flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Sep 28, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #36,001 of 39,414
Hidition NT6 with 1960s 2-wire , is a fantastic combo - and knowing this combo (ciem+cable) cost me just 1350 euros....Just grateful you can get a TOTL sound for such a reasonable amount

probably very few NT6 owners around , in this land of constant 'get the new toy , search for the next temp high' curious what they think of NT6 in 2021
You can get IE 900 for $1300 (1100 euros) today and you get TOTL sound for a very reasonable amount 👍🏼

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #36,002 of 39,414
You can get IE 900 for $1300 (1100 euros) today and you get TOTL sound for a very reasonable amount 👍🏼

is it custom ? i only use ciems since 2016
does it have a top cable (like 1960s 2 wire) that can be changed if need be ?

if the answers are 2/2 no , then it's a hard pass for me

like i said , i don't think i can get the SQ i get frm the NT6+1960s 2wire at that price (1350 euros) frm another ciem....naybe there is something slightly better.

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #36,003 of 39,414

like i said , i don't think i can get the SQ i get frm the NT6+1960s 2wire at that price (1350 euros) frm another ciem....naybe there is something slightly better.
There's always something different, which some may perceive as 'better', and some not. Some of it costs more, some less. Tech advances, tastes change. If you found something that gives you great joy with your music, comparing what you have to what's available is an exercise in futility as it does nothing to improve your enjoyment.

Also, most of us aren't really looking for 'better', but rather confirmation bias from others that we already have 'the best' (be it the best gear, or the best 'deal'). It's a repeating pattern that's had most of us going in circles at one time or another.

Once you get to a point in this hobby where you can enjoy new tech through the experiences of others without having to 'have it', and continue to enjoy music with your own gear, that's the happy place. That's the 'endgame' so many seek, but so few actually find (because they keep looking for 'better' and seeking approval from others).

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #36,004 of 39,414

If you’re requirement is CIEM only then of course IE 900 isn’t for you. The stock cable is perfectly fine sound-wise and of course you change the cable if need be. I didn’t think I could find IEM with a reasonable price that can better the SQ of Erlkonig, but I was wrong.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #36,006 of 39,414
If you’re requirement is CIEM only then of course IE 900 isn’t for you. The stock cable is perfectly fine sound-wise and of course you change the cable if need be. I didn’t think I could find IEM with a reasonable price that can better the SQ of Erlkonig, but I was wrong.
Ooh, IE 900 > Erkly. Flinkenick's folks be like...

giphy (8).gif

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #36,007 of 39,414
Sep 28, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #36,009 of 39,414
Once you get to a point in this hobby where you can enjoy new tech through the experiences of others without having to 'have it', and continue to enjoy music with your own gear, that's the happy place. That's the 'endgame' so many seek, but so few actually find (because they keep looking for 'better' and seeking approval from others).
^^This where I'm at, and I am somewhat shocked by it, tbh. I've said this several times in other threads, but I started in this hobby as a pre-teen; "left" it for ~6 years until "coming back" 18 months ago. My wallet is bigger now, but admittedly I also have much more competition for my hobby $$. Still, it seems I have had a shift in how I enjoy this hobby....In fact, I can call myself a "audio hobbyist" only to the extent I enjoy the online aspects of it again. I no longer have this unrelenting desire to get "better" gear.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #36,010 of 39,414
Ooh, IE 900 > Erkly. Flinkenick's folks be like...

giphy (8).gif

Which is kind of silly really. I have a number of "a > b" preferences that would similarly offend some sensibilities around here but that's how it is. Ultimately all that matters are the preferences & priorities of the individual. If you lose sleep or become emotionally invested in the preferences of others then you're losing the battle of life imho. That said I hope I get to hear the IE900 before the next ice age.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #36,011 of 39,414
IE900 beats erlky for you?

hmmm…sounds like demo time…

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #36,013 of 39,414
people who like cutting edge EDM , give this set a spin

this is Peak Prog House , back when the genre was COOKING

great production btw , there was some magic sauce for a very short amount of time (circa 2000-2004) , but whatever the magic sause was it is now gone for good

lucky us , we have Net which is like a time machine (and a legal , not mind-melting LSD-like in expanding your knowledge scope)

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #36,015 of 39,414
I've had the EE EVO for a couple of days now, they are like nothing I've heard in an IEM, or over-ears, except the Abyss 1266. Every other IEM, that I've heard, images like mini-monitor speakers, the EVO (and Abyss) image like large, panel speakers (think Soundlab). It's quite amazing, though it takes a little effort to get there, you need the largest, soft silicone tips you can fit. Foams, Peels, even the Crystal are suboptimal. Once you get that seal, and maximum surface exposure for Weapon X to do it's a thing, these are the best IEMs I've heard (I haven't heard the Tralli, Erky, or X).

On another note, I have a bit of hearing damage in my left ear from exposure to loud noise, the full range of bone conduction fills in the missing audio information (confirmed by Jack). I'm still “learning” the EVO, but from what I've heard, and felt, these are a unique offering that stands out in a crowded field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back