flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 22, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #9,991 of 39,414
Aeon Flow Open.. It’s like a warm blanket on a cold night. The name says Open, but it’s more of a Semi-Open headphone. A warm, woolly bass, supplemented by a linear, soothing treble, bridged by a romantic mid-range that, make you fall in love with your music all over again. Okayish technicalities in terms of soundstage, imaging, separation, layering, resolution and transparency. But the coherency and focus is top notch. The timbral resolution may be average, but the timbral tone is very pleasing and almost accurate. All that in a light weight package at just 330g or .6 lbs. This one’s a keeper.

Now, the LCD-2C... I’d be in trouble if I called it a keeper, as it is a loaner. Very good technicalities and performance for its price. An epitome of balance between tonality and technicality. While it may not have the same linear treble of the AFO, it impresses with its very clean bass and a comforting mid-range. The 2C is one of those headphones that may be a little difficult to describe because it doesn’t have a very strong character. I mean in a good way. In it’s all-black and wrought-iron rugged look, it looks spectacular and badass. If Batman wanted a black headphone, this would be the one.

Yes! I tried the 4Z quite a while ago, but I was fortunately capable of resisting the temptation until I eventually forgot about it... Thanks for reminding me. :D For studio applications, the 4Z is something I've been eyeing for a while. I'll think about it... :wink:

I completely agree, though. If @Wyville is still looking for a semi-open headphone for casual use, the AFO is the perfect all-rounder (value, comfort and drivability included).

guys, I auditioned all the can's out there. I ended up with the ZMF Ori's in Bocote (a special order as there are only a couple in that wood, but it sounds warmer on the mids). I added a long Audio Arts cable with Furetech connections and it rocks. I like it better than all the Audeze's and most of my 2 channel buddies sell the Audeze so I've heard them with top DAC's and amps. I feel the Ori is a spec better than the 4's in tonality. That's just so important to me in headphones (as well as any transducer). I'm selling them now that I don't use them (Phantoms are the only other headphone/CIEM that I need right now). I fell for the new ZMF Auteurs. They are very special and an open back. Beautiful to look at also. Give them a listen for under 2k before spending what an LCD 4 anything costs. They are that good. JMHO

May 22, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #9,992 of 39,414
Anyone tried the ifi Micro Black Label + iGalvonic? Seems like a helluva deal given the reviews, people saying it's up there with Hugo2, Sp1000, etc at 1/2 and 1/3 the cost respectively. Then they also have the iSilencer and iDefender USB cleaners, seems like they have a lot of innovation going on for very reasonable prices. Black Label gets rave reviews.

May 22, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #9,993 of 39,414
Anyone tried the ifi Micro Black Label + iGalvonic? Seems like a helluva deal given the reviews, people saying it's up there with Hugo2, Sp1000, etc at 1/2 and 1/3 the cost respectively. Then they also have the iSilencer and iDefender USB cleaners, seems like they have a lot of innovation going on for very reasonable prices. Black Label gets rave reviews.

BL is very nice , a bargain for the price imo

only reason i sticked to my wm1a is it would be too much hassle to get all my cables re-terminated from 4.4 plus wm1a is small and has like a 20-25 hour battery

also tried H2 , i did not find it to be really superior to the BL , and mind you BL costs like 1/4 of the H2

May 22, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #9,994 of 39,414

only reason i sticked to my wm1a is it would be too much hassle to get all my cables re-terminated from 4.4 plus wm1a is small and has like a 20-25 hour battery

also tried H2 , i did not find it to be really superior to the BL , and mind you BL costs like 1/4 of the H2

Thx for the info. Have you heard Wa8?

May 22, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #9,997 of 39,414

i experienced first hand disappointment w/ h2 after falling for the hype, i sold it after a few weeks feeling it's overrated and overpriced.
i don't think it's significantly better than either BL or mojo, both are 90% there in regards to resolution for a fractional price.
the only notable standout for h2 was a really black background/low noise floor. other than that, meh. it's not a bad product by any means, just not $2000 good to me, i'd pay like $700 for it relatively speaking.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #9,998 of 39,414
Good to know!!

Any info you can toss our way on possibly the best named iem ever Finsky?
Based on what I know. Config, 1 x DD + 1 x BA. Price, around $200. Named from latin/bird. Finschi's 'chi' AFAIK isn't pronounced like 'chips', but more like 'key'. I like calling it Finsky better, to avoid. If you've heard the bass of the Oriolus V2, the Finsky is somewhat similar. Transparent shell, and a marble-like white faceplate, with a golden 'Oriolus' text. :)

May 22, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #10,000 of 39,414
guys, I auditioned all the can's out there. I ended up with the ZMF Ori's in Bocote (a special order as there are only a couple in that wood, but it sounds warmer on the mids). I added a long Audio Arts cable with Furetech connections and it rocks. I like it better than all the Audeze's and most of my 2 channel buddies sell the Audeze so I've heard them with top DAC's and amps. I feel the Ori is a spec better than the 4's in tonality. That's just so important to me in headphones (as well as any transducer). I'm selling them now that I don't use them (Phantoms are the only other headphone/CIEM that I need right now). I fell for the new ZMF Auteurs. They are very special and an open back. Beautiful to look at also. Give them a listen for under 2k before spending what an LCD 4 anything costs. They are that good. JMHO
I’ve never tried your particular ZMFs but if cost is no object I have a hard time convincing myself that they get you closer to the music than either Abysses, Utopias or top offerings by the the usual suspects. Guess I just need to get my head under a pair don't I! : )

Based on what I know. Config, 1 x DD + 1 x BA. Price, around $200. Named from latin/bird. Finschi's 'chi' AFAIK isn't pronounced like 'chips', but more like 'key'. I like calling it Finsky better, to avoid. If you've heard the bass of the Oriolus V2, the Finsky is somewhat similar. Transparent shell, and a marble-like white faceplate, with a golden 'Oriolus' text. :)
I need a gym iem so very interesting!

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #10,001 of 39,414
WOW!!! 10K posts in this 'already legendary by life' thread!!!
giphy.gif

What do you guys/girls think: free drinks* for everyone on the thread starters bill? :wink:
giphy.gif

* and maybe free iems for everyone at 20K posts?

May 22, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #10,002 of 39,414
WOW!!! 10K posts in this 'already legendary by life' thread!!!
giphy.gif

What do you guys/girls think: free drinks* for everyone on the thread starters bill? :wink:
giphy.gif

* and maybe free iems for everyone at 20K posts?
I have only followed this thread for the last couple weeks, but its a fascinating read, so many IEM's and so many different opinions and thoughts. Love it!

May 22, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #10,003 of 39,414
Yes! I tried the 4Z quite a while ago, but I was fortunately capable of resisting the temptation until I eventually forgot about it... Thanks for reminding me. :D For studio applications, the 4Z is something I've been eyeing for a while. I'll think about it... :wink:

I completely agree, though. If @Wyville is still looking for a semi-open headphone for casual use, the AFO is the perfect all-rounder (value, comfort and drivability included).

I actually remember the 4Z (or was it the MX-4? I'm having trouble recalling) having more upper-midrange presence than the LCD-4. I remember the LCD-4 having a decent 5kHz dip, but I still found it relatively balanced and well-suited to my sensibilities. For reference, I usually mix with monitors that are more neutral-natural - especially in the bass. That way, I can craft a mix that sounds pleasing to me, then cross-check with headphones/IEMs of all kinds. I mainly use my HD800S and my Ocharaku IEMs for sibilance torture tests and to confirm edits; cuts, fades, etc. Again, I'll definitely give it another go some time in the future.

It probably was the MX4, as the 4Z just came out. I never compared the 4Z to the 4. But from what I gather, it looks like the 2 cans sound a little different. But regardless, 4Z or a 4 would be a nice addition to your stable. :D

I can just see the little devil horns all over that post (and Daniel's)!

I did try to demo the AFO last year when I saw them at the Chord Company booth, but ironically the guy could not get the cables connected up properly for me to have a listen. (Never hire students to do show floor demos, they're only interested in the free grub.) Still, because I sat there for 10 minutes or so waiting for him to ultimately fail to provide a sound, I did get a good "feel" for the AFO and have to say they were very comfortable. :p

He he he. The devil is more of an angel in disguise man. If I were being a true devil, I'd ask you to get a MrSpeakers Voce with a BHSE amp. :D

You're sonic preference and gear choice mimic mine, and on paper, I shouldn't love my Phantoms as much as I do. Strange to think, considering what we heard from them, but no longer can these once TOTL headphones be considered the upper echelon of resolution retrieval with the likes of Utopias and Abysses now reigning supreme. Did you happen to get a chance to try the AFC? It seems the design of the cup/driver combo was better suited to be the closed variety. I'm an "open only" kinda headphone guy and the AFC were not only the first sealed can I liked but it was also the first time I preferred the closed sibling. You still did good to pickup the opens! You're not slumming it!

Same question : ) AFC audition?

Hi bud. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the AFC. Its definitely on my must-try list, if I make it to any of the upcoming Canjams. The reason I went with the AFO was, I wanted something that is quite forgiving of mediocre quality tracks and AFO is wonderfully forgiving.

Hi Pete. I have tried a couple of the Ori's and I liked one of them, but forgot which wood though. But unfortunately, they are not comfortable cans for me in terms of weight. And its for the same reason I haven't looked into the ZMF Dynamics and would not buy an Audeze, as my headphone weight threshold seems to be around 350g.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #10,004 of 39,414
I’ve never tried your particular ZMFs but if cost is no object I have a hard time convincing myself that they get you closer to the music than either Abysses, Utopias or top offerings by the the usual suspects. Guess I just need to get my head under a pair don't I! : )

I need a gym iem so very interesting!

The Utopia to me isn’t finally accurate. Same for both of the Abysses. Tone is so important to me. That’s just me. The Auteurs are much more comfy. Btw the bocote I have are the ones that are the best sounding. The black woods are also very nice.

It probably was the MX4, as the 4Z just came out. I never compared the 4Z to the 4. But from what I gather, it looks like the 2 cans sound a little different. But regardless, 4Z or a 4 would be a nice addition to your stable. :D

He he he. The devil is more of an angel in disguise man. If I were being a true devil, I'd ask you to get a MrSpeakers Voce with a BHSE amp. :D

Hi bud. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the AFC. Its definitely on my must-try list, if I make it to any of the upcoming Canjams. The reason I went with the AFO was, I wanted something that is quite forgiving of mediocre quality tracks and AFO is wonderfully forgiving.

Hi Pete. I have tried a couple of the Ori's and I liked one of them, but forgot which wood though. But unfortunately, they are not comfortable cans for me in terms of weight. And its for the same reason I haven't looked into the ZMF Dynamics and would not buy an Audeze, as my headphone weight threshold seems to be around 350g.

Please read my post above this. I find these a bit more balanced and that makes it a bit lighter, but I do agree with you and the weight. They are just beautiful

May 22, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #10,005 of 39,414
The Utopia to me isn’t finally accurate. Same for both of the Abysses. Tone is so important to me. That’s just me. The Auteurs are much more comfy. Btw the bocote I have are the ones that are the best sounding. The black woods are also very nice.

Please read my post above this. I find these a bit more balanced and that makes it a bit lighter, but I do agree with you and the weight. They are just beautiful

I am finding the Tia Trio very tonally accurate, as per a live performance where the sound is slightly warm. It's very transparent, have you heard it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back