flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #27,916 of 39,414
Herbie Hancock is also one on my list ... lucky we have had a jazz festival close to us - for tens of years... so many good musicians came over and played, including Chick, Herbie, Marcus Miller, Candy Dulfer and so forth - now they play trough "tiny earpieces" - one left and one right - gives though a little bit of comfort.

That reminds me of the Java Jazz Festival we have here in Jakarta. We were incredibly fortunate to have the most recent one in March 2020, before cases started showing up in Indonesia. 'Got to see folks like Mateus Asato, Anomalie and Cory Henry and the Funk Apostles. And, I got to tick off an entry on my concert bucket list and witness Senri Kawaguchi absolutely obliterate the drums with T-Square live. Getting thumped in the chest by her snare hits through the PA system is a surreal moment I'll remember for a while. :D

I got to see Herbie live the first time I went to Java Jazz in 2015, I believe. That was a wonderful show, and it got me into jazz more than I'd ever been before. Then, Chick and the Elektric Band came over in 2018 with Nathan East on bass, instead of John Patitucci. That remains one of the best live shows I've ever seen, with Dave Weckl (and the wonderful engineers of JJF, of course) delivering the best drum sound I've ever heard live. I've tried to remember it for as long as I can to reference when mixing, and it's part of the reason why he's undoubtedly my favourite drummer of all-time.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #27,917 of 39,414
That reminds me of the Java Jazz Festival we have here in Jakarta. We were incredibly fortunate to have the most recent one in March 2020, before cases started showing up in Indonesia. 'Got to see folks like Mateus Asato, Anomalie and Cory Henry and the Funk Apostles. And, I got to tick off an entry on my concert bucket list and witness Senri Kawaguchi absolutely obliterate the drums with T-Square live. Getting thumped in the chest by her snare hits through the PA system is a surreal moment I'll remember for a while. :D

I got to see Herbie live the first time I went to Java Jazz in 2015, I believe. That was a wonderful show, and it got me into jazz more than I'd ever been before. Then, Chick and the Elektric Band came over in 2018 with Nathan East on bass, instead of John Patitucci. That remains one of the best live shows I've ever seen, with Dave Weckl (and the wonderful engineers of JJF, of course) delivering the best drum sound I've ever heard live. I've tried to remember it for as long as I can to reference when mixing, and it's part of the reason why he's undoubtedly my favourite drummer of all-time.
Oh man!!! You got to see Senri perform live???!!! That’s been a dream of mine since she used to cover K-ON!! Songs when she was younger. And her sensei is one of my heroes!!! So jealous of you man!! I hope someday I could get to watch her live too.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #27,918 of 39,414
It's not just a matter of an amp playing an iem loud enough. There's complex impedence curves, back-emf abd other factors (phase margin) that play into how any given pairing will sound. You know it when you hear it.
I always thought that boiled down to the amp being able to drive the speaker at the various impedance curves. As my N8 can even drive some headphones (Empyrean for example) it does not have any issue driving any IEM I have thrown at it. But, maybe there is even more to it. In any event, the Ely is alive and well driven by the N8.

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #27,919 of 39,414
I am pretty much the only one who dont like P6 pro and who blindly skipped erlkoning and tralili lol

So count me in the hater territory 🤣🤣🤣

I am not sure whats the huge deal about the tralili but I wont argue and fight as I havent heard it.
But being a full ba and no apex for me is a no go right of the bat.

I went for sp2000 cu and tia Fourte! That is my new ultimate setup 😎😁
Yep noir is sold!
So you prefer the OG Fourte to the Noir?

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #27,920 of 39,414
So you prefer the OG Fourte to the Noir?

That is the special synergy that happens with sp2kcu and og!

It offers more then noir with sp2kcu

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #27,921 of 39,414
Current tenure of my IEMs

Odin: 3 months
M4: 4 months
Lola: 2 months
A12t: 2 months

Fun game, I'll play...

Elysium: 2 months
Solaris SE: 14 months

I'd be curious to see everyone else's.
Let's see who has the biggest commitment issues! :p

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #27,924 of 39,414
Oh no what have I started? :xf_eek:
Both the M5 and A18s are customs, would have sold both already if they were universals, my A18s is actually on classifieds.
I actually find customs to be beneficial towards curbing my addiction. The loss from selling them is quite sobering.

It is way too complex of an equation to say how many months I have owned the Legend X since I have bought and sold it six times now. I'll just say I have commitment issues.
Commitment issues anonymous audiophiles

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #27,925 of 39,414
Oh no what have I started? :xf_eek:

I actually find customs to be beneficial towards curbing my addiction. The loss from selling them is quite sobering.

Commitment issues anonymous audiophiles

I agree for sure, they’re just both tiers behind the Traillii IMO so I never use them :/ I love customs though so I don’t mind owning them either.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #27,926 of 39,414
Fun game, I'll play...

Elysium: 2 months
Solaris SE: 14 months

I'd be curious to see everyone else's.
Let's see who has the biggest commitment issues! :p
I’ll play too:

Sony IER-Z1R - 13 months
HYLA Sarda - 13 months
Empire Ears Legend X - 10 months (only including the second time owning it)
Custom Art FIBAE Black - 1 month
Empire Ears Odin - 1 month

Average 7.6 months!

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #27,927 of 39,414
I agree for sure, they’re just both tiers behind the Traillii IMO so I never use them :/ I love customs though so I don’t mind owning them either.
Custom Bird in the future?

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #27,928 of 39,414
Custom Bird in the future?

I don’t think they do customs but in this instance for sure no, the universal shell on the Traillii is one of the the most comfortable IEMs I have used. I’m probably “done” with customs for a while, although I’ll forever lust over VE custom designs.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #27,929 of 39,414
Here’s my updated lineup:

Empire Ears Wraith - 3 weeks (The newest addition to my sonic harem. The ghostly home wrecker. The new Queen of vocal intimacy. I’m really happy to finally own the Wraith, been lusting over her ghostly vocal presence since I first heard her sing. But I just had to wait until I get to hear the All-Father Odin before I made the choice. Sorry I doubted you, but now I welcome you to my life 😂)

Empire Ears Zeus XR-A - 4 months (The encapsulating vocal King, Was the partner of the TG334, until the ghostly one above came to do some home wrecking.)

FitEar To Go! 334 - 5 months (Was the reigning Queen of intimate female vocals until the combination of the two above came in to my life. Might actually end up selling this one 😢)

FitEar Monet17 - 1 year (First IEM for 2020 😂 Still my go to for weeb music)

Sony IER-Z1R - 14 months (Was the IEM that “guided” me back to my journey. Still the current BAE)

JH Audio LAYLA Carbon - 2 months shy of 6 years (This was my first true taste of what a TOTL IEM)

Shure SE846 - A little over 6 years (I thought this would be my endgame. boy was I so wrong about that 😂)

Sony XBA-H3 - 3 months shy of 7 years lol (Takes the cake being my usual EDC alongside what’s above)

Shure SE215 - closing in to 10 years (My first set of IEMs. I still listen to it from time to time, but doesn’t see as much use as the one above sadly)

Am I a hoarder or what??? 😂
These all (especially the older ones) just hold such so much value to me that it pains me to even think of selling them.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #27,930 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back