flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 22, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #4,756 of 39,414
A landmark post! Congratulations!
My assistant is getting some grub to celebrate...
552238f22eb50df8cbe7ef8909be69d9.gif

Things are really getting exciting! First Horus, now this... :hushed:

Funny thing is, I'm not 100% sure LE's new CIEM will even cost as much as the Horus :D

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #4,757 of 39,414
I can't imagine it will sound better than the aether. I'm still searching an IEM which is more fun to listen to than the Aether..

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #4,758 of 39,414
For those who may have missed it, here are my impressions of Lime Ears's Prototype X from my CanJam SG 2017 IEM round-up:

2) Lime Ears Prototype X

The LEPX was stationed right next to the FIBAE 2 and I'd be lying if I said it didn't blow my socks off just as much. It's no secret that the Lime Ears Aether is one of my absolute favourite IEMs, and the LEPX takes what I love about the Aether, and steps it up a notch (speaking of notches, it has two on each faceplate to control the treble and mid-bass/bass response individually). With the treble switch up, the LEPX shares a similar signature to the Aether, but with a sparklier and airier top end and a more open and engaging midrange, which are the two most-requested improvements of the Aether, as well as my only qualms about the IEM. The bass also sounded slightly retuned; while the Aether had more punch/slam than rumble, those proportions on the LEPX sounded more balanced, though I didn't have enough time to confirm. With both switches up, the mids are pushed even further forward and the bass is elevated, sort of like a Zeus-R-to-Zeus-XIV shift in tonality, boosting musicality, emotion, and engagement. With the treble switch down, however, the IEM suddenly sounded extremely dark and full. It wasn't veiled because the mids still retained its layering and clarity, but the missing air in the top end made it sound incredibly coloured. It ended up sounding extremely euphonic and rich, and though I know folks who would enjoy the signature (and I myself found it unique and definitely worth some play-time), many did not share the same consensus as they felt it lost quite a bit of technical performance. Nevertheless, if Emil offered me an upgrade to the LEPX from the Aether, I wouldn't hesitate in placing the order right away.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #4,761 of 39,414
Oh my, notches again...I really dislike these tunable models.

Isn’t it good to have a bit of flexibility to tune the sound?

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #4,762 of 39,414
Sep 23, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #4,763 of 39,414
Sep 23, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #4,764 of 39,414
Isn’t it good to have a bit of flexibility to tune the sound?
I like a manufacturer who says : this is good sound for us, how do you like it? A CIEM is a sort of work of art, you don't see Dali asking if you want the piano headed tiger or not in your painting or prefer a giraffe.

But hey it's not a judgment, just my personal taste.

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #4,766 of 39,414
Sep 23, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #4,767 of 39,414
Pinky's own collection is growing quite nicely

Clearly Nic is the one to beat. A truly impossible goal... especially if I keep selling off my collection, like Solar and U12.

btw, U12 still up for sale. :)

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #4,768 of 39,414
Clearly Nic is the one to beat. A truly impossible goal... especially if I keep selling off my collection, like Solar and U12.

btw, U12 still up for sale. :)
Agreed...... I made that comment and then I went back and looked at my own profile and was kind of amazed at some of the stuff I've had and cast to the side.

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #4,769 of 39,414
I like a manufacturer who says : this is good sound for us, how do you like it? A CIEM is a sort of work of art, you don't see Dali asking if you want the piano headed tiger or not in your painting or prefer a giraffe.

But hey it's not a judgment, just my personal taste.

Actually you’re quite right. But I guess it’s down to each person’s preference. Btw I prefer Picasso over Dali though :grin:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #4,770 of 39,414
Agreed...... I made that comment and then I went back and looked at my own profile and was kind of amazed at some of the stuff I've had and cast to the side.
I always thought that Nic would have like, a massive sale to get rid of his not-so-favourite CIEMs once he's done, except the review samples. Realistically, I don't like to do too many shootouts or a/bs bcos I often end up selling the loser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back