flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 17, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #2,673 of 39,414
We all do, it takes one to know one :D

I definitely have to visit a therapist, in 5 years I spent more with audio stuffs than buying a brand new car . I still remember the days when I was happy hanging out with my ipod classic and $15 Sony earbuds.

Even if I invest thousands nowadays, I won't be happy, simply because we want more and more without reaching our end game, even if we do, the manufacturers will tell you that something better is out and that what you bought is obsolete (you should have wait for the best)

Some manufacturers will prefer releasing an unfinished product to release the finished one a couple of months later, then will either ask you for a substantial amount to upgrade and if you're not eligible due to your region, you shall have to sell the previous version, lose about 30-40% of its value and spend way more on the updated version......and some months later, the manufacturer will release another one, repeating the same history saying that this is an updated version!

I don't know if you noticed that, but most iems/dap/dac/headphones brands have been established less than five years ago, which means that this market is growing :)

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #2,674 of 39,414
I definitely have to visit a therapist, in 5 years I spent more with audio stuffs than buying a brand new car . I still remember the days when I was happy hanging out with my ipod classic and $15 Sony earbuds.

Even if I invest thousands nowadays, I won't be happy, simply because we want more and more without reaching our end game, even if we do, the manufacturers will tell you that something better is out and that what you bought is obsolete (you should have wait for the best)

Some manufacturers will prefer releasing an unfinished product to release the finished one a couple of months later, then will either ask you for a substantial amount to upgrade and if you're not eligible due to your region, you shall have to sell the previous version, lose about 30-40% of its value and spend way more on the updated version......and some months later, the manufacturer will release another one, repeating the same history saying that this is an updated version!

I don't know if you noticed that, but most iems/dap/dac/headphones brands have been established less than five years ago, which means that this market is growing :)
Back then when you were enjoying your $15 Sony earbuds were you on a audio forum ?

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #2,676 of 39,414

When I get an impulse to buy, I generally refrain it, postpone until I can test or gather more info. The things I still want after a few months and the hype has gone by, I get them. Only a couple of brands get a blind buy from me.

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #2,677 of 39,414
I certainly wasn't. I was on a photography forum trying to decide on which 500mm prime to get.
218aaa93b832f31443f86afcbb975ded4ed771e709f8754365a3863da58785f7.jpg

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #2,678 of 39,414
still , this is a better,healthier hobby than say doing heroin( or cocaine)

the addiction is the same though , and you probably end up spending more money

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #2,680 of 39,414
Jul 17, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #2,681 of 39,414
Back then when you were enjoying your $15 Sony earbuds were you on a audio forum ?

Yes I was on anythingbutipod and a couple of hifi forums, but at that time the focus was on "stacking" and various moddings such as Rockbox.

There wasn't any kind of hype to make you spend more money, but mainly DIYing to make what you already have sounds better

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #2,684 of 39,414
I just received an e-mail from Grzegorz of Spiral Ear and he's informed that a universal demo of the SE5U isn't available because it would be "physically impossible" to make it sound like the actual custom. This would also imply impressions based on force-fit CIEMs are ill-advised. I don't know how much of this is factually true, but it is what it is; straight from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2,685 of 39,414
I just received an e-mail from Grzegorz of Spiral Ear and he's informed that a universal demo of the SE5U isn't available because it would be "physically impossible" to make it sound like the actual custom. This would also imply impressions based on force-fit CIEMs are ill-advised. I don't know how much of this is factually true, but it is what it is; straight from the horse's mouth.
Good to know! Nic told me to check out the SE5U as well, but because of my bad experience with acrylic CIEMs I am very reluctant to take risks with silicone, despite it possibly being okay. It is a shame that it means I can't really consider buying these legendary CIEMs unless I would be able to try out a silicone fit beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back