flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 11, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #32,536 of 39,414
Some initial impressions of Anole V14. All listening so far is with switches off.

Firstly, the bass. Wow… This has some very impressive bass. Right up there with the best BA bass I’ve heard and sounds a lot better than how I remember VX’s bass sounding. V14’s bass has plenty of texture and realistic decay like a DD. Transient speed is excellent. This is a bass response that I find very satisfying. I can’t detect any bloating or bleed into the mids. Sub bass extension is excellent. Mid bass has great slam. Overall, v14’s bass gets a BIG tick of approval from me.

Moving up to the mids, I am hearing a fairly balanced midrange that seems to present a little further back in the mix compared to VX from what I remember. I don’t think it sounds overly recessed, but I guess VX just sounded more forward by comparison IIRC. Vocal timbre on V14 sounds quite natural. I remember not really liking female vocals on VX. I used to find them rather unnatural. V14 by comparison sound a lot better in that regard. I think the mids are good overall, but nothing special either. We’ll see if that impression changes over time but I doubt it will.

Treble definitely sounds different to VX imo. There’s a smoothness to V14’s treble that I personally am enjoying thoroughly. VX’s treble had a lot of energy and zing, and I can see how some might prefer that. However I used to find VX’s treble quite fatiguing. V14 is much easier on my ears. There’s plenty of air and sparkle but it’s not quite as airy as some others I’ve heard.

In terms of technicalities, it sounds like detail retrieval is still the stand out feature, just like VX. I remember when I first heard VX and feeling almost overwhelmed with the amount of sheer micro-detail that was coming through. I don’t really get that feeling with V14, but I’ve heard a lot more IEM’s since I had VX, many of which rival VX’s detail retrieval so perhaps my ears are simply better accustomed to high levels of detail.

With the mids being a bit further back in the mix, it does sound like V14 has a broader stage compared to VX. V14’s stage still sounds fairly average compared to other TOTL stuff, but it doesn’t sound congested or anything like that. However, if you’re looking for an IEM with a huge stage, then I’d say look elsewhere.

Overall, I am impressed with V14, especially its bass. I feel like it’s an improvement over VX however I’d need to hear them side by side to confirm that, as it has been a while.

I’ll get to know v14 a bit better over the coming weeks and see how it fares against some other stuff I’ve got, and also how it pairs up with other sources. All my listening so far has been with L&P W2 :)

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #32,537 of 39,414
The N6ii I bought on classifieds was bundled with T01 (has a unique timbre unlike other DAC's I've used). I happened to have A02 on hand as well, so I thought why not and just pre order R01.

How do you like the T01? R01 aside it's the only n6ii board I haven't heard and it seemed to get very consistently positive reviews from people I know who heard/owned it.

Are any of you guys planning to attend CanJam SoCal in September? I’m working the show on Sunday and it would be nice to place some faces to their aliases. ✌️

What's the date exactly? I would love to attend but politics and my job would probably prohibit it.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #32,538 of 39,414
A Bird was sweetly singing on a branch when a smaller bird Ely landed and timidly asked the Bird to move over. The Bird stopped her song and obliged. All was fine till the Vulture Thummim swooped in and bent the branch to the waters edge. Now all three could see the Sandpipper Mason FS prance to greet the day.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #32,539 of 39,414
A Bird was sweetly singing on a branch when a smaller bird Ely landed and timidly asked the Bird to move over. The Bird stopped her song and obliged. All was fine till the Vulture Thummim swooped in and bent the branch to the waters edge. Now all three could see the Sandpipper Mason FS prance to greet the day.
Looking forward to how the flock of birds sound together.

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #32,540 of 39,414

How did you make green to come out in your pictures? I know the faceplate has 3D fluorescent material, but I can't make them pop out in green. Tried in the kitchen in my usual spot on granite countertop island and went outside, still no green.

Due to lack of CanJams, I asked Andrew/Musicteck for a few loaners to check out new releases. Posted my Isabellae impressions here. Now, playing with VX vs V14.

With all switches down, the sound sig just a touch different with VX sounding more balanced while V14 is very mildly U-shaped, also confirmed in my measurements with mids being just a touch lower. Which brings more focus to the bass in V14, very impressive BA bass tuning, and V14 has more sub-bass rumble than VX. Also, noticing treble slightly different as well, as it should since V14 now has additional EST drivers that bring more air and better extension to upper end.

Another thing I noticed, and encourage you to check it out, flip that #1 bass switch. On VX is is just OK, sounds a bit artificial, but on V14 it adds a healthy weight to the bass, scaling up the rumble and the impact to make it sound more analog.

Also, really great idea to implement modular cable design. VX come with 3.5mm SE and finding the replacement cable is not easy due to qdc reverse pins and 0.75 instead of 0.78mm. Here, you just switch the plugs to go between 3.5mm, 2.5mm, and 4.4mm.

qdc-v14-x03.jpg
qdc-v14-x04.jpg
qdc-v14-x05.jpg

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #32,541 of 39,414
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #32,542 of 39,414
Dragonzord! :D

'Reminds me of my Custom Art Harmony 8.2's from a few years ago

www.head-fi-1.jpg
www.head-fi-2.jpg
www.head-fi.jpg

I think we can all agree that my photo-taking skills (and Effect Audio's cable barrels) have gotten significantly better since then. :D
They definitely have 😂

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #32,543 of 39,414
How did you make green to come out in your pictures? I know the faceplate has 3D fluorescent material, but I can't make them pop out in green. Tried in the kitchen in my usual spot on granite countertop island and went outside, still no green.

Due to lack of CanJams, I asked Andrew/Musicteck for a few loaners to check out new releases. Posted my Isabellae impressions here. Now, playing with VX vs V14.

With all switches down, the sound sig just a touch different with VX sounding more balanced while V14 is very mildly U-shaped, also confirmed in my measurements with mids being just a touch lower. Which brings more focus to the bass in V14, very impressive BA bass tuning, and V14 has more sub-bass rumble than VX. Also, noticing treble slightly different as well, as it should since V14 now has additional EST drivers that bring more air and better extension to upper end.

Another thing I noticed, and encourage you to check it out, flip that #1 bass switch. On VX is is just OK, sounds a bit artificial, but on V14 it adds a healthy weight to the bass, scaling up the rumble and the impact to make it sound more analog.

Also, really great idea to implement modular cable design. VX come with 3.5mm SE and finding the replacement cable is not easy due to qdc reverse pins and 0.75 instead of 0.78mm. Here, you just switch the plugs to go between 3.5mm, 2.5mm, and 4.4mm.

qdc-v14-x03.jpg
qdc-v14-x04.jpg
qdc-v14-x05.jpg
The faceplates are like those glow in the dark kids toys, so all you have to do is hold the IEM’s very close to a lightbulb, or shine your phone torch on them for about 10-20 seconds and they will glow :)

Thanks for the info regarding the bass switch. I will give it a try. I didn’t like using the switches on VX but it sounds like they are more refined on v14. I remember the vx bass switch making it sound completely bloated.

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #32,544 of 39,414
The faceplates are like those glow in the dark kids toys, so all you have to do is hold the IEM’s very close to a lightbulb, or shine your phone torch on them for about 10-20 seconds and they will glow :)

Thanks for the info regarding the bass switch. I will give it a try. I didn’t like using the switches on VX but it sounds like they are more refined on v14. I remember the vx bass switch making it sound completely bloated.

Traillii comparisons plz , thanks.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #32,545 of 39,414

Exactly, VX bass switch sounded artificial, bloated, but V14 is a whole different story.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #32,546 of 39,414
I had bass about 2-2:30 on Lola as well. Grabbed mine from Linsoul

I'm not sure about the Willow Audio one as Linsoul doesnt mention a brand. In terms of packing, it was simply bubble wrapped in a small rounded square plastic case, similar to what you see from searching on Taobao or AliEx
hey I’m going to order the Linsoul. Silly question…does it come as a set of 2 for $67.49 or do you have to buy a quantity of 2 - i.e. one for each ear?

I asked them but they didn’t reply.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #32,547 of 39,414
There are not many companies making these adapters. The E4UA from Japan will cost you around US$250.

Yes there are exactly the same adapter - Willow Audio (left) and Linsoul (right) on MMCX version without bass pod.
1623365172379.png1623365190381.png

I bought mine for about US$45-50 from a local seller about 2.5 years ago so it could be the old version.

Music Sanctuary in Singapore price is S$70 (US$53) and Linsoul price is $67.50 (on special). Shipping should be faster from Singapore.
Did yours come as a set of 2? I’m going to feel like a dummy if I wait for it to come and there’s only 1 of them in there

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #32,548 of 39,414
hey I’m going to order the Linsoul. Silly question…does it come as a set of 2 for $67.49 or do you have to buy a quantity of 2 - i.e. one for each ear?

I asked them but they didn’t reply.

Did yours come as a set of 2? I’m going to feel like a dummy if I wait for it to come and there’s only 1 of them in there
It's a set for the listed price, no need to buy 2.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #32,549 of 39,414

qdc-v14-x03.jpg
qdc-v14-x04.jpg
qdc-v14-x05.jpg

I found the best way to make the faceplate turn green is to expose it to sunlight for a couple minutes. The information by qdc says it needs UV light which the sun provides plenty, not so much with incandescent.

I agree, the bass switch turned on is my preferred setting as well. The graph I saw showed only a 2dB increase unlike the VX which was several dB more. Too much for me for most of my music.

I’m using my Odin cable with my V14, and I had no issues with its .78mm pins fitting. I now use the Mason FS cable with my Odin switching back and forth. Also, it was reported in the qdc thread the V14 does not invert polarity as older models did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back