flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 2, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #16,516 of 39,419
Yes we've confirmed the changes that are being made to the K-Mod for Sony DAPs! A revision to the capacitor layout and additional active grounding both work together to improve performance further. We will be updating the product listing soon and will commence work on orders once my team and I are back from Hong Kong (visiting PW Audio and other audio partners!)

This is great news, I will be sending my WM1A in to upgrade from the premium mod I have already to ultimate. The premium mod in itself sounds superb so looking forward to hearing what the next tier up with revision sounds like.

May 2, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #16,517 of 39,419
This is great news, I will be sending my WM1A in to upgrade from the premium mod I have already to ultimate. The premium mod in itself sounds superb so looking forward to hearing what the next tier up with revision sounds like.
Hopefully end of the month for me since I'm also getting the player from Music Sanctuary as well. Originally suppose to have gotten it already, but life happened and cables were more important.

May 2, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #16,519 of 39,419
Cool, exciting times ahead, will be good to hear what you think about it :smile_phones:
I expect nothing less than rainbows and unicorns considering at it's basis the mod replaces the internal wiring with 1960s.

May 2, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #16,520 of 39,419
....arrived today. Hellooo little birdy.
-- The AAW Canary --

Canary1.jpg

Canary2.jpg
Canary3.jpg

I've read here on headfi that their tuning is very similar to the Trinitys. Completely different opinion here :) They sound extremely airy. Bass isn't as strong as Trinitys bass but definitely there when needed. The mids sound a tad clearer and treble is extremely crisp. Trinitys mids sound a little bit warmer and treble has'nt quite this bite. But Trinitys tuning sounds a bit fuller, more coherent and less fatique imo. Better for long listening sessions and definitely the better alrounder.
Truly a pure fun sound here. Extremely coloured but perrrfect for electronic :) I definitely wouldn't use them for Classics, Jazz or Songwriter. They complement my LX, Phantom and Trinity very well.
The Canary & Cleopatra are a lovely pairing !

Edit: They look stunning :) They are extremely big/bold and stick out of my ears quite a lot. Compared to the Trinity i prefer Trinitys semi-custom design as the nozzle reaches deeper into the ear canal. Among all my uncountable tips i've only found 1 (!) providing enough seal: Spiral Dots. So tip rolling to experience different sound signatures won't be happening for me. :frowning2:
No driver flex.
The stock cable is a Symphonym Hakone (silver/copper) and looks extremely nice. Kind of bling bling. Comparable to Eros II. I prefer Cleo though as i need this extra bass impact. Paired with Hakone the signature turns a little bit to the warmer side and the bass rumble isn't as deep and visceral as i'd expect it when listening to electronic. Here Cleo first time shines positively through for me. Up till now i had a little bit of a hard time to find an adequate partner for Cleopatra. The Canary seems to be a good choice.

Edit2 : Just in case you are interested....the wooden case is lovely. One of the most beautiful cases i've seen so far.

Canary_Case.jpg

Canary_Case2.jpg

And here a pic of this really nice looking (and sounding) stock cable :

Canary_Symphonym1.jpg

Quite similar to Eros II but more bling bling as the Y-Split, the connectors and all metallic parts are solid ! That makes this cable a lot heavier.

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #16,521 of 39,419
....arrived today. Hellooo little birdy.

I've read here on headfi that their tuning is very similar to the Trinitys. Completely different opinion here :) They sound extremely airy. Bass isn't as strong as Trinitys bass but definitely there when needed. The mids sound a tad clearer and treble is extremely crisp. Trinitys mids sound a little bit warmer and treble has'nt quite this bite. But Trinitys tuning sounds a bit fuller, more coherent and less fatique imo. Better for long listening sessions and definitely the better alrounder.
Truly a pure fun sound here. Extremely coloured but perrrfect for electronic :) I definitely wouldn't use them for Classics, Jazz or Songwriter. They complement my LX, Phantom and Trinity very well.
The Canary & Cleopatra are a lovely pairing !

Edit: They look stunning :) They are extremely big/bold and stick out of my ears quite a lot. Compared to the Trinity i prefer Trinitys semi-custom design as the nozzle reaches deeper into the ear canal. Among all my uncountable tips i've only found 1 (!) providing enough seal: Spiral Dots. So tip rolling to experience different sound signatures won't be happening for me. :frowning2:
No driver flex.
The stock cable is a Symphonym Hakone (silver/copper) and looks extremely nice. Kind of bling bling. Comparable to Eros II. I prefer Cleo though as i need this extra bass impact. Paired with Hakone the signature turns a little bit to the warmer side and the bass rumble isn't as deep and visceral as i'd expect it when listening to electronic. Here Cleo first time shines positively through for me. Up till now i had a little bit of a hard time to find an adequate partner for Cleopatra. The Canary seems to be a good choice.
Thanks for sharing your impressions! Looks awesome! :ksc75smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #16,522 of 39,419
I was baffled why Miter and AK opted not to make a case for the SE100 that covered the top and upper right side of the device.

I am now livid that they didn't, it tumbled out of my inner jacket pocket while I was getting zipped up on the way to the bus stop. And just so happed to hit the pavement at that part, lo and behold:
20190503_092844.jpg 20190503_092819.jpg
Resale value just went down again. Should have gotten the Dignis....

May 3, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #16,523 of 39,419
I was baffled why Miter and AK opted not to make a case for the SE100 that covered the top and upper right side of the device.

I am now livid that they didn't, it tumbled out of my inner jacket pocket while I was getting zipped up on the way to the bus stop. And just so happed to hit the pavement at that part, lo and behold:

Might want to contact @pithyginger63 the sandman to sand your problems away.

May 3, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #16,524 of 39,419
Nah I'll contact Pithy to send funds for the WM1A.instead.I've been meaning to get away from 2.5mm.

Kinda thankful I had a pigtail adapter, so my No. 5 didn't take much of the strain. Both the 4.4 plugs and the 2.5 held up rather well. I would be PISSED if my No. 5 broke. Praise PW Audio

May 3, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #16,525 of 39,419
New toy in the mail:

MARK-BELLAV2-2.jpg

About five weeks ago @SeeSax got sick of me complaining to him about how I could not find a hybrid I liked so he pointed me in the direction of Thomas at NCM and the Bella IEM. I have issues with coherence with hybrids. May be more a psychosomatic issue but I have not been able to find a hybrid I like more than just short listening sessions.

So I purchased the Bella from Thomas. I just said I wanted a lightly smokey translucent shell. I asked him to surprise me with the faceplate and that I am fine with 2 pin or MMCX.

The build took longer than normal and now I know why. He made a Bella V2 for me which is a pleasant surprise. According to Thomas it has a very different signature from Bella V1. He wanted to differentiate it more from the NC5V2.

I will post my initial impressions once they arrive and I will get a full review posted in June once I spend an intense month with them.

So far I can say that @thomaskr has created a very beautiful IEM.

May 3, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #16,526 of 39,419
Whoooo my Single Crystal Silver just arrived in Canada. 3-7 days till delivery supposedly.

May 3, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #16,527 of 39,419

My AK70 has the exact same dent on the corner. War wounds that it wears with pride. Don't baby you gear, "Just use it!" as one would say with a blatant disregard for trademark infringement. :p
New toy in the mail:

About five weeks ago @SeeSax got sick of me complaining to him about how I could not find a hybrid I liked so he pointed me in the direction of Thomas at NCM and the Bella IEM. I have issues with coherence with hybrids. May be more a psychosomatic issue but I have not been able to find a hybrid I like more than just short listening sessions.

So I purchased the Bella from Thomas. I just said I wanted a lightly smokey translucent shell. I asked him to surprise me with the faceplate and that I am fine with 2 pin or MMCX.

The build took longer than normal and now I know why. He made a Bella V2 for me which is a pleasant surprise. According to Thomas it has a very different signature from Bella V1. He wanted to differentiate it more from the NC5V2.

I will post my initial impressions once they arrive and I will get a full review posted in June once I spend an intense month with them.

So far I can say that @thomaskr has created a very beautiful IEM.
Ooh, awesome new toy my friend! Heard a lot of good things about the Bella and now you have a very special version of those as well, can't wait to read you impressions and full review. Enjoy!

May 3, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #16,528 of 39,419
(i once sanded a screen protector thinking i could "polish" it)

A12t's are back :v I think during the time they were gone, my ears have matured even more. I can now here their resolution level. It's great. I'm starting to finalize my description of these as well. Subbass boost, relatively neutral midbass, neutral but dense sounding lower mids, slight dip in the upper mids which helps with overall clarity but female vocals and some cymbals sound a little off, neutral treble that doesn't pop out too much. Really good overall resolution, nuance and subtle details are revealed but not force fed to you. Spatial details like the echos after instruments are a treat, and really help create a sense of space (requires mental burn in to maximize perceived stage size)

bear in mind, I might have some upper register hearing loss, despite my youth

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #16,529 of 39,419
(i once sanded a screen protector thinking i could "polish" it)
tenor.gif

Is it turning you on? :D
A12t's are back :v I think during the time they were gone, my ears have matured even more. I can now here their resolution level. It's great. I'm starting to finalize my description of these as well. Subbass boost, relatively neutral midbass, neutral but dense sounding lower mids, slight dip in the upper mids which helps with overall clarity but female vocals and some cymbals sound a little off, neutral treble that doesn't pop out too much. Really good overall resolution, nuance and subtle details are revealed but not force fed to you. Spatial details like the echos after instruments are a treat, and really help create a sense of space (requires mental burn in to maximize perceived stage size)

bear in mind, I might have some upper register hearing loss, despite my youth
Are you using the M15 or M20? I was listening to Mozart's Requiem with the U12t - M15 - Lionheart earlier today. Although not quite as engaging as my Phantom, it was technically very impressive and with a really good tonal balance. The four main vocals were especially well defined within the image in terms of position and tone.

May 3, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #16,530 of 39,419
tenor.gif

Is it turning you on? :D
yes
Are you using the M15 or M20? I was listening to Mozart's Requiem with the U12t - M15 - Lionheart earlier today. Although not quite as engaging as my Phantom, it was technically very impressive and with a really good tonal balance. The four main vocals were especially well defined within the image in terms of position and tone.
currently using M20 with a plussound X8 GPH out of ibasso dx150 (for some reason mojo don't wanna play dsd's properly, but technical performance with mojo is more impressive compared to dx150). From what I read, the Phantom is a warmer and more tonally beautiful experience right? I really want to try some Empire stuff but there are so few demos in taiwan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back