flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 3, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #16,531 of 39,419
My AK70 has the exact same dent on the corner. War wounds that it wears with pride. Don't baby you gear, "Just use it!" as one would say with a blatant disregard for trademark infringement. :p
But Erik! The resale valueeeeee AND ITS NOT SPARKLING MINT ANYMORE.to be honest I'm more depressed about the resale value going down. Follow by concern about my new No. 5.

(i once sanded a screen protector thinking i could "polish" it)

A12t's are back :v I think during the time they were gone, my ears have matured even more
Sanding a screenprotector? Pithy you have a helluva fetish there going.

Also, sand your A12t again, your ears will mature some more :p

May 3, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #16,532 of 39,419
sand your A12t again
nah I'm not gonna make that mistake again
20190504_004240.jpg
20190504_004011.jpg
20190504_004517.jpg
20190504_004157.jpg
20190504_003718.jpg
20190504_004904.jpg

Attachments

• 20190504_003755.jpg
    20190504_003755.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
May 3, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #16,533 of 39,419
currently using M20 with a plussound X8 GPH out of ibasso dx150 (for some reason mojo don't wanna play dsd's properly, but technical performance with mojo is more impressive compared to dx150). From what I read, the Phantom is a warmer and more tonally beautiful experience right? I really want to try some Empire stuff but there are so few demos in taiwan
Yes, the Phantom have a richer tone. Instruments sound fuller and the overall image is more engaging, more emotional, coloured if you will. Whereas I feel the U12t lean more towards the technical, although far from dry or analytical and I they really do impress me. But yeah, I'm a sucker for a bit of colour to my tone. :D
But Erik! The resale valueeeeee AND ITS NOT SPARKLING MINT ANYMORE.to be honest I'm more depressed about the resale value going down. Follow by concern about my new No. 5.
Resale value? What's that? :wink: Best thing to do with new gear is get it dirty or scratched or whatever as soon as possible so you can use it without worries. You know, the sort of "new sneakers = mud bath" philosophy.

May 3, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #16,535 of 39,419
Yes, the Phantom have a richer tone. Instruments sound fuller and the overall image is more engaging, more emotional, coloured if you will. Whereas I feel the U12t lean more towards the technical, although far from dry or analytical and I they really do impress me. But yeah, I'm a sucker for a bit of colour to my tone. :D

Resale value? What's that? :wink: Best thing to do with new gear is get it dirty or scratched or whatever as soon as possible so you can use it without worries. You know, the sort of "new sneakers = mud bath" philosophy.
I'm still not sure why, but I hated the sound of the Phantom with the Aries II. Definitely felt like it was veiled and I'm sure if that was because the Aries was SE and not BAL switching the to Tri-Copper and Silver solve all my issues. In fact my Phantom is on hiatus until my silver arrives. Just Zeus and No. 5 for now.

Eriiiiiiiiiiiiik, I'm not a reviwer, I need my gear in the most optimal revenue garnering state to get new gear.

@pithyginger63 Mhmmmm that reshell looks nice. Was that before or after you took that swiss army knife to if? :p

May 3, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #16,536 of 39,419
Curious if anyone knows if there's difference between Single Crystal and OCC wire for cables. It seems odd how some cables are explicitly as Single Crystal OCC rather than OCC. As far as my googlefu indicates, they're the same thing?

May 3, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #16,537 of 39,419
Mhmmmm that reshell looks nice. Was that before or after you took that swiss army knife to if? :p
actually, if you see the cable, there's a black hair tie weaved into each ear. I used the Swiss army knife to do that :wink:

the reshell definitely turned out better than I expected. It's not perfect though, there's a little cloudiness probably from the silver flake

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #16,538 of 39,419
Woa... nice close-ups. Looks pretty good quality reshell work there.

Loving my A12t too (prefer 'em with M20 module). Looks great too (without sanding, unless you want a matte look?). Hahaa, all these talks about sanding give people crazy ideas. After all, there's always Naga Audio? Hahaa! No kids, don't try sanding your brand new CIEM at home.

10285494.jpg
10285495.jpg
10285496.jpg
10285497.jpg
10285498.jpg
10285501.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #16,539 of 39,419
Currently burning in a new Curious Regen cable and added a Sonore DC-4 cable. Will update with pics and sound updates soon!

May 4, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #16,540 of 39,419
Woa... nice close-ups. Looks pretty good quality reshell work there.

Loving my A12t too (prefer 'em with M20 module). Looks great too (without sanding, unless you want a matte look?). Hahaa, all these talks about sanding give people crazy ideas. After all, there's always Naga Audio? Hahaa! No kids, don't try sanding your brand new CIEM at home.
Thanks!
I fully condone not sanding new iems bois. I did it and had to spend $500 to correct my mistake. Naga is great but be sure to send your reshells away from Chinese holidays lol. I should note that the fit style is very different between 64 and Naga. the Naga fit is geared towards long term comfort and is looser and less isolating. The 64 fit is very tight and can be difficult to achieve an initial seal. I wouldn't recommend for first time ciem buyers, but they do eventually come to isolate supremely well and feel really solid. They also exhibit less noise from body movement. It's no wonder professionals like this style of fit.

May 4, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #16,541 of 39,419
....arrived today. Hellooo little birdy.
-- The AAW Canary --

I've read here on headfi that their tuning is very similar to the Trinitys. Completely different opinion here :) They sound extremely airy. Bass isn't as strong as Trinitys bass but definitely there when needed. The mids sound a tad clearer and treble is extremely crisp. Trinitys mids sound a little bit warmer and treble has'nt quite this bite. But Trinitys tuning sounds a bit fuller, more coherent and less fatique imo. Better for long listening sessions and definitely the better alrounder.
Truly a pure fun sound here. Extremely coloured but perrrfect for electronic :) I definitely wouldn't use them for Classics, Jazz or Songwriter. They complement my LX, Phantom and Trinity very well.
The Canary & Cleopatra are a lovely pairing !

Edit: They look stunning :) They are extremely big/bold and stick out of my ears quite a lot. Compared to the Trinity i prefer Trinitys semi-custom design as the nozzle reaches deeper into the ear canal. Among all my uncountable tips i've only found 1 (!) providing enough seal: Spiral Dots. So tip rolling to experience different sound signatures won't be happening for me. :frowning2:
No driver flex.
The stock cable is a Symphonym Hakone (silver/copper) and looks extremely nice. Kind of bling bling. Comparable to Eros II. I prefer Cleo though as i need this extra bass impact. Paired with Hakone the signature turns a little bit to the warmer side and the bass rumble isn't as deep and visceral as i'd expect it when listening to electronic. Here Cleo first time shines positively through for me. Up till now i had a little bit of a hard time to find an adequate partner for Cleopatra. The Canary seems to be a good choice.

Edit2 : Just in case you are interested....the wooden case is lovely. One of the most beautiful cases i've seen so far.

And here a pic of this really nice looking (and sounding) stock cable :

Quite similar to Eros II but more bling bling as the Y-Split, the connectors and all metallic parts are solid ! That makes this cable a lot heavier.

Edit3: The Canary is definitely NOT just perfect for Electronic as i said before. While burning in the Canary and Cleo i simply can't stop listening to things like "The National - Trouble will find me". What an awsome album. Or "Things are changing" by Gone Gone Beyond. Rhiannon Giddens "There is no other". Damien Jurado "In The Shape Of A Storm". Wow ! What an awsome listening experience with the Canarys. Mids sound so beautifully balanced. Female as well as male vocals sound so delicious, well accentuated and sit perfectly within the mix of everything else creating a wonderful imaging of this kind of music i need at a rainy day like today. The lows are punchy, meaty, dry but still with great control....never distracting. Guitars sound so incredibly....melodious. I too wouldn't call the Canary as very accurate or neutral but so damn addictive as they are colored in such a pleasing way i simply can't stop listening to all my albums while my wife is waiting for me upstairs to run some errands......peace with my wife or feeding my addiction......wife or addiction........wife.......or fun.......? Wife ? What ?.....what wife ?....

giphy.gif

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #16,542 of 39,419
Edit3: The Canary is definitely NOT just perfect for Electronic as i said before. While burning in the Canary and Cleo i simply can't stop listening to things like "The National - Trouble will find me". What an awsome album. Or "Things are changing" by Gone Gone Beyond. Rhiannon Giddens "There is no other". Wow ! What an awsome listening experience with the Canarys. Mids sound so beautifully balanced. Female as well as male vocals sound so delicious, well accentuated and sit perfectly within the mix of everything else creating a wonderful imaging of this kind of music i need at a rainy day like today. The lows are punchy, meaty, dry but still with great control....never distracting. Guitars sound so incredibly....melodious. I too wouldn't call the Canary as very accurate or neutral but so damn addictive as they are colored in such a pleasing way i simply can't stop listening to all my albums while my wife is waiting for me upstairs to run some errands......peace with my wife or feeding my addiction......wife or addiction........wife.......or fun.......? Wife ? What ?.....what wife ?....

giphy.gif
Better get those errands done mate...
giphy.gif

May 4, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #16,543 of 39,419

Wait, so these shells been filed with a nail file? Hard to tell because I'm not sure if it's a finish or something else :wink: Btw, I just tested FIR audio new atom xl modules, the same size as apex and adel; might give you another option for fine-tuning your iems sound (though, won't help you with the fit :D).

fir_audio_atom-XL-05.jpg fir_audio_atom-XL-06.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #16,544 of 39,419
Wait, so these shells been filed with a nail file? Hard to tell because I'm not sure if it's a finish or something else :wink: Btw, I just tested FIR audio new atom xl modules, the same size as apex and adel; might give you another option for fine-tuning your iems sound (though, won't help you with the fit :D).

Oh man, I'm definitely interested. The m20 is still the most isolating though from what I'm reading

May 4, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #16,545 of 39,419

The ones @pithyginger63 filed and sanded were pre-reshell. This one's by Naga Audio and those sparkly things are silver flakes mixed into the clear acrylic resin. I'm still in awe of how incredible their work is. I read the atom-XL article this morning. Great stuff! I look forward to giving 'em a try when I get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back