flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #16,786 of 39,414
Also, speaking of review(er)s, for anyone with an interest in new IEM companies and tech, just posted a review of the Quadra CIEM from Wavaya:

https://audioprimate.blog/2019/05/24/wavaya-quadra-porcelain-powerhouse/

It's got tubeless outputs from the quad BA, an interesting double crossover network and a fully porcelain shell. More importantly, it sounds absolutely superb, and isn't hugely expensive. Between that and the Stealthsonics C9 I've been spending time with recently, it's been a damn fine couple of weeks! :wink:

May 24, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #16,787 of 39,414
Finally bought a WM1A, good times incoming!

May 25, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #16,790 of 39,414
@Deezel177 any chance of getting a comparison between the Earsonics EM64, Lime Ears Aether R CIEM and the Wavaya Penta?
I own the "old" Aether´s for more than 2 years now and i´m considering upgrading for one of those 3 mentioned above.
I really love the tuning of the Aether´s and i´m basically looking for an worthly upgrade.

May 25, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #16,791 of 39,414
@Deezel177 any chance of getting a comparison between the Earsonics EM64, Lime Ears Aether R CIEM and the Wavaya Penta?
I own the "old" Aether´s for more than 2 years now and i´m considering upgrading for one of those 3 mentioned above.
I really love the tuning of the Aether´s and i´m basically looking for an worthly upgrade.

I'll definitely be able to compare the first two. Emil and I are literally a design away from the Aether R's entering production. I don't currently know what Wavaya and I will collaborate on, so a Penta comparison won't be guaranteed. But, I'll be sure to compare the Aether R's with as many of its peers as I can.

May 25, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #16,792 of 39,414
I'll definitely be able to compare the first two. Emil and I are literally a design away from the Aether R's entering production. I don't currently know what Wavaya and I will collaborate on, so a Penta comparison won't be guaranteed. But, I'll be sure to compare the Aether R's with as many of its peers as I can.
Aether R interests me as well, I feel like Lime Ears sound might be my mental ideal atm

May 25, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #16,793 of 39,414
Also an impatient wait away from the R..this one has me excited

May 25, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #16,794 of 39,414
Looking forward for those comparisons! As i´m in no rush to upgrade i will wait for more opinions about the Wavaya Penta also.

May 27, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #16,796 of 39,414
So got about 4 hours of listening on the WM1A today (direct sound, balanced ofc). Don't really get a sense that the Project K mod would be a vast improvement on the sound so I'll be keeping it stock.

Almost no perceptible change on the Phantom/PWA Blackicon OCC Silver combination vs the DPX1A and SE100 despite having an OCC copper pigtail in the chain.

The Zeus R/PWA Blackicon Silver Gold was another story. The removal of the OCC Copper pigtail was a huge difference. If felt like there was a veil that was removed compared to the SE100 and DPX1A. This may have staved off a 1960s purchase for a while.

Im also quite enjoying that seemingly endless battery meter in particular. Not losing a third of your battery in 4 hours is a new feeling for me.

May 27, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #16,797 of 39,414
Remember the WM1 series need 200 hours of burnin time per output port to maximizes its sound quality.

May 27, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #16,798 of 39,414
Remember the WM1 series need 200 hours of burnin time per output port to maximizes its sound quality.
I heard a rumor, that the DAP sound even better when feeding it with Radiohead songs. The WM1A does get a more softer, mellower touch by this tweak. Except you want a more forward, sexy sound, then Taylor Swift is said to be the right tune.

May 27, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #16,799 of 39,414
I heard a rumor, that the DAP sound even better when feeding it with Radiohead songs. The WM1A does get a more softer, mellower touch by this tweak. Except you want a more forward, sexy sound, then Taylor Swift is said to be the right tune.

Actually....nice try but the 200 hour thing is documented in the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back