flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 11, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #32,551 of 39,414
I found the best way to make the faceplate turn green is to expose it to sunlight for a couple minutes. The information by qdc says it needs UV light which the sun provides plenty, not so much with incandescent.

I agree, the bass switch turned on is my preferred setting as well. The graph I saw showed only a 2dB increase unlike the VX which was several dB more. Too much for me for most of my music.

I’m using my Odin cable with my V14, and I had no issues with its .78mm pins fitting. I now use the Mason FS cable with my Odin switching back and forth. Also, it was reported in the qdc thread the V14 does not invert polarity as older models did.

I have in front of me VX and V14 with their corresponding cables that interchange perfectly, both in terms of the fit and the sound without any phasing or other effects when using VX or V14 cables with V14. And my other standard 0.78mm 2pin cables don't fit V14; tried EA, PWA, Eletech, PS, and they don't go in easily unless I force it. I just tried stock PWA 1960 2wire from Odin and it doesn't fit V14, unless I apply the force to push it in. But if you do that and got it to work, maybe you stretched sockets a bit. I mean, we are talking about a very small change from 0.75mm to 0.78mm, and with +/- tolerance and variation between cable connectors and sockets some might fit better than others. But I honestly wouldn't expect qdc to change the socket without mentioning it officially and considering all of their other IEMs follow the "old" standard.

But, nevertheless, let me double check with Andrew so he can ask qdc directly. Let's verify it with manufacturer.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #32,552 of 39,414
I have in front of me VX and V14 with their corresponding cables that interchange perfectly, both in terms of the fit and the sound without any phasing or other effects when using VX or V14 cables with V14. And my other standard 0.78mm 2pin cables don't fit V14; tried EA, PWA, Eletech, PS, and they don't go in easily unless I force it. I just tried stock PWA 1960 2wire from Odin and it doesn't fit V14, unless I apply the force to push it in. But if you do that and got it to work, maybe you stretched sockets a bit. I mean, we are talking about a very small change from 0.75mm to 0.78mm, and with +/- tolerance and variation between cable connectors and sockets some might fit better than others. But I honestly wouldn't expect qdc to change the socket without mentioning it officially and considering all of their other IEMs follow the "old" standard.

But, nevertheless, let me double check with Andrew so he can ask qdc directly. Let's verify it with manufacturer.

Hey Alex see if you can insert stock 64a cable, you know the one everyone hates 🤣

Visually that cable 2pins looks very thin and I bet it will slide into v14!

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #32,553 of 39,414

Thank you for this. It will be great to get official confirmation from qdc before trying to force a potentially wrong sized pin into the socket. 👍

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #32,554 of 39,414
Thank you for this. It will be great to get official confirmation from qdc before trying to force a potentially wrong sized pin into the socket. 👍

Here is a picture from Linsoul site, all the adapters they sell are obviously not their design/make, but rather rebranded, but you can see how QDC to 2pin 0.78mm pins are soldered reversed:

1623464837388.png

Yes, please. don't force it, because you will stretch the virgin socket :D And it won't be noticeable when you go back to stock cable since that wrap-around housing keeps the joint secure, but it could result in intermittent contact issues.

But either way, let's hear from manufacturer with confirmation.

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #32,555 of 39,414
Also, it was reported in the qdc thread the V14 does not invert polarity as older models did.

There are actually two versions of the V14: QDC 2-pin and CM 2-pin. The CM version has the same polarity as regular 2-pin IEMs but the QDC version still has same reversed polarity as typical QDC IEMs.

How can you tell which is which? If you have the protruding 2-pin sockets, that’s the typical QDC 2-pin socket. The CM 2-pin sockets sit flush on the shell.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #32,557 of 39,414
Why would anyone want the protruding and reverse polarity 2 pin setup?
I’m there with you, but some worry about the pins getting damaged over time..from what I have read around head fi
But as far as the reverse polarity, I’m not sure there is an advantage….

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #32,558 of 39,414
Jun 11, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #32,560 of 39,414
I haven’t seen the CM 2-pin V14 appear anywhere outside of Hong Kong. Can’t even find that version on Chinese Taobao stores.

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #32,561 of 39,414
OK, confirmed by Andrew, qdc V14 standard version is 0.75mm and with reversed pins, just like the original VX and their Dmagic 3D.

There are adapters if you are addicted to cable rolling and want to use regular 2pin cables. Plus, V14 cable is modular with SE/BAL plugs, one of the reasons people were looking for VX upgrade cable since it was 3.5mm only. Also, noticed Musicteck sells V14 modular cable by itself, probably useful for VX owners.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #32,562 of 39,414
Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 4.29.42 AM.png

To my ear tip rolling buddies,

Looks like AZLA has made a non-TWS & non-AirPods Pro version of the Crystal.

It's gonna be released on June 18th in Japan.

I wonder when it'll get released here.

Most likely gonna ask my friend in Japan again to get them for me lol

On another note, the tips I asked her to get me before finally arrived on Monday, but didn't get to trying them out until earlier today.

793DFFCF-1446-4CBD-A162-DB29B87E517F.jpeg

From the bunch, the new SF tips from JVC are definitely my favourites, especially on the Zeus.

With the Wraith and Z1R though, I still settled on using the EarTune Fidelity U tips from ADV.

Jun 12, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #32,563 of 39,414

On another note, the tips I asked her to get me before finally arrived on Monday, but didn't get to trying them out until earlier today.

From the bunch, the new SF tips from JVC are definitely my favourites, especially on the Zeus.

With the Wraith and Z1R though, I still settled on using the EarTune Fidelity U tips from ADV.

I got the TWS version of the SednaEarfit Crystal Tips a few months ago. Too bad it didn’t work too well with my Sennheiser MTW2, but I like the material used with these tips. Definitely not sticky like the Xelastec, looking forward to find some on Amazon JP soon.

Jun 12, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #32,564 of 39,414

I was under the impression the Azla Crystal were like Xelastec. Do they also deform like Xelastec tips? That's the only reason I stopped using them - that and the fact they picked up dust and grime from everywhere!

Jun 12, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #32,565 of 39,414
I haven’t seen the CM 2-pin V14 appear anywhere outside of Hong Kong. Can’t even find that version on Chinese Taobao stores.
Off topic but your list of equipment is astonishing. I just got started in this hobby recently and have JH Lola, HiBy R6 Pro, iFi xDSD, and Audeze LCD-2.

In the next several months, I’m planning to buy:
1) the best possible custom IEMs
2) a great desktop DAC/amp (maybe Naim Uniti Atom)
3) a superior set of headphones.

My budget is approx. $10,000 to $15,000 USD.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I listen to classical and opera, female vocals, electronic, blues, jazz, instrumental (guitar), pink Floyd... no rap, heavy bass or hip hop and not a lot of metal.

I’ve has trouble finding a place to audition high end equipment , particularly IEMs.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back