flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 21, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #7,295 of 39,414
Jan 22, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #7,296 of 39,414
Some news from Hidition :
  1. They will update their page this month with two new models : NT8 and Waltz
  2. NT8 is quite self explanatory
  3. Waltz is a 3BA (universal if I understand well) : all of their models are available as universals so not sure what the difference is

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #7,297 of 39,414

Awesome find, Mim! Through the Chord Mojo and the Custom Art FIBAE 3, I was able to get 4/6 correct. I messed up the first one - maybe 'cus I didn't know what details to look for yet - and the last one, because of what @ezekiel77 experienced. I made sure to load all the files first without looking and on mute to avoid bias because of buffering speeds, but on the last one, I accidentally saw that Track 3 loaded the longest. I was torn between 1 and 3 and that bias pulled my towards 3 - which was incorrect; 1 was the correct answer - but I reckon I did a decent job nonetheless. :wink:

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #7,298 of 39,414
Awesome find, Mim! Through the Chord Mojo and the Custom Art FIBAE 3, I was able to get 4/6 correct. I messed up the first one - maybe 'cus I didn't know what details to look for yet - and the last one, because of what @ezekiel77 experienced. I made sure to load all the files first without looking and on mute to avoid bias because of buffering speeds, but on the last one, I accidentally saw that Track 3 loaded the longest. I was torn between 1 and 3 and that bias pulled my towards 3 - which was incorrect; 1 was the correct answer - but I reckon I did a decent job nonetheless. :wink:
I got only 2, and the rest often chose the worst one ! What kind of cues did you look for? I was trying to listen for lack of extension but didn't notice any.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #7,299 of 39,414
I got only 2, and the rest often chose the worst one ! What kind of cues did you look for? I was trying to listen for lack of extension but didn't notice any.

There were different tells for each song, but for the pop ones, I found there were micro-details (mostly background echoes in the high frequencies from cymbals and hi-hat-like effects) that were more audible in the uncompressed WAV files. The Jay-Z one in particular has vocal echoes towards the end and the WAV file had the clearest and loudest echoes. For the symphony ones, bass impact and texture were harder and clearer - respectively - on the WAV file; percussion and horns strike with more power and dynamic energy. The acapella track was actually the easiest one to spot. The compressed MP3 files had a roughness to the singer's voice akin to an upper-mid peak in IEMs. I compress female vocals a lot, so that clipping-like lack of headroom was instantly obvious to me.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #7,300 of 39,414
On another topic, i like to add a ciem especially for vocal music and have a hard time to decide. Got the FIBAE 2 and am quite happy. Avara AV2 or FIBAE 3 are on the list and the Warbler Prelude a really tempting.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #7,301 of 39,414
There were different tells for each song, but for the pop ones, I found there were micro-details (mostly background echoes in the high frequencies from cymbals and hi-hat-like effects) that were more audible in the uncompressed WAV files. The Jay-Z one in particular has vocal echoes towards the end and the WAV file had the clearest and loudest echoes. For the symphony ones, bass impact and texture were harder and clearer - respectively - on the WAV file; percussion and horns strike with more power and dynamic energy. The acapella track was actually the easiest one to spot. The compressed MP3 files had a roughness to the singer's voice akin to an upper-mid peak in IEMs. I compress female vocals a lot, so that clipping-like lack of headroom was instantly obvious to me.
giphy.gif

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #7,302 of 39,414
On another topic, i like to add a ciem especially for vocal music and have a hard time to decide. Got the FIBAE 2 and am quite happy. Avara AV2 or FIBAE 3 are on the list and the Warbler Prelude a really tempting.

It really depends on what you're looking for from your vocals. If clarity and detail are what you're looking for and you don't mind a brighter presentation, then the FIBAE 3 or the VE5 would be up your alley. The AV2 has a similarly intimate presentation, but its upper-midrange dip means it has a more natural tone at the cost of ultimate clarity. The Prelude has a thick, bold presentation paired with a superbly black background; resulting in an immensely natural, laid-back and easygoing sound. Its okay treble extension does limit its clarity, but resolution and organicity heavily aid its transparency.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #7,303 of 39,414
Resolution and naturalness are what i am looking for. I would like the singer in the foreground and having the spot on him so to speak. The band should support him and not take the lead. Its difficult to describe cause my english is so limited. From your description i understood AV2 and Prelude are more the direction than FIBAE 3 and VE5.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #7,304 of 39,414
Resolution and naturalness are what i am looking for. I would like the singer in the foreground and having the spot on him so to speak. The band should support him and not take the lead. Its difficult to describe cause my english is so limited. From your description i understood AV2 and Prelude are more the direction than FIBAE 3 and VE5.

Yes, the AV2 and the Prelude would be best I reckon. The Prelude has better technical performance despite the slight veil due to treble roll-off, but the AV2 is the more in-your-face presentation, so it's a toss-up. Keep in mind the price difference as well; the Prelude is much pricier than the AV2.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #7,305 of 39,414
I recognized the difference in price. Thats why i gravitate to the AV2 but all the nice words about Prelude... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back