flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 22, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #7,306 of 39,414
Resolution and naturalness are what i am looking for. I would like the singer in the foreground and having the spot on him so to speak. The band should support him and not take the lead. Its difficult to describe cause my english is so limited. From your description i understood AV2 and Prelude are more the direction than FIBAE 3 and VE5.

maybe you can audition UERR and the 18+ for this:ksc75smile:

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #7,307 of 39,414
I recognized the difference in price. Thats why i gravitate to the AV2 but all the nice words about Prelude... :wink:

...and not only nice words :grin:
20180122_111352.jpg

I got mine some days ago, and it was like welcoming a good old friend again (because I had it on a loan for some weeks, some time ago).

When I had ordered it and listened with some other exceptional good iems in the meantime, some doubt crawled up in my mind. Did I make the right decision choosing the Prelude? Luckily I can say now that that doubt was totally unnecessary and I'm enjoying it to the fullest atm. Unfortunatelly (in a good way) I couldn't spend that much listening time with it this weekend, as I also got a very interesting loaner for a few days, that has to be returned soon. When that one is gone, the Prelude will surely get lots of attention again :ksc75smile: I like it so much that I might even write a review (which I haven't done for years) on it in the near future :thinking:

Btw, I haven't heard the AV2 myself, so can't advise you on that like @Deezel177. It seems that you can't go wrong with either one (or both :wink:) of them though.

Good luck with making your decision!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #7,309 of 39,414
Very appreciated :clap:

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #7,311 of 39,414
Cross post but... Just wanted to say that i enjoyed work a little more than usuall today.
photo_2018-01-22_16-40-25.jpg photo_2018-01-22_16-40-21 (2).jpg

Jan 22, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #7,313 of 39,414
Very appreciated :clap:

I'm comparing the AV2 to the Prelude at the moment, and they have several key differences. The most immediate discrepancy is the upper-midrange and treble. The AV2 sounds like it has its dip in the lower-treble; around 8-10 kHz. The Prelude places its dip closer to the 5 kHz range. This means the Prelude has superior articulation, while the AV2 has the smoother and more rounded signature. The former performs better in terms of clarity (especially when it comes to female vocals and snare drums), while the latter blends the leading edge of notes with overtones to create a sense of fullness in the stage. The AV2 lifts its upper-treble for transparency - adding air and clarity to the stage - but instruments still have this lack of bite that may take time to adjust to. The Prelude also doesn't have as much of a lower-midrange lift as the AV2 does, meaning its notes aren't as full, though they are better resolved and similarly bodied. The AV2 is also much more centrally-focused - lacking the Prelude's width - and thus sounds less laid-back. The AV2 has more sub-bass than the Prelude does, but the Prelude's low-end has infinitely better tone and PRaT. Overall, both have similar forwardness and body when it comes to vocals, but the Prelude is the better performer when it comes to the elements surrounding the vocals. If your ultimate priority is vocals, the AV2 will suffice (especially for the price). But, if you can spend more for the Prelude, it'll reward you with a much wider stage, a more natural bass, and a more agreeable vocal-to-top-end tone.

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #7,314 of 39,414
I'm comparing the AV2 to the Prelude at the moment, and they have several key differences. The most immediate discrepancy is the upper-midrange and treble. The AV2 sounds like it has its dip in the lower-treble; around 8-10 kHz. The Prelude places its dip closer to the 5 kHz range. This means the Prelude has superior articulation, while the AV2 has the smoother and more rounded signature. The former performs better in terms of clarity (especially when it comes to female vocals and snare drums), while the latter blends the leading edge of notes with overtones to create a sense of fullness in the stage. The AV2 lifts its upper-treble for transparency - adding air and clarity to the stage - but instruments still have this lack of bite that may take time to adjust to. The Prelude also doesn't have as much of a lower-midrange lift as the AV2 does, meaning its notes aren't as full, though they are better resolved and similarly bodied. The AV2 is also much more centrally-focused - lacking the Prelude's width - and thus sounds less laid-back. The AV2 has more sub-bass than the Prelude does, but the Prelude's low-end has infinitely better tone and PRaT. Overall, both have similar forwardness and body when it comes to vocals, but the Prelude is the better performer when it comes to the elements surrounding the vocals. If your ultimate priority is vocals, the AV2 will suffice (especially for the price). But, if you can spend more for the Prelude, it'll reward you with a much wider stage, a more natural bass, and a more agreeable vocal-to-top-end tone.
Wow...that's a serious comparison...thanks very much. That kind of post makes me want the prelude :darthsmile:

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #7,315 of 39,414
Cross post but... Just wanted to say that i enjoyed work a little more than usuall today.
Some nice pics! I totally loved the VE8 when I had it on a loan recently. One of the best overall sounding (all-rounder) monitors I've heard so far. I can only (try to) imagine how good it must sound from a wonderful source (WM1Z) like that :thinking:

Wow...that's a serious comparison...thanks very much. That kind of post makes me want the prelude :darthsmile:
Let's also not forget that the Prelude made it to the #4 spot in this totl shootout. With such, seriously good performing, competitors that was quite an accomplishment imo :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #7,316 of 39,414
...and not only nice words :grin:

I got mine some days ago, and it was like welcoming a good old friend again (because I had it on a loan for some weeks, some time ago).

When I had ordered it and listened with some other exceptional good iems in the meantime, some doubt crawled up in my mind. Did I make the right decision choosing the Prelude? Luckily I can say now that that doubt was totally unnecessary and I'm enjoying it to the fullest atm. Unfortunatelly (in a good way) I couldn't spend that much listening time with it this weekend, as I also got a very interesting loaner for a few days, that has to be returned soon. When that one is gone, the Prelude will surely get lots of attention again :ksc75smile: I like it so much that I might even write a review (which I haven't done for years) on it in the near future :thinking:

Btw, I haven't heard the AV2 myself, so can't advise you on that like @Deezel177. It seems that you can't go wrong with either one (or both :wink:) of them though.

Good luck with making your decision!
Great to see you received your Prelude and they turned out really nice, such a gorgeous colour! When the parcel came you must have been like...
"They're here?"
"Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!"
:D
nnZfXlz.gif

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #7,317 of 39,414
Great to see you received your Prelude and they turned out really nice, such a gorgeous colour! When the parcel came you must have been like...
"They're here?"
"Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!"
:D
nnZfXlz.gif
Yep...still rolling over the carpet here, while I'm listening atm :grin:

Regarding the colours/design: when I noticed the Prelude picture from @hamhamhamsta in the Warbler thread, I was immediately sold on it.
I asked him (pm) if he would mind if I should order the same design later on, and I was a bit scared that he would ask for...
giphy.gif

...but luckily he didn't mind at all.

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #7,318 of 39,414
Yep...still rolling over the carpet here, while I'm listening atm :grin:

Regarding the colours/design: when I noticed the Prelude picture from @hamhamhamsta in the Warbler thread, I was immediately sold on it.
I asked him (pm) if he would mind if I should order the same design later on, and I was a bit scared that he would ask for...
giphy.gif

...but luckily he didn't mind at all.

I'll collect on his behalf. :D

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #7,319 of 39,414
I'll collect on his behalf. :D
Sorry man, can't do that, as I will need them dollars for my next ciem target. But....

...this morning I found about one million fleas on my kids heads => how about when I send these to you instead?
That way you could start your own flea circus and get rich as well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #7,320 of 39,414
Sorry man, can't do that, as I will need them dollars for my next ciem target. But....

...this morning I found about one million fleas on my kids heads => how about when I send these to you instead?
That way you could start your own flea circus and get rich as well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
giphy.gif

I million fleas for Pinky's 5000th post? It's a deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back