flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 27, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #16,801 of 39,414
May 27, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #16,802 of 39,414
Anyone got recommendations for a triflange tip that would fit a nozzle that takes t400 comply size? According to Piotrus at CA my right ear is "very narrow and high with a curve right at the first bend, and then it gets more narrow and more curved". That means that "L or XL size tip will do nothing in his case". Would explain why universals and I never play nice together :frowning2: Whilst that's fine for my wallet, means I miss out on all the fun stuff :frowning2:

May 27, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #16,803 of 39,414
Remember the WM1 series need 200 hours of burnin time per output port to maximizes its sound quality.
I'll tell yall in 200 hours. I personally dont believe in burn in, but if Sony can prove me wrong....

May 27, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #16,805 of 39,414
clearly the radiohead and tswift reference was an attempt at humor. I thought it funny

the idea of 'run in' or 'burn in' is of course, controversial, just like cable changes. I was once a cable denier, but once I accepted that our ear/brain system can hear things that conventional measurement techniques can't register, life became that much more enjoyable. All those tests do, is play sine tones and measure them on an FFT. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not really into the sine wave genre. Unlike some electronics engineers, I dig more traditional forms of music. All I know is that I have heard changes with cable changes and 'run in'. Tell me all you want that it's expectation bias, or that I haven't properly volume matched. We're all entitled to our beliefs.

Now, there is a correlation with impedance and resolution, and I have to believe that different materials impede different frequencies all a little uniquely. If that explains it, all the better, but for me...

...burn in is audible. Especially in the lower treble regions.

May 27, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #16,806 of 39,414
I'll tell yall in 200 hours. I personally dont believe in burn in, but if Sony can prove me wrong....

... and iBasso with its large caps in amp modules.

May 27, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #16,807 of 39,414
Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #16,808 of 39,414
Im also quite enjoying that seemingly endless battery meter in particular. Not losing a third of your battery in 4 hours is a new feeling for me.

welcome to the SONY club , WM1A is a great dap and very price-friendly (compared to wm1z)

but i must advise you : the battery thing is very evil , you may get used to having a 20-25 battery-efficiency DAP and stick with SONY daps for the rest if your life because of their huge batteries

also everyone who got a new 1a/1z reported very perceivable sonic changes in the first 200-400 hours , so yeah burn-in is real

which FW are you on ?

May 27, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #16,809 of 39,414
how does WM1A and 1Z do on balanced with the battery? IE how much quicker is the drain when going balanced? I've been very curious about the 1A. Unfortunately, I just can't fathom spending the amount required for the Z. Though I hear it's an appreciable gain in SQ due to the internal wiring and upgraded components used.

May 28, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #16,810 of 39,414
how does WM1A and 1Z do on balanced with the battery? IE how much quicker is the drain when going balanced? I've been very curious about the 1A. Unfortunately, I just can't fathom spending the amount required for the Z. Though I hear it's an appreciable gain in SQ due to the internal wiring and upgraded components used.

1A is the better ''value-for-money'' buy , don't torture yourself with 1z phantasies - unless you feel like paying 2-3 times more for a 15% SQ increase

also the battery on balanced is upwards of 20 hours , SONY is the king of battery efficiency

May 28, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #16,811 of 39,414
clearly the radiohead and tswift reference was an attempt at humor. I thought it funny

the idea of 'run in' or 'burn in' is of course, controversial, just like cable changes. I was once a cable denier, but once I accepted that our ear/brain system can hear things that conventional measurement techniques can't register, life became that much more enjoyable. All those tests do, is play sine tones and measure them on an FFT. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not really into the sine wave genre. Unlike some electronics engineers, I dig more traditional forms of music. All I know is that I have heard changes with cable changes and 'run in'. Tell me all you want that it's expectation bias, or that I haven't properly volume matched. We're all entitled to our beliefs.

Now, there is a correlation with impedance and resolution, and I have to believe that different materials impede different frequencies all a little uniquely. If that explains it, all the better, but for me...

...burn in is audible. Especially in the lower treble regions.

Very well put my friend.

I want to try that Sony DAP, I have experienced IEM burn in, but DAP burn in sounds interesting to explore as well.

May 28, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #16,812 of 39,414
welcome to the SONY club , WM1A is a great dap and very price-friendly (compared to wm1z)

but i must advise you : the battery thing is very evil , you may get used to having a 20-25 battery-efficiency DAP and stick with SONY daps for the rest if your life because of their huge batteries

also everyone who got a new 1a/1z reported very perceivable sonic changes in the first 200-400 hours , so yeah burn-in is real

which FW are you on ?
The moment I decide to sell my SE100 and wait a month for funds to get the WM1A I was already prepared to never turn back. I still regret blowing $2300 Cdn on the SE100, god I love Sabres but man is AK overpriced.

Mine came out of the box with 3.01 and the store had just got a shipment of 4, so pretty recenty stock it seems

7 hours in and I have still to hear changes, still 400 hours to go!

I've gotten about 7 ish hours a tick, so 25-26 ish it seems safe to say? I leave mine on so I can't say how much drain I get due to that.

May 28, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #16,813 of 39,414
is it our brain that actually adjusting to the sound? like having an iem for example a dm6 with somewhat brighter tonality and sibilance ive been uaing this iem for 2 months until i bought a pair of it04, after using it04 for about a week, using dm6 is somewhat piercing to my ears even replacing the cables, but then i still continue using it for about a week then i noticed that i tolerate the bright tonality of dm6 and liked it, then i tried ysing it04 again, qnd go bqck to dm6, then i experienced the same feeling again.
personally im not a believer of cable changing the sound quality, try to use an xpensive and cheap cables but make sure that not to reveal the price of each cables, and test it to a friend, then reveal the price of each but in reverse then ask their opinion, there opinion will be based on the price tag and not on the way they xperience each of them, because we people have the mentality that xpensive are superior. esp if u bought an xpensive cable and u cant distingusih the difference, ur mind will tell u hmmp this expensive is better, just fooling urself for u not to feel regret.. ,just my opinion

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #16,814 of 39,414
is it our brain that actually adjusting to the sound? like having an iem for example a dm6 with somewhat brighter tonality and sibilance ive been uaing this iem for 2 months until i bought a pair of it04, after using it04 for about a week, using dm6 is somewhat piercing to my ears even replacing the cables, but then i still continue using it for about a week then i noticed that i tolerate the bright tonality of dm6 and liked it, then i tried ysing it04 again, qnd go bqck to dm6, then i experienced the same feeling again.
personally im not a believer of cable changing the sound quality, try to use an xpensive and cheap cables but make sure that not to reveal the price of each cables, and test it to a friend, then reveal the price of each but in reverse then ask their opinion, there opinion will be based on the price tag and not on the way they xperience each of them, because we people have the mentality that xpensive are superior. esp if u bought an xpensive cable and u cant distingusih the difference, ur mind will tell u hmmp this expensive is better, just fooling urself for u not to feel regret.. ,just my opinion
Of course our brain adjusts to a signature over time. The human brain has a high level of plasticity and will adjust after a while, but also change over time and experience episodes of differences (I can be more treble sensitive on some days), which is why I consider it important not to say too much about certain IEMs until have spent a decent amount of time with them over the course of at least a few days. That does not mean that burn-in does not happen, but if it does it certainly is not the only factor. Personally, I burn in everything I get in for review as a courtesy to the manufacturer and don't give it a second thought for anything I buy for myself, I listen so much that any changes that might happen will happen soon enough. :wink:

As for cables. Sure they make a difference. Whether or not a cable is an improvement depends a lot on synergy and the IEMs themselves. Different IEMs will respond differently to a certain cable and not all IEMs respond as strongly. I can sometimes really enjoy tinkering around with cables, but it certainly is not a case of "more expensive = better" and the same cable I might love with some IEMs but not with others. With good synergy, a cable can make a significant difference although it is still just tinkering within the limitations of the IEMs (ie. a cable never changes the fundamental character of the IEMs). And sometimes the IEMs are so nicely tuned with their stock cable that I don't want to change that (eg. the Dita Fealty).

May 29, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #16,815 of 39,414
Ok guys, not TOTL, but maybe this will save you money in the long run? Hope you enjoy the read.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/22133/

FA7-11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back