flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 20, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #272 of 39,414
Solar is bassy. But in a good way. :)

Its success lies in just how detailed, clear, and bright it can be, even though it is a bassy "warm" IEM. Solar is an impressive creature.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #273 of 39,414
Yep, but really the spiral ears is a 5 way crossover design I don't think any other multi BA iem has that, even Zeus is 4 way (I think) and most 10 drivers are 3 way. So it's not about the number of drivers but probably is about the crossover, the Se5 is a very complex design!

Zeus-XIV has a 7-way crossover and the Zeus-R has a 8 way crossover. 

Also, the Perfect Seal Deca has 5-way crossover.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #275 of 39,414
P.S: At 1200 Euros, the Ref cannot be branded as anything but a bargain.

oh man , let me lie in peace 
tongue.gif

thank the universe , that NT6 delivers constantly every day since last June 

but for the sake of conversation , how does se5 ref sound in general ?

btw , se5 ult is the only ciem i am currently would love to get (zeus xr is way over my budget)

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #276 of 39,414
Spiral Ears had a sale for 2015 Chinese New Year. 20% off between Feb 08 and Mar 05. Can't find any info, if they had such a sale in 2016. Anyone interested in their IEMs can keep a look out by watching their Facebook page.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #277 of 39,414
Spiral Ears had a sale for 2015 Chinese New Year. 20% off between Feb 08 and Mar 05. Can't find any info, if they had such a sale in 2016. Anyone interested in their IEMs can keep a look out by watching their Facebook page.

Well spotted. I asked Grezegorz in Jan 2016 and he said he isn't having a sale that year. Will do the same now regarding 2017.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #279 of 39,414
The Solars too sub bass heavy? Nothing can be too sub bass in my world. You could have asked for the Solar Ref. Model.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #283 of 39,414
Good thing that was corrected, I almost had to send you some of my henchmen.

Well, my favorite IEM came in 3rd, so I still honored it in my eyes by mistakenly placing 5-Way at 2nd. :cool:

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #284 of 39,414
  Hey guys, is rhapsodio's solar one of the lower end of the TOTL iems or a TOTL not really worth considering? haha, was hoping to see em on this list but am a little sad that it's not :frowning2:

I have a pair on the way already and hoping it's not a wrong decision! (nervous nervous, my first pair of ciems ><) Cuz I kinda liked its sweet sweet treble when I tried it heh. Chosen the solar as I preferred it over the earwerks omega and the roxanne :)

The Solar is awesome. The mids and treble tuning is one of my favourites. A bit coloured but sounds amazing for slower tracks. I'd say it's a bit too midbassy for my tastes, and sold it on bcos (like @Docterror said) Galaxy v2 is the best Rhapsodio tuning to my ears.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #285 of 39,414
The truth is, there has never been a better time to buy one. The prices of TOTLs have kept on increasing while the SE5 way has stayed the same, the Euro currency exchange has changed a lot (since its intro) more likely in the favour of non-Euro currency buyer than not, and since no one smart :wink: sells them, they retain their value extremely well.

It really is impressive that despite an ever increasing battle of driver numbers, the 5 driver and 6 driver (NT6P) is kicking a lot of derrières. It is all about the tuning and while the Katana makes up for my ex-NT6P, nothing still has replaced the 5way's exquisite tonality. Even the highly resolving 14 driver Zeus-R, which is my best IEM to date, cannot capture the naturality that the 5way does.

All this makes Nic's shoot out even harder to wait for. I think I am going to unsubscribe, deactivate the account and self induce a coma till end of May. Yes, I am that terrible at staying put! :frowning2:

And here comes the poison!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back