flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 21, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #37,846 of 39,414
Jan 21, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #37,847 of 39,414
I think the Indigo is pushing the boundaries of what is possible in imaging. And that is very interesting. They also are doing a great job with design. I love the Indigo and Red Halo FE.

Interestingly, Apple is innovating in imaging as well with Spatial Audio. For movies, it is fantastic and absolutely out of the head.

Edited to note: UM is also innovating in frivolous law suits.
To be honest I’m actually kind of excited to see what direction Apple will go with the next set of AirPods Pro. Even if they jack prices up, I’d imagine that they would up the sound quality well beyond their cost.

And as much as I’d like to try a bone conduction IEM, I strongly dislike UM and how they are operating. I wouldn’t buy their wares if they were doing a going out of business fire sale.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #37,848 of 39,414
Looks like Campfire got upset some of their newest releases didn’t get fake praise 😂

C2F18AF4-0030-4C1F-8456-F6E4B0215F73.jpeg

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #37,849 of 39,414
Jan 21, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #37,851 of 39,414
Looks like Campfire got upset some of their newest releases didn’t get fake praise 😂

C2F18AF4-0030-4C1F-8456-F6E4B0215F73.jpeg

I'm sure there are two sides to this story.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #37,853 of 39,414
Jan 21, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #37,854 of 39,414
Haha my little strategy makes perfect sense to me right now, and I can go between all 3 CIEMs and enjoy them equally which is good. But there’s definitely a small brain burn in period between the Annihilator and XE6. Probably takes me about 30 seconds to adjust because I hear them as polar opposites. But to my ears and what I expect from my IEMs they both do their intended sound signatures very well.
It’s interesting that you’ve chosen the XE6 as your bass IEM, it doesn’t come across as one in clique with the likes of LX, EVO, EXT… But nevertheless, I’ll have to give it a listen to hopefully get it. The thick-ish sound signature doesn’t sit as well though; I’ve recently grown rather weary of these thick sounding IEMS and have found the leaner, clearer and more reference-like sound more appealing, especially for extended listening.
Island to me is an incredible test track for myself. I know it better than any song, and I’ve heard it across more gear than anything else. I can listen to it once on a brand new IEM and tell by the end of the song it the IEM is for me or not. For what I value it exposes bass quality and quantity, potential upper mid range hotness harshness or shoutiness, as well as treble compression.

The Jewel to me was a perfect example where that track exposed treble compression, it lacks the resolving ability in the highs in terms of both FR and the ability of the IEM to make the distinct sounds in the upper registers sound clean and separated. IEMs that take the highs of Island and make it sound like a blob of static do not impress me in treble. I have zero issues with any of my 3 CIEMs in that track.. they all passed the Island test as well as many others 😎
As a matter of fact, the Annihilator was the first IEM I felt Island sounded decent on, others including the Traillii were at best umm… borderline sonically humane? Haha! I did not listen to Island with Jewel but will certainly play it on the Fitear DC Ti when I test it early next week.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #37,855 of 39,414
I could barely stomach paying $100 extra for the pearl faceplates on my A12t haha.
You and me both, even with the discount I went "Ehhhhh"

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #37,856 of 39,414
It’s interesting that you’ve chosen the XE6 as your bass IEM, it doesn’t come across as one in clique with the likes of LX, EVO, EXT… But nevertheless, I’ll have to give it a listen to hopefully get it. The thick-ish sound signature doesn’t sit as well though; I’ve recently grown rather weary of these thick sounding IEMS and have found the leaner, clearer and more reference-like sound more appealing, especially for extended listening.

As a matter of fact, the Annihilator was the first IEM I felt Island sounded decent on, others including the Traillii were at best umm… borderline sonically humane? Haha! I did not listen to Island with Jewel but will certainly play it on the Fitear DC Ti when I test it early next week.

I really like the bass. It sounds big but it doesn’t elevate over the mid range and the sub bass “feel” is awesome. It’s not a bass head IEM by my own standards but I can’t get enough of the way it does bass either.

Edit: I should elaborate, the bass is elevated over the mid range but the transition into the lower mids is very smooth as they are elevated also.

Yeah, the XE6 won’t be for everyone. I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone that wants a clarity and rather empathized upper mid range and treble response. That’s not what it’s about at all.

The Annihilator treble is awesome. It’s definitely not the most real sounding to me but it has zero issues with resolving tracks like Island and keeping it smooth at the same time. The Elysian IEMs definitely spoiled me for treble so I’m much pickier now there too with other gear as well. Thankfully I feel A12t and XE6 hold their own more than enough in that category also.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #37,857 of 39,414
I think the Indigo is pushing the boundaries of what is possible in imaging. And that is very interesting. They also are doing a great job with design. I love the Indigo and Red Halo FE.

Interestingly, Apple is innovating in imaging as well with Spatial Audio. For movies, it is fantastic and absolutely out of the head.
Totally agree, I love Dolby Atmos both on the AirPods Pro and Max it's amazing sometimes I also check if the sound comes from the home cinéma at night when you move around the appartment the image is so good....

To be honest I’m actually kind of excited to see what direction Apple will go with the next set of AirPods Pro. Even if they jack prices up, I’d imagine that they would up the sound quality well beyond their cost.
Well they better bring their A game for music, with the XM4 Sony just blew them away... and is going to be hard to beat... it really frequently surprises me how good they are

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #37,858 of 39,414
Tested with VE Phonix+Centurion. I think the M9 is a better match for the Phonix due to its musicality.
Did you notice any hissing on the Phonix when using the M9 ?

I get hissing when I listen to the Phonix with my R8 and so I’m starting to think about getting a new Dap. Incidentally I do not get any hissing when I listen to the Phonix with the S1 and so there must be some sensitivity with the R8 pairing.

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #37,859 of 39,414
Speaking of Limited editions and price inflations, there is also the Traillii Spring edition with a signature and serial number, a blueish? coloured faceplate and limited to 22 pieces.

Same price tho, so props to them.

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #37,860 of 39,414
Did you notice any hissing on the Phonix when using the M9 ?

I get hissing when I listen to the Phonix with my R8 and so I’m starting to think about getting a new Dap. Incidentally I do not get any hissing when I listen to the Phonix with the S1 and so there must be some sensitivity with the R8 pairing.

R8 also hisses like crazy with Erlkonig (Phonix is just as sensitive) if you’re using 4.4mm and turbo mode. M9 and Phonix has a very nice and dark background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back