flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 25, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #27,902 of 39,414
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #27,903 of 39,414
Any more impressions of oriolus traiili? Thinking of getting a pair and want some more feedback before i pull the trigger. Kept being told it is the best iem in the world. Not one of the best, but the best!! By my local dealer.
for me it is the best IEM i ever tested - but me and some other people switched the earbuds to something which makes the sound even better (better fit). I am happy with the CP 155 and another Traillii user is using Azla SednaEarFit Shorts and has the same effect.
I can't think of any IEM that could match Traillii - but this aside - my music collection has 2000 albums, and some of them I listen to since 40 years - as i started with Traillii I discovered quite some new aspects of those recordings that I did not hear before, neither from a ON Ear nor another IEM nor my high class Hifi System with xxK USD Loudspeakers that are top of the range - so that to me is a good reason to claim Traillii as the top ranking IEM in the world today. But i would not argue with people who use other IEM's (like Erky) and feel totally happy with. So far i have not heard of any customer of Traillii who did not completely emerge in this wonderful music reproduction that does not miss out on ANY NOTE PLAYED....
I do listen (besides others) to classical music - piano is an excellent way to test how close the reproduction comes to a real life performance - or violin would do too - if you can hear every nuance -every stroke by the bow and how it moves over the instrument - then you know that you have top notch IEMs in your ears!

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #27,904 of 39,414
That is getting close to a Traillii...

My ears are still set on the FxD S.K tho.

I’m still a photographer first, so I’m gonna enjoy taking photos of the S.K quite a bit lol

Unless I go for a custom designed Traillii like this guy (quite stunning in this colour actually)

ED733430-681B-4269-9EBB-34B3721C8077.jpeg
very pretty - sound is the same i guess - blue ears ... hm...

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #27,905 of 39,414
Feb 25, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #27,906 of 39,414
Feb 25, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #27,907 of 39,414
Wait you are disappointed with tralili?
Or its the price of admissibility the issue 😁😛
Definitely the latter, I mean if you want to support your fellow Canuck audio addicts audiophiles, we'd appreciate a small loan for <amount of bird>.

Not so much admissibility as getting a demo in the first place. I'm always open to moving what I have if I find something that I like better.

Current tenure of my IEMs

Odin: 3 months
M4: 4 months
Lola: 2 months
A12t: 2 months

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #27,909 of 39,414
I could only see Brad live in a concert. If I remember correctly, my plans have been to visit Chick Corea live in a concert in 2020. :cry:
The 2019 release Chinese Butterfly with Steve Gadd on drums is a really wonderful listen on the Traillii.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #27,910 of 39,414
Waiting for a second go with the ESR MK2 as my first session with it was odd, and I'm not sure if it was due to coming directly from the Wraith that threw me off. Usually jumping from iem to iem gives me the best impression and contrast,

Some thoughts:
Very studio/stage reference tuning, I can see this being a lower priced alternative to say the Layla's in that sense. On the downside, if suffers a bit in the musicality department and I would throw it into the "professional use only" department. Not an issue as this IS in the EP line.

Now the odd things:
Mids felt a bit cramped (or squeezed together), especially evident in the vocals. Also heard a hint of coherency issues in the high-super high range from the high BA driver to the estats. It could very well be the track it self though.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #27,911 of 39,414
Have you heard much of the fabric and FABRIC.LIVE series, proedros? These, GU, DJ-KiCKS and Choice: A Collection of Classics are probably my favourite series of mixes

Also Berghain occasionally releases hi-rez mixes for free. There's one from Vatican Shadow, Fiedel, Luke Slater and Function - all really good (but much more towards the straight techno side of things)

yeah i know them - i liked GU best , cause of the specific genre (late 90s/early 00s prog house) which is the one i dig - fabric is more techno/experimental stuff

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #27,912 of 39,414
I am pretty much the only one who dont like P6 pro and who blindly skipped erlkoning and tralili lol

So count me in the hater territory 🤣🤣🤣

I am not sure whats the huge deal about the tralili but I wont argue and fight as I havent heard it.
But being a full ba and no apex for me is a no go right of the bat.

I went for sp2000 cu and tia Fourte! That is my new ultimate setup 😎😁
Yep noir is sold!
you're not a hater...you're just sleeping on two of the top iems around.

:sleeping:

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #27,913 of 39,414
I could only see Brad live in a concert. If I remember correctly, my plans have been to visit Chick Corea live in a concert in 2020. :cry:
Herbie Hancock is also one on my list ... lucky we have had a jazz festival close to us - for tens of years... so many good musicians came over and played, including Chick, Herbie, Marcus Miller, Candy Dulfer and so forth - now they play trough "tiny earpieces" - one left and one right - gives though a little bit of comfort.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #27,914 of 39,414
What would account for this though? I primarily use my N8 and if I put the volume in the 30’s that is loud, it is usually in the 20’s on high gain and the Ely is alive. If I already have the volume at probably less than 1/3 of what the N8 can do, why would the power of a desktop setup be any better ( in this question let’s assume same or similar DAC quality and obviously not an amp that costs mega money as that should sound better ). Tks.

It's not just a matter of an amp playing an iem loud enough. There's complex impedence curves, back-emf abd other factors (phase margin) that play into how any given pairing will sound. You know it when you hear it.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #27,915 of 39,414
Did I ever mention that I think of the Final A8000 as the best IEM for classical music? And does anybody share this feeling? I wouldn't know any other IEM that can create such a spatial environment and layers of music while being so dynamic and fast. I think of it as the Utopia of IEMs. But its an acquired taste given its tonality, and works best with classic. I am currently listening to a harpsichord concert and I honestly prefer the A8000 to the Utopia.

Saying that, this all came up while comparing stuff to the Odin ... which is definitely the better allrounder. But the A8000 is not to be underestimated.

I love mine, driven by L&P P6 Pro. I think they sound great with many genres, good is simply good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back