it comes to having some fun and easy listening.

bgbkt likes this.
First

Back
233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242
244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253
Next

Last