flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 29, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #16,817 of 39,414
Welp, just got the Layla II in, and the stock cable is poo poo. I'm gonna upgrade to a Black Dragon while I wait for the 2pin to 4pin adapters to come in for the 1960's.

And I also picked up the Zeus... Sorry Phantom but the Layla is taking your spot in the holy trinity of EE.

May 29, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #16,818 of 39,414
Welp, just got the Layla II in, and the stock cable is poo poo. I'm gonna upgrade to a Black Dragon while I wait for the 2pin to 4pin adapters to come in for the 1960's.

And I also picked up the Zeus... Sorry Phantom but the Layla is taking your spot in the holy trinity of EE.
Kind of off topic but noticed you have null audio line mkv, thoughts on that cable?

May 29, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #16,819 of 39,414
Kind of off topic but noticed you have null audio line mkv, thoughts on that cable?

I've got it on my 846, I don't use it to listen critically much as it's my OTG cable. It's a nice SPC cable for the price, sorry I don't have any in depth thoughts on it. Initial impressions are that the highs are more extended. Didn't notice much change in the bass. The mids and highs seemed a little bit more separated since the highs were more extended.

May 30, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #16,820 of 39,414
With good synergy, a cable can make a significant difference
I didn't realize just how true this was until mating up a plussound exo silver+gold with oriolus mk2. The cable seemed to fill in the parts of the IEM that were lacking: bass warmth/slam (vs sub bass rumble) and upper treble. It made the upper mid peak sound a little less sharp. That's when I realized if I want to keep on this purist path (sans EQ), I was going to have to start messing with cables to tweak my IEMs.

On a tangent: For those of you who think this hobby is expensive - think about it. It's really no different a $pend than someone who is into pro quad-copter racing, rebuilding old cars, or collecting guns.

May 31, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #16,821 of 39,414
I didn't realize just how true this was until mating up a plussound exo silver+gold with oriolus mk2. The cable seemed to fill in the parts of the IEM that were lacking: bass warmth/slam (vs sub bass rumble) and upper treble. It made the upper mid peak sound a little less sharp. That's when I realized if I want to keep on this purist path (sans EQ), I was going to have to start messing with cables to tweak my IEMs.

On a tangent: For those of you who think this hobby is expensive - think about it. It's really no different a $pend than someone who is into pro quad-copter racing, rebuilding old cars, or collecting guns.
...or guitars. If you don't want to spend money, stay AWAY from guitars :sweat_smile:

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #16,822 of 39,414
Hey folks! If you happen to be on the look-out for very affordable upgrade cables with fantastic bang-for-the-buck, I'd like to point you in the direction of Satin Audio. They're a Vietnamese brand founded entirely by audiophiles. I just published my review(s) on their entry-level Griffin and Chimera cables, which I implore you check out now on TheHeadphoneList.com. Cheers! :D

Satin Audio Griffin and Chimera - New Standards

Duo.jpg

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #16,823 of 39,414
Hey folks! If you happen to be on the look-out for very affordable upgrade cables with fantastic bang-for-the-buck, I'd like to point you in the direction of Satin Audio. They're a Vietnamese brand founded entirely by audiophiles. I just published my review(s) on their entry-level Griffin and Chimera cables, which I implore you check out now on TheHeadphoneList.com. Cheers! :D

Great! Now that new wallet burning iems come into our lives... cheap cables are highly appreciated

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #16,825 of 39,414
Since we are on a topic of "affordable", here is Erik's @Wyville contribution with his TP Audio Aurora single BA review :D

tp_audio-IMAGE_05_cover.JPG

Jun 5, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #16,827 of 39,414
The Moon Audio Black Dragon cable came in today for my Layla's, and after a few hours of burn-in it's already blasting the stock cable. The mids sound very thin with the stock cable, it's complete junk, maybe that's why people are upset on initial impressions because I sure was.

After getting a better cable the mids opened up quite a bit, with the lower mids coming more into the fore-front. There is so much headroom on the Layla's with the Hugo 2, I'm thinking about going custom so I can mix with these... They're more accurate than the EE LX, the "reduced highs" as said by some people simply isn't true. Plug it into a clean source, blast it and the highs will come in, without affecting the mids and bass, it's so weird. It's such a fine tuned monitor, like I said before, there is soooo much headroom. JH really hit it out of the park with the Layla's.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #16,828 of 39,414
I think I'm done buying IEM's for a while with the Zeus on the way as well... I swear I'm done!!!!

My wallet also tripped and dropped over 1K on records at Juno, rest in pieces wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back