flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 6, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #16,847 of 39,414
so I'm working with 64 on ordering the refit for my a12t bought off a headfier. Ownership transfer was successful now I'm looking at fit and color options.

In terms of the fit, it seems I have options.

1. Fresh imressions done just yesterday but with a relaxed jaw and no bite block. They are visibly more narrow than my other impressions. I did gain a few lbs. Went from 228 to 235. Also my canals may be inflamed as Im adjusting to new world of ciems. Or perhaps it's just the lack if bite block. Any way ... Looser cast shells from these may not fit well for long especially if I lose 10 to 20 lbs.

2. Impressions from March with a bite block on it's flat side. Used for my fibae blacks, the fit came out great!

3. The scans that CA was nice enough to provide me from the blacks production.

Any advice or musings on which I should use for the a12t is greatly appreciated. I'm leaning toward sending them the physical March impressions and letting them do their thing, but I've heard that impressions can shrink over time. My audiologist used genuine westone pink silicast fwiw.

Fwiw I would use the scans from ca personally. You already know the blacks fit and with the scans would have been taken before Ca did their magic on them so they will in effect be as good as new. Also one thing to bear in mind and might want to confirm with 64 audio. They also obviously use 3-d printing but their colours are limited. David Molliere said he used his scans from ca for his earsonics and they came back fine. Plus you save a few $ on postage, and they can ok them more or less straight away.

Just a thought. I'll be interested in how they turn out for you!

Jun 6, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #16,848 of 39,414
Fwiw I would use the scans from ca personally. You already know the blacks fit and with the scans would have been taken before Ca did their magic on them so they will in effect be as good as new. Also one thing to bear in mind and might want to confirm with 64 audio. They also obviously use 3-d printing but their colours are limited. David Molliere said he used his scans from ca for his earsonics and they came back fine. Plus you save a few $ on postage, and they can ok them more or less straight away.
Just a thought. I'll be interested in how they turn out for you!

Yes absolutely, I used the CA scans for my EM64 and they fit beautifully.
Every shop will check the scan anyway before validating as Earsonics did mine.

I’ll use them from now on unless I drop quite a few pounds :p

Jun 7, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #16,849 of 39,414
When Chrome has ads of products you just think of
hats-have-a-new-meaning-in-the-most-recent-episode-of-westworld.jpeg
Worst, when Chrome KNOWS you're fat, and you don't

Jun 7, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #16,850 of 39,414
Why we are all here in the first place. I really enjoy this individual's writings.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...pIdMvu3HojqqlOc36VuWSZZBfWFMbs_hf-uuYepr1YDgg
This is indeed exactly the reason why I came to head-fi in the first place. The dopamine mentioned in the article is not just a "feel-good" chemical, which I guess people associate it with most because of the "runner's high", but it has a key function as a so-called neurotransmitter, or messenger between brain cells. Brain cells don't physically touch, so for signals to cross the small gap between them, the cells send these messengers out. A bit like two people standing at a distance throwing balls with letters on them. With enough balls those letters can form a message. However, in ADHD (which I have) the levels of a number of neurotransmitters is suspected to be lower than usual, which you might be able to sense can give problems with concentration (the attention deficit) because the signal is not strong enough (sort of like there are not enough balls to make the complete message).

Music allows me to elevate the levels of dopamine (among others) and actually helps me improve my concentration. It is quite challenging to use effectively though because, like the article hints at, it has to work with our emotions to be most effective and our emotions change constantly. So sometimes I feel I need classical music in the background, while at other times I write difficult academic pieces with Device blaring in my ears. I have also found that change works well, not just in terms of music, but in terms of the gear I use. A new signature is exciting, the new toy syndrome we all know so well, but that actually strengthens the physiological response and so I constantly rotate between different gear to maximise the benefits (a key reason why I review).

Sorry for being all science-nerdy, but I love this stuff. :D

Jun 7, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #16,851 of 39,414
Jun 7, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #16,852 of 39,414
This is indeed exactly the reason why I came to head-fi in the first place. The dopamine mentioned in the article is not just a "feel-good" chemical, which I guess people associate it with most because of the "runner's high", but it has a key function as a so-called neurotransmitter, or messenger between brain cells. Brain cells don't physically touch, so for signals to cross the small gap between them, the cells send these messengers out. A bit like two people standing at a distance throwing balls with letters on them. With enough balls those letters can form a message. However, in ADHD (which I have) the levels of a number of neurotransmitters is suspected to be lower than usual, which you might be able to sense can give problems with concentration (the attention deficit) because the signal is not strong enough (sort of like there are not enough balls to make the complete message).

Music allows me to elevate the levels of dopamine (among others) and actually helps me improve my concentration. It is quite challenging to use effectively though because, like the article hints at, it has to work with our emotions to be most effective and our emotions change constantly. So sometimes I feel I need classical music in the background, while at other times I write difficult academic pieces with Device blaring in my ears. I have also found that change works well, not just in terms of music, but in terms of the gear I use. A new signature is exciting, the new toy syndrome we all know so well, but that actually strengthens the physiological response and so I constantly rotate between different gear to maximise the benefits (a key reason why I review).

Sorry for being all science-nerdy, but I love this stuff. :D
Wyville throwin down that neurophysiology

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #16,856 of 39,414
Greetings portable-fi aficionados.

I'll be visiting Taiwan for the first time next month. Is there a recommended place to audition these TOTL, and wallet crushing ciems/iems? An early b-day present with the typical Stax but sub-bass extension sound is the objective.

My wallet (and wife) will hate you, but my ears will thank you (in advance).

Jun 7, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #16,857 of 39,414

I'll be visiting Taiwan for the first time next month. Is there a recommended place to audition these TOTL, and wallet crushing ciems/iems? An early b-day present with the typical Stax but sub-bass extension sound is the objective.

A2F0D006-BD59-4A74-BBB7-F29926D5EB27.png

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #16,859 of 39,414

aside from my-iem, you can also try JM-Plus electronics. They have custom art, fitear, campfire, and JH gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back