flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 12, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #36,601 of 39,414
.Dark Sky & IE900 do share a similar sound, but I find the mids more forward on Dark Sky while mids on the IE900 are somewhat recessed. Dark Sky sounds more open & airier as well. Going from IE900 to Dark Sky it's almost as if a veil has been lifted. Bass on Dark Sky also seems to be more controlled while losing none of the impact, while bass on the IE900 to me sounds a little slower.

Every now and again I get super hyped about the IE900 then I read something like this and conclude it's probably not for me. Have you heard the Duo?

Nov 12, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #36,602 of 39,414
I own Traillii since 8 month, and can't find anything it does not excel over any other IEM. It's to date the best IEM on the market as to my humble judgement - and also one of the most expensive - maybe due to the cable.
I can only recommend for any purist of Hi-fi highest quality music listening to look at this IEM - i also was not sure if something so expensive can be "worth" it - now 8 month down the line - i can only repeat many times - YES, YES, YES - it is worth the money - the listening experience is just fantastic.
Enjoy it if you can.
Everyone has different preferences. To me, Legend EVO is number 1, Traillii is 2 and Odin is 3 overall. EVO and Odin have far superior bass quality. Odin is far better than Traillii for Piano. Traillii does good with fundamental tones, but for upper harmonics and treble air, it is weak. The same tuning that gives it non-fatiguing treble, blunts the upper harmonics. Every IEM makes trade offs in drivers, crossovers and tuning, therefore nothing can be the best at everything.

I should note that I have not yet heard EXT, Phonix, X or annihilator.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #36,603 of 39,414
Ordered one of these new MEST’s

C962D50C-4431-4CF0-8E89-B7A0378A7098.jpeg
Let’s see if it’s just an overpriced Mk2 or whether there’s any genuine sonic upgrades 🤞
I keep waffling on it. I love the faceplate. I am sure it will sound good.

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #36,604 of 39,414
You know this is not making my life any easier. Look at my signature damnit! 😝
Hey, I am DD guy too. Traillii doesn't have top 5 bass, but its bass isn't what makes it great. It does the big picture really well. It's a good thing that Legend EVO came out this year. Otherwise, this basshead would have to vote Traillii as IEM of the year with its BA bass and all.

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #36,605 of 39,414
Hey, I am DD guy too. Traillii doesn't have top 5 bass, but its bass isn't what makes it great. It does the big picture really well. It's a good thing that Legend EVO came out this year. Otherwise, this basshead would have to vote Traillii as IEM of the year with its BA bass and all.
I'm with you there, I don't think anything can surpass EVO's bass quality OR quantity for my preferences really. I have the previous 'DD bass kings' LX and, more recently, IE 900 with me, and neither play in the same league as EVO. EXT is the only outlier I'm curious about when it comes to bass quality, but EXT for me will be more about the combination of top-tier bass (if indeed it is) and top-tier mids/vocals (if indeed it is) as a one-two punch to rival what EVO already does so well. I agree Traillii is nowhere near what I consider the best bass-wise, but overall it's easily the safest bet for an all-round top-tier musical/technical IEM out of anything I've heard to date.
My most anticipated IEM at the moment is the EXT as to my knowledge it's the first pure DD/EST implementation...really curious to hear how it comes off.
Yep, join the queue! :smile:
Every now and again I get super hyped about the IE900 then I read something like this and conclude it's probably not for me. Have you heard the Duo?
Like they say, it's something you need to hear for yourself. Also with IE 900 it's something you physically have to try on, because the fit is either 'like a glove' or 'not for me'. If it fits well, it's incredibly comfortable for all-day listening. The easiest way to tell is if the bass blows your mind. If it doesn't, chances are you have a poor fit.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #36,606 of 39,414
I own Traillii since 8 month, and can't find anything it does not excel over any other IEM. It's to date the best IEM on the market as to my humble judgement - and also one of the most expensive - maybe due to the cable.
I can only recommend for any purist of Hi-fi highest quality music listening to look at this IEM - i also was not sure if something so expensive can be "worth" it - now 8 month down the line - i can only repeat many times - YES, YES, YES - it is worth the money - the listening experience is just fantastic.
Enjoy it if you can.
I agree it's the best I've heard for my preference. 👍

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #36,607 of 39,414
I agree it's the best I've heard for my preference. 👍
In the first half of this year it was Oriolus Traillii occupying a lot of the discussion. Personally speaking no other IEM has come close this year in that way.

Now we are approaching the end of the year and some late comers are being discussed, these are interesting for sure, with the exception of the Mason FS I think they are all striving to meet a different profile for the sound. Perhaps the VE EXT is more similar unfortunately that set is somewhat of a no show for 2021 at least so far.

The Traillii wins best for 2021 in my opinion because of how it performs not the price.
For my tastes it just does not get any better so far, only the Mason FS does similar for me, and wins in engagement with that little extra engagement it stimulates, still Mason FS does not for me top the Traillii in other ways, like bass and treble. If it is the ESTs or the BAs or the mix no idea, just sounds right to me, and sings so sweetly.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #36,608 of 39,414
Ordered one of these new MEST’s

C962D50C-4431-4CF0-8E89-B7A0378A7098.jpeg
Let’s see if it’s just an overpriced Mk2 or whether there’s any genuine sonic upgrades 🤞

I’m with you, I ordered one as well. 😁

Given the different driver config and the supposed better cable, I would be surprised if there wasn’t a nice upgrade from the Mest MKII. Putting aside the controversy with UM responding to the EVO rollout, I trust UM in making this a worthwhile purchase.

Aesthetically, quite a looker. 👍

Nov 12, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #36,609 of 39,414
In the first half of this year it was Oriolus Traillii occupying a lot of the discussion. Personally no other IEM has come close this year in that way.

Now we are approaching the end of the year and some late comers are being discussed, these are interesting for sure, with the exception of the Mason FS I think they are all striving to meet a different profile for the sound. Perhaps the VE EXT is more similar unfortunately that set is somewhat of a no show for 2021 at least so far.

The Traillii wins best for 2021 in my opinion because of how it performs not the price.
For my tastes it just does not get any better so far, only the Mason FS does similar for me, and wins in engagement with that little extra engagement it stimulates, still Mason FS does not for me top the Traillii in other ways, like bass and treble. If it is the ESTs or the BAs or the mix no idea, just sounds right to me, and sings so sweetly.
🤩😉👍

Nov 12, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #36,610 of 39,414
In the first half of this year it was Oriolus Traillii occupying a lot of the discussion. Personally no other IEM has come close this year in that way.

Right now VE EXT and Phonix is the only iems that pique my interest and i like to see how that stacks up to the bird

Nov 12, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #36,611 of 39,414
41F6D699-B614-4220-847E-BE0E4CDC0096.jpeg

I reached out to VE because I wanted to know how many VE 8 8th Anniversary sets were made, and they responded with 150 total. I’m a sucker for limited edition sets, so I was happy to hear such a small number of this classic design were made. Perhaps others that bought it feel as I do.

Nov 12, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #36,612 of 39,414

I reached out to VE because I wanted to know how many VE 8 8th Anniversary sets were made, and they responded with 150 total. I’m a sucker for limited edition sets, so I was happy to hear such a small number of this classic design were made. Perhaps others that bought it feel as I do.
Nice.

Nov 12, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #36,613 of 39,414

Ah yes, the elusive 1/2 LV collab iems that were released in recent years :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 12, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #36,614 of 39,414
Right now VE EXT and Phonix is the only iems that pique my interest and i like to see how that stacks up to the bird
People's impressions cannot come soon enough on those. I've definitely spent my audio fund for the year on the bird, but watching manufacturers squeeze every ounce of performance out of IEMs feels like a spectator sport to me at this point 🤪

Nov 12, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #36,615 of 39,414

They're stunning. I heavily considered getting a pair when they were announced, but opted for the discounted Ely instead. Different beasts though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back