flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 1, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #16,486 of 39,419
May 1, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #16,487 of 39,419
Dislike A&K but dig the looks of new Kann Cube- it's like an all in one brutalist audio brick.
Only it seems kind of under-featured for the size...Cramming two of those desktop DACs & enough battery to run them for more than 30 minutes probably takes a lot of space but if already going to such an ungainly size for portability, might as well maximize I/O & functionality.
I don't see the point of having DAP of this size.

May 1, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #16,492 of 39,419
Less embarrassing than walking around with the DMP-Z1?
a0ad0169e9693f6514dd530195c0f789

May 1, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #16,493 of 39,419
Because you don't live in a city with a lot of hills!

You park your car, put Kann Cube behind the right front wheel an there is no way your car will slip down the hill even if the hand brake fails..

May 1, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #16,496 of 39,419
Okay, I think I have reason to be alarmed, my dx150 that I turned off is hot and the battery drained 20%. It wasn't running, no way

You mentioned that your unit got hot repeatedly in the past, which may have damaged the battery cells. This may have led to the battery internally shorting itself (check out lithium dendrites, eventually lead to fire over time), which consequently would cause the battery to heat up and lose charge. I would let the unit discharge completely, and I would get the battery replaced ASAP (also I would recommend NOT going to sleep listening to this, keep it away from you. Lithium battery fires can be nasty).

I would also recommend not charging it again either until the battery gets replaced, as charging can aggravate the potentially damages cells further.

Be careful man. My thoughts are just assumptions, but better safe than looking like Prince Zuko

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #16,497 of 39,419
You mentioned that your unit got hot repeatedly in the past, which may have damaged the battery cells. This may have led to the battery internally shorting itself (check out lithium dendrites, eventually lead to fire over time), which consequently would cause the battery to heat up and lose charge. I would let the unit discharge completely, and I would get the battery replaced ASAP (also I would recommend NOT going to sleep listening to this, keep it away from you. Lithium battery fires can be nasty).

I would also recommend not charging it again either until the battery gets replaced, as charging can aggravate the potentially damages cells further.

Be careful man. My thoughts are just assumptions, but better safe than looking like Prince Zuko
that sounds particularly nasty. I'll see what I can do about it

May 1, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #16,499 of 39,419
@WhatToChoose Paul from iBasso ended up figuring out the problem for me, I switched from AMP8 to AMP6 and the unit is no longer getting hot and the battery isn't rapidly depleting like it was before. It's likely a faulty AMP8.

You don't have a lot of luck with audio stuff do you :)

May 1, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #16,500 of 39,419
The app AutomateIt Pro works well if you fall asleep listening to music. You can set time triggers to turn Wifi on/off, definitely saves some battery

Thanks I'll look into it! But I meant more just when I have the screen off and not playing music. "stand by" mode is probably the term I was looking for. Either way, I guess iBasso doesn't put their devices in deep sleep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back