flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 23, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #36,661 of 39,414
0B5989A9-661A-4797-8E5A-5D663FA7EE9C.jpeg

:)

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #36,662 of 39,414
Nov 23, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #36,663 of 39,414
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #36,664 of 39,414
Nov 24, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #36,665 of 39,414
Hey guys,

If any of you use HiBy R or RS-series DAPs that support HiBy's Convolution plugin, @Joe Bloggs (who wrote the plugin, and also MSEB) has offered to create free profiles for your IEMs or headphones to tweak their sound or eliminate minor issues using the plugin/DAP combo. He's posted details in a separate thread here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/offer-custom-tuning-for-your-earphones-on-supported-devices.960799/

I personally think it's a great service to the community, even though it's currently limited by the equipment supported.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #36,666 of 39,414
After a lot of trial and error I finally found great tips - Sedna Earfit crystal tips - for those with chunky IEMs (I have Thummim) and have had issues keeping them in their ears when out and about. I loved the sound of the spiral dot ++ I used to have, but they had issues of slipping out especially when going downhill on trails (as the bouncing would disrupt the seal I imagine). Initially I feared I might need a different IEM or cable (I also have 8 wire drjuggles creation that’s my fav) but after plopping down oodles of moolah for a new tube amp, I decided to be more judicious and just play around with tips. And I’m happy to report that despite going up and hills this morning, taking them out periodically to pat happy go lucky dogs on their head and chit chat and wish passers by a happy holiday, I had no issues with seal. Really tremendous! Glad I was able to burn a few calories this morning before obliterating my digestive tract with an avalanche of turkey and carbs. Happy thanksgiving to allF4A58D50-51FD-42AD-AA52-D6842C565829.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #36,667 of 39,414
After a lot of trial and error I finally found great tips - Sedna Earfit crystal tips - for those with chunky IEMs (I have Thummim) and have had issues keeping them in their ears when out and about. I loved the sound of the spiral dot ++ I used to have, but they had issues of slipping out especially when going downhill on trails (as the bouncing would disrupt the seal I imagine). Initially I feared I might need a different IEM or cable (I also have 8 wire drjuggles creation that’s my fav) but after plopping down oodles of moolah for a new tube amp, I decided to be more judicious and just play around with tips. And I’m happy to report that despite going up and hills this morning, taking them out periodically to pat happy go lucky dogs on their head and chit chat and wish passers by a happy holiday, I had no issues with seal. Really tremendous! Glad I was able to burn a few calories this morning before obliterating my digestive tract with an avalanche of turkey and carbs. Happy thanksgiving to all

Will take your word for it since since your hand with Thummim and eartips are out of focus :D But I LOVE the background view!!!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #36,668 of 39,414
After a lot of trial and error I finally found great tips - Sedna Earfit crystal tips - for those with chunky IEMs (I have Thummim) and have had issues keeping them in their ears when out and about. I loved the sound of the spiral dot ++ I used to have, but they had issues of slipping out especially when going downhill on trails (as the bouncing would disrupt the seal I imagine). Initially I feared I might need a different IEM or cable (I also have 8 wire drjuggles creation that’s my fav) but after plopping down oodles of moolah for a new tube amp, I decided to be more judicious and just play around with tips. And I’m happy to report that despite going up and hills this morning, taking them out periodically to pat happy go lucky dogs on their head and chit chat and wish passers by a happy holiday, I had no issues with seal. Really tremendous! Glad I was able to burn a few calories this morning before obliterating my digestive tract with an avalanche of turkey and carbs. Happy thanksgiving to allF4A58D50-51FD-42AD-AA52-D6842C565829.jpeg
What a gorgeous view. May I pls ask where this is? Thank you in advance

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #36,669 of 39,414
For those who are interested, I just posted my review of UM Mest Indigo IEMs (got it on loan from Musicteck). I didn't realize until today, this is not just a special edition of Mest with an updated design (new driver config, new shell finish and faceplate, new replaceable nozzle filter, new PWA premium cable, and updated tuning), but also a limited edition release. Andrew/MT just told me UM made only 200 pairs of these and will not make anymore.

um-mest-indigo-16.jpg

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #36,670 of 39,414
Cheers, bud. Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #36,671 of 39,414
What a gorgeous view. May I pls ask where this is? Thank you in advance
Sure it’s the Wiliwili Nui Ridge trail here in Hawaii. Its a ridge a bit past Diamond Head here in Honolulu. Great thing about being in Hawaii is that all the trails (and beaches for that matter) are free for everyone - and it’s rare on head-fi to mention that’s anything that’s free. Nice tall trees (even evergreens!) all around giving shade most of the way and at elevation there’s stiff breezes to cool you down. Lots of speaker folks spend time and energy with wall baffles and toe-in adjustments but the best listening room I’ve tried is right here:
7191B759-91B9-4EDA-A29E-A580CF21AA47.jpeg

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #36,672 of 39,414
Lots of speaker folks spend time and energy with wall baffles and toe-in adjustments but the best listening room I’ve tried is right here
This is perhaps my favorite quote for 2021. Gorgeous location and a great reminder of the benefits of mobile audio / IEMs.

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #36,673 of 39,414
This is perhaps my favorite quote for 2021. Gorgeous location and a great reminder of the benefits of mobile audio / IEMs.
Agree with the benefits, but personally, when in nature (which is rare for me) I prefer listening to nature.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #36,674 of 39,414
Sure it’s the Wiliwili Nui Ridge trail here in Hawaii. Its a ridge a bit past Diamond Head here in Honolulu. Great thing about being in Hawaii is that all the trails (and beaches for that matter) are free for everyone - and it’s rare on head-fi to mention that’s anything that’s free. Nice tall trees (even evergreens!) all around giving shade most of the way and at elevation there’s stiff breezes to cool you down. Lots of speaker folks spend time and energy with wall baffles and toe-in adjustments but the best listening room I’ve tried is right here:

haven't bought a (c)iem since 2017 , but this is the first pic in here, i can remember that i feel really jealous about

you are in paradise man , enjoy and cherish it

what a place to live , wow !!!!!!

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #36,675 of 39,414

Nice!

I also live a stone's throw from some epic and beautiful scenery-- I often need to pause and remind myself how fortunate I am.

My listening room:

MJQB1031.JPEG

IMG_0477.jpeg

VCMK3052.JPEG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back