flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 9, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #10,516 of 39,414
Any idea how the bravado's perform with rock and metal by chance?
It really depends a lot on the song or album. Today I listened to a couple of Joy Wants Eternity albums and they sounded brilliant. Then, something like Katatonia's Dead End Kings album with its meaty kick drums is not so gratifying. The bass tends to get pretty overwhelming on certain tracks.

I'm still in the undecided phase with the Bravado. It's not really an all-rounder for me. Sometimes it sounds fantastic and other times it sounds too thick/muddy and overwhelming. This is coming from a reformed basshead too btw.

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #10,518 of 39,414
Pewdiepie Unboxing Custom Earphone

CooperativeSpotlessDutchsmoushond-max-1mb.gif

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #10,519 of 39,414
though on the flipside, the lack of proper auditions is a large contributing factor (along with no returns and refunds) that what keeps used market so vibrant in hk lol.

Wow, I now realize why folks don't always 'get' 2 channel. They need 1 sound room where they can set up a near field listening environment to sell some of this very good sounding gear.

Not really, the biggest issue of 2 channel system in Hong Kong is high property price, check out this Property advertisement, at US$1.5m, I get buy this 27 years old, 567 sq ft (net) apartment. Check out the photo of the living room if you prefer looking at the real "picture". This apartment is location at a slightly above average residential area but still not in the premium location. Can you design a reasonable 2 channel sound system that can fit in this apartment?

Andy, I wish I could come over to visit you and have fun auditioning and listening to fun music.

Manufactures I speak with are focused on teh gear guys. They are the ones who purchase the gear adn that has never really changed over the years.

You ae most welcomed, drop me a PM if you were to come to Hong Kong, I'll show you around checking out 2 channels and headphones stores during your free time.

I too feel the dual 3.5mm balanced sounds best. I spoke with a lead engineer at Ayre this week about these connections and was told that they are only after the best sound. This is why even the Codex at 2k has the Pono connectors. If someone listens at home, they should get a set made wiht their top cable and then switch out etc... I promise you they will hear a tremendous difference. I have a specially made Pono type cable for my top head phones. I will put my ZMF Ori's in balanced mode with a 15' all silver cable (hand drawn adn the best headphone cable I've EVER auditioned), hooked up to my Ayre QX5/20 DAC/Streamer/AMP and it will compete or beat most can's regardless of cost that are played with stock cables into most any of their dac amp combos that are under 10k.

I'll be selling the Ayre only because I have The Memory Player coming in soon (we are swapping to StealthCaps for the bypass caps and making some other major upgrades) and Sam (owner) is installing a special headphone amp for me, so I'm hoping it's close to the Ayre.

Andy, I wish I could afford one of your top amps, lol....:wink:

Well, when I said the dual 3.5 is the best sounding balanced connection, I was referring to portable application. If were to go for desktop solution like the Codex, I'll prefer dual XLR and 4-pins XLR. The XLR connector are lockable and offers larger contact surface when compare to 3.5mm connectors. In fact, even 4pin XLR will offer better contact surface over 3.5mm connectors for headphone application.

Well, if you upgrade from Codex (US$1999), then the HA-300 at US$3999 seems to be a reasonable upgrade target. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 9, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #10,520 of 39,414
Not really, the biggest issue of 2 channel system in Hong Kong is high property price, check out this Property advertisement, at US$1.5m, I get buy this 27 years old, 567 sq ft (net) apartment. Check out the photo of the living room if you prefer looking at the real "picture". This apartment is location at a slightly above average residential area but still not in the premium location. Can you design a reasonable 2 channel sound system that can fit in this apartment?

You ae most welcomed, drop me a PM if you were to come to Hong Kong, I'll show you around checking out 2 channels and headphones stores during your free time.

Well, when I said the dual 3.5 is the best sounding balanced connection, I was referring to portable application. If were to go for desktop solution like the Codex, I'll prefer dual XLR and 4-pins XLR. The XLR connector are lockable and offers larger contact surface when compare to 3.5mm connectors. In fact, even 4pin XLR will offer better contact surface over 3.5mm connectors for headphone application.

Well, if you upgrade from Codex (US$1999), then the HA-300 at US$3999 seems to be a reasonable upgrade target. :beyersmile:

heh, a good 2ch system might not be likely, but 2ch systems are still healthy if not as popular as they were a decade ago.

I too live in hk, and before getting into head-fi (due to the frequent need to go overseas) i had the luxury of having a dedicated listening room in my 700 sq ft flat for my 2 ch system.

The image you attachef above is the typical layout for a "mid-fi" retailer in the mong kok area, there are better set up places around central and in distributor showrooms.

upload_2018-6-10_2-58-12.jpeg

(showroom in central)

BCC9BE9C-85D3-4FD0-A8C1-17693FA94E6B.jpeg

(flat of an accquaintace of mine via 6moons)

there are many sides to the story, and yes, head-fi is more democratising, but it has not replaced 2ch. Setting proper set up aside, brands like Magico, Goldmund and Wilson sells more in HK than most countries aside from Russia and China.

And if one look at 2nd hand forums like https://www.review33.com/2ndhand/
you will see how fast and furious the market is.

just my 2¢

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #10,521 of 39,414

Wish I had computer access to share proper thoughts. As soon as I do, I will. I would have a blast setting up a nice near field listening system there. Very easy believe it or not. Lol. Andy, my buddies at Ayre like the Dual Dims too and that’s why they will incorporate it going forward I think. I own the Ayre QX5 DAC not the Codex. They built it for the 4 to 5 k price range. Long story. They now sell it off that new website that Computer Audiophile started.

In such small spaces I would be going with speakers designed to hug the wall for bass reinforcement. A Vandersteen Quattro like I own, with an 11 band Eq in the bass from 100hz down allows you to position the speaker for the best soundstage and then let you dial the 11 most important bass frequencies in for perfect installs. Match it with and Ayre AX5/20, Gryphon or 2k Belles integrated amps and feed it off whatever source you want and you have a great sounding system.

HK is a dream for me. I’ve have many good friends from there.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #10,522 of 39,414
UE Live impressions

Bass is big especially on mid bass. the first time I listened to this it reminded me of the sennheiser IE8/80 800, Xelento
I am impressed despite for me having a mid bass hump it is very well controlled tight and FAST. The Live is a DD warm signature. This is not an always bass ON iem but when impact and slam calls for it
it delivers it in big sound but not on the level of ie800/s and xelento imo. It is also deep but I thought it is more focused on the mid bass. Drums are very well portrayed, weighty and solid as well as the notes. They are very engaging when the mid bass starts to show giving me that "Live" feeling. Though those who come from a bright or clarity focused signature might hear these a bit muffled.

the mids are well detailed. Bass for me does not bleed into the mids.Vocals have a nice timbre. It is clear and does not drown out on complex passages. But they are not forward like the 18+.
It sounds thick on the lower region and could sometimes project forwardness (imho, 160Hz-315Hz). It is lush, organic and also sweet. It does also have the micro details on its vocals. High mids have a nice presence particularly at the 2kHz region or slight bump giving it some clarity(maybe just on my ears as I also experience some ringing at 2kHz on planars, Audeze). Pianoes sound accurate and has a sweet tone on them for me.

The highs are refined compared to my 2nd gen 18+. Sometimes gets hot and give me sibilance(sensitive to sibilance, my right ear canal has a bend) starting from 6.3kHz to 8kHz and slowly dropping at 10kHz and so on (I wonder if the custom version has these). Giving it spark and also shimmer compared to my 18+. Extension for me is good and enough but not highly extended.

Soundstage is huge accompanying its big bass. Instrument separation is also good even with a bassy signature. Layering is similar to the 2nd and 3rd gen 18+.

Like what is mentioned, for me it is also a unique tuning. Ime, on a hybrid design, I sometimes feel the DDs being disjointed or not coherent on the whole presentation like the bass, mids and highs are differently tuned. I didn't feel this on the UE Live. The coherence I get from my 2nd gen 18+ is also what the Live has imho. I thought it has a very good fusion with the BAs and a DD coherency if I'm not mistaken even besting my 18+. The whole presentation is warm, controlled, very good transition and smooth. It sounds one as a whole for me.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #10,523 of 39,414
Just got some pretty bad news unfortunately.. Rick informed me he will be expanding his product line.

Sorry for this bad news Nic,... but it could have been even worse!! :)

Jun 10, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #10,524 of 39,414
Did some catching up on reading this thread this morning. So many hilarious 'cat vs dog' gifs and great reviews / impressions over the past week. I had a great morning because of that :thumbsup:

As you know, I feel the same about all of these. I have owned Grado for years and years. They are one of those brands that are hand made and have a house sound. they all lack sub bass.

Have you ever tried the (mid-tier) PS500 Pete? I've had the GS1000 (great soundstage and sounded wonderful out of a RudiStor tube amp which I had at that time) and the RS2 (which sounded especially good with acoustic music). Both lacked in the (sub)bass department for my taste.
I still have the PS500 around though, as that one delivers more than enough bass imo. Not LCD-2 level, but surely still enough to enjoy the heck out of it whenever I reach for it :)
Besides that, it's also easy to drive from a dap.

Finally i have the RUSH list with three songs only, and I have been using this RUSH list for 10+ years.
I also always carry a RUSH list with me wherever I go :wink:
PhShJytnrcCJSWezBNhLW3-320-80.jpg

Jun 10, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #10,526 of 39,414
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #10,528 of 39,414
Jun 10, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #10,529 of 39,414
UE Live impressions

Bass is big especially on mid bass. the first time I listened to this it reminded me of the sennheiser IE8/80 800, Xelento
I am impressed despite for me having a mid bass hump it is very well controlled tight and FAST. The Live is a DD warm signature. This is not an always bass ON iem but when impact and slam calls for it
it delivers it in big sound but not on the level of ie800/s and xelento imo. It is also deep but I thought it is more focused on the mid bass. Drums are very well portrayed, weighty and solid as well as the notes. They are very engaging when the mid bass starts to show giving me that "Live" feeling. Though those who come from a bright or clarity focused signature might hear these a bit muffled.

the mids are well detailed. Bass for me does not bleed into the mids.Vocals have a nice timbre. It is clear and does not drown out on complex passages. But they are not forward like the 18+.
It sounds thick on the lower region and could sometimes project forwardness (imho, 160Hz-315Hz). It is lush, organic and also sweet. It does also have the micro details on its vocals. High mids have a nice presence particularly at the 2kHz region or slight bump giving it some clarity(maybe just on my ears as I also experience some ringing at 2kHz on planars, Audeze). Pianoes sound accurate and has a sweet tone on them for me.

The highs are refined compared to my 2nd gen 18+. Sometimes gets hot and give me sibilance(sensitive to sibilance, my right ear canal has a bend) starting from 6.3kHz to 8kHz and slowly dropping at 10kHz and so on (I wonder if the custom version has these). Giving it spark and also shimmer compared to my 18+. Extension for me is good and enough but not highly extended.

Soundstage is huge accompanying its big bass. Instrument separation is also good even with a bassy signature. Layering is similar to the 2nd and 3rd gen 18+.

Like what is mentioned, for me it is also a unique tuning. Ime, on a hybrid design, I sometimes feel the DDs being disjointed or not coherent on the whole presentation like the bass, mids and highs are differently tuned. I didn't feel this on the UE Live. The coherence I get from my 2nd gen 18+ is also what the Live has imho. I thought it has a very good fusion with the BAs and a DD coherency if I'm not mistaken even besting my 18+. The whole presentation is warm, controlled, very good transition and smooth. It sounds one as a whole for me.

Hope this helps :)

Forgot to ask you in UE thread, so might as well ask here while I'm waiting for N8 to arrive - how does their bass compare? LIVE bass is addictive, now wondering how does it compares to N8? I'm sure N8 won't have a treble roll off due to tia, but curious about da bass :)

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #10,530 of 39,414
Forgot to ask you in UE thread, so might as well ask here while I'm waiting for N8 to arrive - how does their bass compare? LIVE bass is addictive, now wondering how does it compares to N8? I'm sure N8 won't have a treble roll off due to tia, but curious about da bass :)

Im sorry, I haven't tried the N8 :)

If there's a hybrid worth mentioning, for me it would be the Hyla's Ce05. I really did like the bass and highs of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back