flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 21, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #9,976 of 39,414
I agree on your take. My take is generally to compare to the best value (in my opinion) around the same price range. For instance, I own the Nerva X (which I did not pay full price for). At 2.7k$, it performs more or less other TOTLs around 1.5-2k, so at 2.7k the value is bad, unless you like silver IEMs. On the other hand, the IE800s, which costs 999$ (I got a discount too), performs, in my opinion, as well as dynamics up to 2k$, so the value is good.

From what I understand from your feedback, value is certainly better than Fourte or Legend X...

Fourte i have not listened to, LX's pricing "makes sense" within the internal logic of EE's pricing inasmuch that it is the culmination of all the positive aspects of its hybrid range, while being more compatible across genres (bravado shares that with LX, but vantage and nemesis are more extreme in their personality and more divisive)

i would think that on sound alone, LX is on par with other flagships including zeus and phantom, for good or for ill, the bass is simply unreal and exquisitely detailed and tight yet concussive, it is like the bass of some of the finest subwoofers in 2ch audio but turned up a click or two too high. here's to hoping for a legend IX or a phantom +1...

May 22, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #9,977 of 39,414
just auditioned a left field upgrade for those who loves the bravado but wishes more refinement, microdetails - the fender fxa-11, i found that it is less dark than the vantage and less thin in the lower mids against the nemesis. It is closer to a souped up bravado tonally than the rest of the EE hybrid line up in terms of tonality. the fit and build is lovely, and unlike the rest of the fender range, it uses 2 pin connectors. Instead of the double DD, it uses one of the bigger DD driver around @ 14mm, something that needs adequte power to whip it into shape. zx300, balanced with high gain works well enough. SE via alo national with medium gain also worked very nicely.

tldr, a must listen if you like the Bravado but wants more refinement and detailing, yet retaining a generally relaxed presentation.

Nice find! I wonder whether or not it'll be a part of their new custom line-up.

Aeon Flow Open.. It’s like a warm blanket on a cold night. The name says Open, but it’s more of a Semi-Open headphone. A warm, woolly bass, supplemented by a linear, soothing treble, bridged by a romantic mid-range that, make you fall in love with your music all over again. Okayish technicalities in terms of soundstage, imaging, separation, layering, resolution and transparency. But the coherency and focus is top notch. The timbral resolution may be average, but the timbral tone is very pleasing and almost accurate. All that in a light weight package at just 330g or .6 lbs. This one’s a keeper.

Now, the LCD-2C... I’d be in trouble if I called it a keeper, as it is a loaner. Very good technicalities and performance for its price. An epitome of balance between tonality and technicality. While it may not have the same linear treble of the AFO, it impresses with its very clean bass and a comforting mid-range. The 2C is one of those headphones that may be a little difficult to describe because it doesn’t have a very strong character, in a good sense. In it’s all-black and wrought-iron rugged look, it looks spectacular and badass. If Batman wanted a black headphone, this would be the one.

Just when I was starting to consider a 2C to pair with my Aeon Flow Open's... :p Thanks for the impressions, man, I completely agree with the top half and my wallet will be in trouble if I ever find myself agreeing to the bottom one. :D Regardless, I'll definitely give the 2C's a shot sometime in the future, if only just to make the joke that my impressions of the 2C are just... my two C(ents)... *puts on sunglasses* EEYEEAAAHHHH!! *guitar riff starts playing in the background*

May 22, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #9,978 of 39,414
Aeon Flow Open.. It’s like a warm blanket on a cold night. The name says Open, but it’s more of a Semi-Open headphone. A warm, woolly bass, supplemented by a linear, soothing treble, bridged by a romantic mid-range that, make you fall in love with your music all over again. Okayish technicalities in terms of soundstage, imaging, separation, layering, resolution and transparency. But the coherency and focus is top notch. The timbral resolution may be average, but the timbral tone is very pleasing and almost accurate. All that in a light weight package at just 330g or .6 lbs. This one’s a keeper.

Now, the LCD-2C... I’d be in trouble if I called it a keeper, as it is a loaner. Very good technicalities and performance for its price. An epitome of balance between tonality and technicality. While it may not have the same linear treble of the AFO, it impresses with its very clean bass and a comforting mid-range. The 2C is one of those headphones that may be a little difficult to describe because it doesn’t have a very strong character. I mean in a good way. In it’s all-black and wrought-iron rugged look, it looks spectacular and badass. If Batman wanted a black headphone, this would be the one.

Oh no... And there I was sitting safely in the back seat for a bit ...avoiding temptation ...and then you had to bring up the 2C.
471427ccc7ad69cf06feb48b708a0093.gif

..and Unique Melody just posted a first teaser of the 3DD-Ti...
10117062_thumb.jpg

May 22, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #9,979 of 39,414
Just when I was starting to consider a 2C to pair with my Aeon Flow Open's... :p Thanks for the impressions, man, I completely agree with the top half and my wallet will be in trouble if I ever find myself agreeing to the bottom one. :D Regardless, I'll definitely give the 2C's a shot sometime in the future, if only just to make the joke that my impressions of the 2C are just... my two C(ents)... *puts on sunglasses* EEYEEAAAHHHH!! *guitar riff starts playing in the background*

D, you should forget the 2C and start saving up for the LCD-4Z. 4Z is basically an easy to drive LCD-4 and sounds spectacular. 2C is not radically different from the AFO to warrant owning both. The 4Z OTOH is a TOTL with admirable qualities. I’d really recommend saving up for a 4Z or a Utopia. You could pick up a used Utopia, in Like-New condition for a good price these days. You’d probably have to wait a little for 4Z’s price to drop though, as it just hit the market.

Oh no... And there I was sitting safely in the back seat for a bit ...avoiding temptation ...and then you had to bring up the 2C.
471427ccc7ad69cf06feb48b708a0093.gif

..and Unique Melody just posted a first teaser of the 3DD-Ti...
10117062_thumb.jpg

E, you should get a pair of AFO or the LCD-2C and call it quits. Ok, may be not, as we will miss you, if you are not around. But still, you need to at least try the AFO, as I feel it’d be right up your alley.

May 22, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #9,980 of 39,414
D, you should forget the 2C and start saving up for the LCD-4Z. 4Z is basically an easy to drive LCD-4 and sounds spectacular. 2C is not radically different from the AFO to warrant owning both. The 4Z OTOH is a TOTL with admirable qualities. I’d really recommend saving up for a 4Z or a Utopia. You could pick up a used Utopia, in Like-New condition for a good price these days. You’d probably have to wait a little for 4Z’s price to drop though, as it just hit the market.

E, you should get a pair of AFO or the LCD-2C and call it quits. Ok, may be not, as we will miss you, if you are not around. But still, you need to at least try the AFO, as I feel it’d be right up your alley.

Yes! I tried the 4Z quite a while ago, but I was fortunately capable of resisting the temptation until I eventually forgot about it... Thanks for reminding me. :D For studio applications, the 4Z is something I've been eyeing for a while. I'll think about it... :wink:

I completely agree, though. If @Wyville is still looking for a semi-open headphone for casual use, the AFO is the perfect all-rounder (value, comfort and drivability included).

May 22, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #9,981 of 39,414
I can just see the little devil horns all over that post (and Daniel's)! :D

I did try to demo the AFO last year when I saw them at the Chord Company booth, but ironically the guy could not get the cables connected up properly for me to have a listen. (Never hire students to do show floor demos, they're only interested in the free grub.) Still, because I sat there for 10 minutes or so waiting for him to ultimately fail to provide a sound, I did get a good "feel" for the AFO and have to say they were very comfortable. :p

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #9,982 of 39,414

I did try to demo the AFO last year when I saw them at the Chord Company booth, but ironically the guy could not get the cables connected up properly for me to have a listen. (Never hire students to do show floor demos, they're only interested in the free grub.) Still, because I sat there for 10 minutes or so waiting for him to ultimately fail to provide a sound, I did get a good "feel" for the AFO and have to say they were very comfortable. :p
Ouchie. I was at a show helping with demos and I am pretty sure I could attach cables and answer at least 90% of qns. I guess u could say I'm a "superfan" of that brand tho

May 22, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #9,983 of 39,414
Ouchie. I was at a show helping with demos and I am pretty sure I could attach cables and answer at least 90% of qns. I guess u could say I'm a "superfan" of that brand tho
Perhaps the guy was just having "one of those days". :wink:

May 22, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #9,984 of 39,414
...I was once a treble guy that always love extreme detail like the HD800...
You're sonic preference and gear choice mimic mine, and on paper, I shouldn't love my Phantoms as much as I do. Strange to think, considering what we heard from them, but no longer can these once TOTL headphones be considered the upper echelon of resolution retrieval with the likes of Utopias and Abysses now reigning supreme. Did you happen to get a chance to try the AFC? It seems the design of the cup/driver combo was better suited to be the closed variety. I'm an "open only" kinda headphone guy and the AFC were not only the first sealed can I liked but it was also the first time I preferred the closed sibling. You still did good to pickup the opens! You're not slumming it!

Now, the LCD-2C... I’d be in trouble if I called it a keeper, as it is a loaner. Very good technicalities and performance for its price. An epitome of balance between tonality and technicality. While it may not have the same linear treble of the AFO, it impresses with its very clean bass and a comforting mid-range. The 2C is one of those headphones that may be a little difficult to describe because it doesn’t have a very strong character. I mean in a good way. In it’s all-black and wrought-iron rugged look, it looks spectacular and badass. If Batman wanted a black headphone, this would be the one.
Same question : ) AFC audition?

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #9,985 of 39,414

It must've been on the amp/source side of things. I can't imagine someone mucking up the Aeon Flow's cable system - it's the most simple and convenient one there is! :D That said, you'd be surprised at how many people don't know the difference between Optical Out, Line Out, Phone Out, etc. I've had my fair share of Dude, please just let me do it's. :p

You're sonic preference and gear choice mimic mine, and on paper, I shouldn't love my Phantoms as much as I do. Strange to think considering what we heard from them, but no longer can these once TOTL headphones be considered the upper echelon of resolution retrieval with the likes of Utopias and Abysses now reigning supreme. Did you happen to get a chance to try the AFC? It seems the design of the cup/driver combo was better suited to be the closed variety. I'm an "open only" kinda headphone guy and the AFC were not only the first sealed can I liked but it was also the first time I preferred the closed variant to the open. You still did good to pickup the opens! you're not slumming it!

Same question : ) AFC audition?

To my tastes, I found the closed version rather thin-sounding. I don't remember it being overtly bright per se, but I do remember a bit of an mid/upper-bass attenuation that made notes sound feather-like and almost brittle. I much prefer the Open's more natural, hefty and warm approach, but I can definitely see people appreciating one over the other.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #9,986 of 39,414
Yes! I tried the 4Z quite a while ago, but I was fortunately capable of resisting the temptation until I eventually forgot about it... Thanks for reminding me. :D For studio applications, the 4Z is something I've been eyeing for a while. I'll think about it... :wink:

I completely agree, though. If @Wyville is still looking for a semi-open headphone for casual use, the AFO is the perfect all-rounder (value, comfort and drivability included).
If the 4Z sounds identical to the 4 then I'm thinking your mixes will be off until you get used to their relaxed upper-mids and treble. Maybe it's just me but I've always found their upper-half shelved. Less so with LCD-4, but their house sound still prevailed. Mind you this didn't stop me from owing a couple of their offerings over the years.....once you get a taste for that bass I tells ya. Looking forward to trying the 4Z out when we finally get some here in Canada.

May 22, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #9,987 of 39,414
If the 4Z sounds identical to the 4 then I'm thinking your mixes will be off until you get used to their relaxed upper-mids and treble. Maybe it's just me but I've always found their upper-half shelved. Less so with LCD-4, but their house sound still prevailed. Mind you this didn't stop me from owing a couple of their offerings over the years.....once you get a taste for that bass I tells ya. Looking forward to trying the 4Z out when we finally get some here in Canada.

I actually remember the 4Z (or was it the MX-4? I'm having trouble recalling) having more upper-midrange presence than the LCD-4. I remember the LCD-4 having a decent 5kHz dip, but I still found it relatively balanced and well-suited to my sensibilities. For reference, I usually mix with monitors that are more neutral-natural - especially in the bass. That way, I can craft a mix that sounds pleasing to me, then cross-check with headphones/IEMs of all kinds. I mainly use my HD800S and my Ocharaku IEMs for sibilance torture tests and to confirm edits; cuts, fades, etc. Again, I'll definitely give it another go some time in the future.

May 22, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #9,988 of 39,414
I actually remember the 4Z (or was it the MX-4? I'm having trouble recalling) having more upper-midrange presence than the LCD-4. I remember the LCD-4 having a decent 5kHz dip, but I still found it relatively balanced and well-suited to my sensibilities. For reference, I usually mix with monitors that are more neutral-natural - especially in the bass. That way, I can craft a mix that sounds pleasing to me, then cross-check with headphones/IEMs of all kinds. I mainly use my HD800S and my Ocharaku IEMs for sibilance torture tests and to confirm edits; cuts, fades, etc. Again, I'll definitely give it another go some time in the future.
Yep, it was just me : ) Oh I should've mentioned I was coming off a steady diet of HD800 at the time. That's my "excuse" pfft

May 22, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #9,989 of 39,414
Yep, it was just me : ) Oh I should've mentioned I was coming off a steady diet of HD800 at the time. That's my "excuse" pfft

Well, it's just a matter of opinion/preference. :D I always find myself adding too much bass when mixing solely on cans like the HD800S, so I've adjusted my inventory to mend that.

May 22, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #9,990 of 39,414
To my tastes, I found the closed version rather thin-sounding. I don't remember it being overtly bright per se, but I do remember a bit of an mid/upper-bass attenuation that made notes sound feather-like and almost brittle. I much prefer the Open's more natural, hefty and warm approach, but I can definitely see people appreciating one over the other.
I hear ya. Seems I err on the thinner side while you like a little more heft. No one would tell either of us we're wrong.
Well, except when it comes down to analyzing portable audio. That's where you're definitely right :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back