flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #2,702 of 39,414
Anyone able to compare the totl iem's listed here and the Hifiman re2000 as well as the Audeze i4?

If so, where do you think these two new totl iem's would fall out on the current list?

Thanks.

I had a really short demo of the RE2000 and I was very impressed. It had a natural tonality with brilliant extension both ways. I'd consider characterise its signature as somewhere between the Zeus-XR and the UE18+. I'm afraid I can't elaborate any further due to my limited time with it, but I'm excited to spend more time with it when I get the chance.

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #2,703 of 39,414
Deezel, I appreciate your thoughts. I love my HE1000v2 so am naturally interested in Hifiman's new iem.

I also tend to think a closed iem might make more sense but the reviews of the Audeze i4 certainly have me intrigued.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #2,704 of 39,414
I had a really short demo of the RE2000 and I was very impressed. It had a natural tonality with brilliant extension both ways. I'd consider characterise its signature as somewhere between the Zeus-XR and the UE18+. I'm afraid I can't elaborate any further due to my limited time with it, but I'm excited to spend more time with it when I get the chance.
I was curious to hear it at first and then there have been a couple of recent reviews where I decided I already have a great DD and didn't need another 2K DD.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,705 of 39,414
I did my best to let anyone interested in listening to the LCD-i4 to try them. During this weekend.
Bmichels for portable useuse for example said he preferred the kse1500 with the Ultima SP1000 which he bought. He did try the Hugo 2 with the Tia Fourte vs the LCD-i4 but I didn't get his verdict. He liked the fourth but said it coloured too much. Levi musicday preferred the Tia Fourte with the Hugo 2, was like a tie with LCD-i4 but he preferred the noise isolation. I haven't tried the Hugo2 at all which is big fail on my part. Especially as there were three Hugo 2 , Ethan's, Bertrand's and Levi's. Even forgot to check em and the Dave at thecanjam Chord table...
So I had only compared the Tia Fourte and LCD-i4 on my WM1A. I still prefer my LCD-i4 I find it more natural. Plus you couldn't even get it in custom and I find the universal package as a whole of a kiddy kikoolol bad taste. The orange shell, the tia logo font school writing throwback. They bulge out like noble universals. But +pts for being thief envy deterrent
That being said, they sound great. Sick quality boosted bass coming out of em. Great extension and resolution.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #2,706 of 39,414
Moedawg did an iem clinic session back at the hotel lounge from midnight to 6am, he got to try the LCD-i4 for 2-3hours haha. Whole table filled with iems to try out.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,707 of 39,414
I was curious to hear it at first and then there have been a couple of recent reviews where I decided I already have a great DD and didn't need another 2K DD.

Who really needs them? Die hard fans? Migration from multi BA to Single DD?

I'm waiting for more serious reviews to know their average rating, till now I don't read anything that will trigger my finger to press on the "buy it now" button !

If I have the choice, I will go for a pair of Fourte or U18 with a nice aftermarket cable, why? Because they are the most valuable pair of iems on the market right now ! Even on resale you won't lose more than 20% of your investment, but it will be like playing russian roulette buying the RE2000. Unless they receive more love than the two above :)

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #2,708 of 39,414
I will probably resume the shootout within 2 weeks.

Also, listened to the VE8 twice at the Effect Audio booth. Unfortunately, it was not enough time to detect anything wrong with it. It seems to be doing a lot more right than wrong. The KSE1500 on the other hand left me with mixed feelings, so I can still ruin that for Mim if he's out of line :deadhorse:
It is OK, the KSE1500's is not something basic audiophiles can grasp :D

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #2,709 of 39,414
Oh Nic! Michael just called you basic!

2015-11-19_1447895727180.jpg

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #2,710 of 39,414
Oh snap!!

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #2,712 of 39,414
KSE1500 is a whole system, love it or hate it but it does the job without pairing issues. You can't go wrong with them, you'll just have to select the right mini to mini cable which is yet another story :)

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,714 of 39,414
KSE1500 is a whole system, love it or hate it but it does the job without pairing issues. You can't go wrong with them, you'll just have to select the right mini to mini cable which is yet another story :)
do you use it as a portable system? One of the reasons I passed on it is because it's just not portable for me

Jul 18, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,715 of 39,414
Which would be a nice CIEM replacement for an IE 800, with great soundstage and instrument separation for classical/symphonic/instrumental listening, as well as jazz and classic rock?
I'd recommend custom Mason 2 if you llke more bass, and Maestro 2 for better midrange instrumental sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back