flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 5, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #16,833 of 39,414
Get the lost-and-found ready, bud. :p
D7rQh71XoAAUe17.jpg

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #16,836 of 39,414
I think I'm done buying IEM's for a while with the Zeus on the way as well... I swear I'm done!!!!

My wallet also tripped and dropped over 1K on records at Juno, rest in pieces wallet.

giphy.gif

.....yes, sure.

Jun 5, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #16,837 of 39,414
Jun 5, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #16,838 of 39,414
so I'm working with 64 on ordering the refit for my a12t bought off a headfier. Ownership transfer was successful now I'm looking at fit and color options.

In terms of the fit, it seems I have options.

1. Fresh imressions done just yesterday but with a relaxed jaw and no bite block. They are visibly more narrow than my other impressions. I did gain a few lbs. Went from 228 to 235. Also my canals may be inflamed as Im adjusting to new world of ciems. Or perhaps it's just the lack if bite block. Any way ... Looser cast shells from these may not fit well for long especially if I lose 10 to 20 lbs.

2. Impressions from March with a bite block on it's flat side. Used for my fibae blacks, the fit came out great!

3. The scans that CA was nice enough to provide me from the blacks production.

Any advice or musings on which I should use for the a12t is greatly appreciated. I'm leaning toward sending them the physical March impressions and letting them do their thing, but I've heard that impressions can shrink over time. My audiologist used genuine westone pink silicast fwiw.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #16,839 of 39,414
so I'm working with 64 on ordering the refit for my a12t bought off a headfier. Ownership transfer was successful now I'm looking at fit and color options.

1. Fresh imressions done just yesterday but with a relaxed jaw and no bite block. They are visibly more narrow than my other impressions. I did gain a few lbs. Went from 228 to 235. Also my canals may be inflamed as Im adjusting to new world of ciems. Or perhaps it's just the lack if bite block. Any way ... Looser cast shells from these may not fit well for long especially if I lose 10 to 20 lbs.

2. Impressions from March with a bite block on it's flat side. Used for my fibae blacks, the fit came out great!

Any advice or musings on which I should use for the a12t is greatly appreciated. I'm leaning toward sending them the physical March impressions and letting them do their thing, but I've heard that impressions can shrink over time. My audiologist used genuine westone pink silicast fwiw.
I think if you plan to lose weight, the fit will actually still be fine. 64 fit is pretty tight compared to other companies.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #16,840 of 39,414

If the FIBAE Black still fit you well, I'd advise asking 64 Audio if you can send them the scans from CA instead. That'll guarantee at least the same fit as your FIBAE Black. But, as @pithyginger63 said, it's worth noting that 64 Audio's fit trends tighter. So, you may wanna ask for a slightly more relaxed fit perhaps if it concerns you.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #16,841 of 39,414
Man if you release a review of a cable that can give some meat to the lower-mids and leaves the rest of the frequencies largely untouched I'm gonna lose my s**t...

Man, this is how the big data AI / combo works :

1. THEY are following your every post, PM, voice message, thought
  2. They analyze the current need expressed, correlate it to the probability of purchase, analyse the intensity of yearning based on shrillness of posts (e.g. "I'm gonna lose my s**t..")
  3. They take a random product, send it to a cyborg reviewer (sorry Deezel, stay with me here), who voices the exact words you want to hear
  4. You pay 10,000$ for 3$ of tin with some plating making it look like silver
  5. You receive the package, listen and BAM ! Exactly what you wanted
  6. Even under torture you would swear those mids are meatier, even though all cables are the same, they are all produced by a Mysterious Cabal on an island close to the Bermuda triangle

tenor.gif

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #16,842 of 39,414
Man, this is how the big data AI / combo works :

1. THEY are following your every post, PM, voice message, thought
  2. They analyze the current need expressed, correlate it to the probability of purchase, analyse the intensity of yearning based on shrillness of posts (e.g. "I'm gonna lose my s**t..")
  3. They take a random product, send it to a cyborg reviewer (sorry Deezel, stay with me here), who voices the exact words you want to hear
  4. You pay 10,000$ for 3$ of tin with some plating making it look like silver
  5. You receive the package, listen and BAM ! Exactly what you wanted
  6. Even under torture you would swear those mids are meatier, even though all cables are the same, they are all produced by a Mysterious Cabal on an island close to the Bermuda triangle

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #16,843 of 39,414
"Quick! we need to think of a distraction!"

Uh.. Uh... Hey guys! Look! It's a brand new article on TheHeadphoneList.com! Our good friends over at QDC just launched their very first hybrid in-ear monitors called the Fusion. Music Sanctuary and DITA Audio held a lunch event this past weekend, which I unfortunately wasn't able to attend. But, they were kind enough to send me photos from the event so I could write about it on THL. Without further ado, here's the coverage article with photos, technical specifications on the Fusion and what the crowd thought of QDC's latest effort. Enjoy! :D

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #16,845 of 39,414
If the FIBAE Black still fit you well, I'd advise asking 64 Audio if you can send them the scans from CA instead. That'll guarantee at least the same fit as your FIBAE Black. But, as @pithyginger63 said, it's worth noting that 64 Audio's fit trends tighter. So, you may wanna ask for a slightly more relaxed fit perhaps if it concerns you.
As long as he doesn't sand it like me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back