flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 1, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #16,505 of 39,414
Speaking about iBasso, I was hoping the DX220 had a larger battery to deal with AMP's 8 power cost. Even with quick charge, I rather not have to replace a battery due to a large amount of charging cycles. Nope, here's a a AMP 1 MKII with 2.5. Well then.......

May 1, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #16,506 of 39,414
Btw for anyone waiting for the Project K additions that Music Sanctuary was planning, just received word that they've been finalized and will be applied to all orders from now on. Not sure exactly what they are since the Project K page hasn't been updated yet it appears.

Perhaps @Kozato can shed some light on this?

May 1, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #16,507 of 39,414
Sometimes I wonder if my stuff is actually getting hit by duties or whether DHL is just saying it is and charging me. Literally the same amount every time. Between that and shipping I've paid a 100 bucks extra for the No.5, definitely more expensive than the Aries II

DHL just sees your name, realises that you are pining for your gear and then lets you pay through the nose to get it. :D

Just kidding! I think DHL charge a standard handling fee or something like that because I get slapped with those same fees as well. Even if the item is valued at $30, I have to pay $50. Had it several times already and it is making my reviewing a bit expensive.

Well in my case, DHL indeed charges more in terms of duties than what the standard post does.

May 1, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #16,508 of 39,414
Well in my case, DHL indeed charges more in terms of duties than what the standard post does.
DHL don't charge any duties at all, it's your local customs body that does. DHL only charge handling fees to process it for you, shouldn't be that high usually.

You can ask them to show you the documentation that has official duties charged and if you want you can also tell them not to handle it for you and do all the processing yourself, which will probably not be ideal. This is the same for pretty much any courier.

May 2, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #16,509 of 39,414
DHL don't charge any duties at all, it's your local customs body that does. DHL only charge handling fees to process it for you, shouldn't be that high usually.

You can ask them to show you the documentation that has official duties charged and if you want you can also tell them not to handle it for you and do all the processing yourself, which will probably not be ideal. This is the same for pretty much any courier.
Actual duties comes to $3 Cdn. The other $18ish CDN are fees. Considering stuff coming through Canada Post for the same amount have never been hit with duties. I suspect whether I was hit with duties. But then DHL is fast and reliable....

May 2, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #16,510 of 39,414
Btw for anyone waiting for the Project K additions that Music Sanctuary was planning, just received word that they've been finalized and will be applied to all orders from now on. Not sure exactly what they are since the Project K page hasn't been updated yet it appears.

Applied to all orders of what?

May 2, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #16,511 of 39,414
="KuroKitsu, post: 14931230, member: 496697"]Actual duties comes to $3 Cdn. The other $18ish CDN are fees. Considering stuff coming through Canada Post for the same amount have never been hit with duties. I suspect whether I was hit with duties. But then DHL is fast and reliable....
Yes, that's probably variance in implementation/checks by customs. I've seen that too where in some cases stuff sent by regular mail doesn't get hit by duties, but everything sent via couriers get checked thoroughly and duties imposed accordingly.

Guess they figure if you're paying extra for shipping, must be more valuable.

May 2, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #16,512 of 39,414
Yes, that's probably variance in implementation/checks by customs. I've seen that too where in some cases stuff sent by regular mail doesn't get hit by duties, but everything sent via couriers get checked thoroughly and duties imposed accordingly.

Guess they figure if you're paying extra for shipping, must be more valuable.

I found out that DHL Express is quite safe for me regarding to customs. I never had to pay import customs but just their usual handling fee of 20 €. But customs seem to smell a rat when they notice a shipping from USA sent with FedEx (priority) with declared amounts of 50 $ :D
Next time when i open my wallet for EE they urgently need to declare higher amounts (299 $ f. e.) and maybe shipping with DHL Express would be better. Last time i had to pay for my custom LX around 400 € for customs! That's hard. I've never paid extra customs for (expensive) stuff from Singapore sent with DHL.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #16,513 of 39,414

Yes we've confirmed the changes that are being made to the K-Mod for Sony DAPs! A revision to the capacitor layout and additional active grounding both work together to improve performance further. We will be updating the product listing soon and will commence work on orders once my team and I are back from Hong Kong (visiting PW Audio and other audio partners!)

May 2, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #16,514 of 39,414
Applied to all orders of what?
Obviously my brain was not working at 12 Am and I forgot to specify for Sony DAPs. UGH 3 days straight of meetings with the government makes one stupid.....

May 2, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #16,515 of 39,414
I found out that DHL Express is quite safe for me regarding to customs. I never had to pay import customs but just their usual handling fee of 20 €. But customs seem to smell a rat when they notice a shipping from USA sent with FedEx (priority) with declared amounts of 50 $ :D
Next time when i open my wallet for EE they urgently need to declare higher amounts (299 $ f. e.) and maybe shipping with DHL Express would be better. Last time i had to pay for my custom LX around 400 € for customs! That's hard. I've never paid extra customs for (expensive) stuff from Singapore sent with DHL.
Never had to pay more than the £18.00 for either fedex, ups or dhl. What did grind my gears was when I paid up said amount for delivery next day (after it had been held in customs for a week, thank you very much)and the system hadn't updated itself so next day delivery didn't happen. Cue an irritated phone call later and it turned up the next day finally. I always figure it's best to add the amount you think you'll get hit with and if it doesn't happen it's a nice surprise :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back