flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 17, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #2,687 of 39,414
Good to know! Nic told me to check out the SE5U as well, but because of my bad experience with acrylic CIEMs I am very reluctant to take risks with silicone, despite it possibly being okay. It is a shame that it means I can't really consider buying these legendary CIEMs unless I would be able to try out a silicone fit beforehand.

Considering Nic's break from the shoot-out, it might be time for me to send him a PM or two myself. :D

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #2,688 of 39,414
Considering Nic's break from the shoot-out, it might be time for me to send him a PM or two myself. :D
Hey, good tactic! We will overwhelm him with PMs and bully him into continuing the shootout! :smiling_imp:

(Awww... poor guy! Just kidding Nic! :wink:)

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #2,689 of 39,414
Or we could all take 5% of our audio budget to see a therapist who would tell us that happiness comes from within and not from a hopeless and endless quest for the ultimate sound, which by definition doesn't exist, and will leave us penniless, homeless, single, deaf, and probably insane (if I judge by a some posts of our elderly audiophile brethren).
I actually have an even more cost effective solution. Unsubscribe from Head-Fi and don't visit any of the manufacturers websites nor follow them on social media. You'll avoid the upgrade bug and fanfare that way.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,691 of 39,414
I will probably resume the shootout within 2 weeks.

Also, listened to the VE8 twice at the Effect Audio booth. Unfortunately, it was not enough time to detect anything wrong with it. It seems to be doing a lot more right than wrong. The KSE1500 on the other hand left me with mixed feelings, so I can still ruin that for Mim if he's out of line :deadhorse:

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,692 of 39,414
Thank god I am happy with my er4s and I just read from pure curiosity
I keep telling myself that, while at the same time I keep (entirely subconsciously) dropping hints to my wife that we might at some point have to part with some of our life savings in exchange for stuff she does not see the point of. :yum:

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,693 of 39,414
I keep telling myself that, while at the same time I keep (entirely subconsciously) dropping hints to my wife that we might at some point have to part with some of our life savings in exchange for stuff she does not see the point of. :yum:
You need more drugs in your life, on dmt the er4s sound like vacuum in a black hole

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #2,695 of 39,414
Or we could all take 5% of our audio budget to see a therapist who would tell us that happiness comes from within and not from a hopeless and endless quest for the ultimate sound, which by definition doesn't exist, and will leave us penniless, homeless, single, deaf, and probably insane (if I judge by a some posts of our elderly audiophile brethren).
groucho.jpg

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,696 of 39,414

Also, listened to the VE8 twice at the Effect Audio booth. Unfortunately, it was not enough time to detect anything wrong with it. It seems to be doing a lot more right than wrong. The KSE1500 on the other hand left me with mixed feelings, so I can still ruin that for Mim if he's out of line :deadhorse:

Must have been one wild birthday party celebration over the weekend, Nic, if it's gonna take you 2 weeks to recover! :D j/k of course :wink: Take your time, you deserve a break!

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #2,697 of 39,414

VE8...a nice all arounder. Jack of all trades..

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #2,699 of 39,414
Anyone able to compare the totl iem's listed here and the Hifiman re2000 as well as the Audeze i4?

If so, where do you think these two new totl iem's would fall out on the current list?

Thanks.

having heard a few of the TOTL IEM's , i find that it comes down more to personal preference than anything. At that level, they are all so close it just boils down to what style works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back