flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 22, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #37,877 of 39,419
The one thing I’d really like to see Apple do is start supporting the nearly 2.5 year old LDAC for decent wireless listening 😇
They'll probably never do that since they'd have to use a Qualcomm chip, but I can see Apple developing their own 'lossless' BT format for ALAC. Problem is, I'm not sure there's enough demand from the Apple crowd for audiophile-grade wireless sound.

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #37,878 of 39,419
Did you notice any hissing on the Phonix when using the M9 ?

I get hissing when I listen to the Phonix with my R8 and so I’m starting to think about getting a new Dap. Incidentally I do not get any hissing when I listen to the Phonix with the S1 and so there must be some sensitivity with the R8 pairing.
The problem with this question is that the ability to pick up the hiss varies very strongly per person, I have found out. I was absolutely shocked by the hiss out of the R8 when I listened to it for the first time, but when I mentioned it (ok, complained about it...) in the R8 thread, I was met with disbelief because many folks apparently cannot pick up what I perceived as quite loud hiss. So you need to find someone who hears the R8 like you do and owns the M9. Better yet, hear it for yourself...😊

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #37,879 of 39,419
The problem with this question is that the ability to pick up the hiss varies very strongly per person, I have found out. I was absolutely shocked by the hiss out of the R8 when I listened to it for the first time, but when I mentioned it (ok, complained about it...) in the R8 thread, I was met with disbelief because many folks apparently cannot pick up what I perceived as quite loud hiss. So you need to find someone who hears the R8 like you do and owns the M9. Better yet, hear it for yourself...😊
Very true, and also important to stress the hiss is only audible with very sensitive IEMs, and generally disappears when music is playing even with sensitive IEMs.

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #37,880 of 39,419
Very true, and also important to stress the hiss is only audible with very sensitive IEMs, and generally disappears when music is playing even with sensitive IEMs.
Partly agree, with the bit that the problem usually disappears when the music starts playing. As long as the music is loud enough. The most annoying part of hiss is that it screws up the quiet parts of songs. And for me, the R8 produces noticeable hiss with all IEMs, not only sensitive ones..😊

Jan 22, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #37,881 of 39,419
Partly agree, with the bit that the problem usually disappears when the music starts playing. As long as the music is loud enough. The most annoying part of hiss is that it screws up the quiet parts of songs. And for me, the R8 produces noticeable hiss with all IEMs, not only sensitive ones..😊
Bat ears :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #37,882 of 39,419
Yes that's very true. Also some might mind it less and downplay the hissing issues.

For me the M9 is dead silent tho. I don't have an R8 for comparison, so YMMV.

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #37,883 of 39,419
Yes that's very true. Also some might mind it less and downplay the hissing issues.

For me the M9 is dead silent tho. I don't have an R8 for comparison, so YMMV.
I can't tolerate any sort of hiss. Even analogue recording hiss that I can't do anything about is awful. Thankfully I can't hear any with the R8 and my IEMs. Zero hiss is Shanling's superpower. Must be one of their foremost amp design goals. Without it I think their DAPs would be far less appealing.

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #37,884 of 39,419
I can't tolerate any sort of hiss. Even analogue recording hiss that I can't do anything about is awful. Thankfully I can't hear any with the R8 and my IEMs. Zero hiss is Shanling's superpower. Must be one of their foremost amp design goals. Without it I think their DAPs would be far less appealing.
Is that a fact? That's good to know, and makes the M9 more appealing for me.

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #37,886 of 39,419
Seems to be, given the M8 and M9 are the only two DAPs I know of that are pitch black even with Andromedas.
M8 hissed with Andromeda, albeit very mildly. M9 is dead silent.

Jan 22, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #37,887 of 39,419
I can see what you mean here.

All my other IEMs are fine with the R8. There was no hiss that I could detect at all and so up to now it’s not something I’ve experienced with the R8.

With the Phonix though it is quite detectable, and especially when you have quieter passages in songs. Initially I did wonder if it was the monitors themselves, but this proved not to be the case when I tried them through the Paw S1 and got a silent background.

I’ve been thinking about a new Dap anyway and I think the hiss issue with the Phonix has given more weight to this. I love the Phonix and I love the R8, but perhaps there’s only room in my life for one of them. 🥲

I would love to be able to try the M9, as of course this is the only way to know for sure, but short of a Canjam or a tour it’s difficult to do so.

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #37,888 of 39,419
Well look at what we have…
Already throwing in free stuff at launch?
Good luck selling your wares UM.

Usually limited edition stuff that’s priced so high relative to market value is purchased via invite, and not posted on storefront. You see this all the time with commissioned Ferraris, certain Rolexes, etc.

Attachments

• 888C4DA9-9225-4F0B-82EA-AF6D6A71A683.jpeg
    888C4DA9-9225-4F0B-82EA-AF6D6A71A683.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #37,890 of 39,419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back