Focal Clear headphones
May 16, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #3,631 of 12,550
Thanks guys, I don’t want to go too much OT and pester both Utopia and Clear threads with my problem.
I am pretty sure I will have to return the cans and ask to have them checked.

May 16, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #3,632 of 12,550
I am listening to them straight out of the Dave...
I didn't think DAVE sounded to have a wide sound stage with the Utopia. Dave's tonality was certainly different than other sources I've heard. It's sibilance was thin sounding, making it sound toward faint, which was easier on the ears than the forward thick sibilance. So, the 6k didn't sound as energetic or lifted as it could be with other sources, as it's the part that causes the brightness of the Utopia. I just found Dave's overall tonality narrow sounding or didn't sound much bodied(although, it already isn't what I consider a warm headphone). Utopia sounded fitting with Dave, and worked well out of it, just that HEK sounded odd due to it's narrow tonality output characteristic.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #3,634 of 12,550
May 18, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #3,636 of 12,550
under $ 2000 thx
In which area would you like to complement your Clear?
Better bass? More high extension? Better technicality? or just more fun?

With the Clear being very well rounded and having very good technicality and tonality already, it's going to be tough to find one at the $2000 budget.

May 18, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #3,637 of 12,550

With the Clear being very well rounded and having very good technicality and tonality already, it's going to be tough to find one at the $2000 budget.
ill call it more bass and fun.

Thx, more bass and fun.

May 18, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3,638 of 12,550
ill call it more bass and fun.

Thx, more bass and fun.

If that's the case, my recommendation would be kind of an odd ball one but it will save you lots of $$$.

Look for a used HE-500. They come up on HF from time to time. The HE-500 will make you feel alive.
The HE-500 have been the only HPs that usually got me tapping my toes...I still regret selling mine.

Surely, the newer offerings in the $2000 range would mostly have better technicality and more "neutral", "balanced" signatures but I haven't heard a set that I enjoy as much as the HE-500.

Others might have different suggestions for you. Gluck with your search.

PS: We are all closet bassheads in many ways. :L3000:

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #3,639 of 12,550
If that's the case, my recommendation would be kind of an odd ball one but it will save you lots of $$$.

Look for a used HE-500. They come up on HF from time to time. The HE-500 will make you feel alive.
The HE-500 have been the only HPs that usually got me tapping my toes...I still regret selling mine.

Surely, the newer offerings in the $2000 range would mostly have better technicality and more "neutral", "balanced" signatures but I haven't heard a set that I enjoy as much as the HE-500.

Others might have different suggestions for you. Gluck with your search.

PS: We are all closet bassheads in many ways. :L3000:
thx.. i have the he 400 and its great

May 18, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #3,640 of 12,550
I didn't think DAVE sounded to have a wide sound stage with the Utopia. Dave's tonality was certainly different than other sources I've heard. It's sibilance was thin sounding, making it sound toward faint, which was easier on the ears than the forward thick sibilance. So, the 6k didn't sound as energetic or lifted as it could be with other sources, as it's the part that causes the brightness of the Utopia. I just found Dave's overall tonality narrow sounding or didn't sound much bodied(although, it already isn't what I consider a warm headphone). Utopia sounded fitting with Dave, and worked well out of it, just that HEK sounded odd due to it's narrow tonality output characteristic.

Interesting perspective, what DAC did you have to compare to Dave to come to that conclusion?

May 18, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #3,641 of 12,550

Not really. If you want equal or better technicalities than your Clear but with real planar bass and a holographic soundstage there’s only one I can think of: LCD-3.

May 18, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #3,642 of 12,550
Not really. If you want equal or better technicalities than your Clear but with real planar bass and a holographic soundstage there’s only one I can think of: LCD-3.
He didn't want equal or better technicality or more holographic soundstage, just bass and fun.
Even if he did, I wouldn't recommend LCD-3 cuz I would never consider LCD sound signatures "fun" in any ways or senses.

May 18, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #3,643 of 12,550
He didn't want equal or better technicality or more holographic soundstage, just bass and fun.
Even if he did, I wouldn't recommend LCD-3 cuz I would never consider LCD sound signatures "fun" in any ways or senses.
Fair enough, I tend to agree with you. I consider my Elear and Atticus the fun listens, and the LCD-3 the refined premium listen. But I picked the LCD-3 because I couldn’t really think of any other planar to match the quality of the Clear and also be more ‘fun’.

May 18, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #3,645 of 12,550
Fair enough, I tend to agree with you. I consider my Elear and Atticus the fun listens, and the LCD-3 the refined premium listen. But I picked the LCD-3 because I couldn’t really think of any other planar to match the quality of the Clear and also be more ‘fun’.
:beerchug: You pretty much nailed it there regarding LCD-3F. Bass on LCD's has always been the bomb.

thx. the 500 might be hard to find. so do you have a thought on a new purchase.
For new offerings, you could look into ZMF Atticus like gLerr suggested, or ZMF Eikon. Eikon has a bit better technicality but it seems that more ppl prefer Atticus when it comes to having some fun and easy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back