flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #3,421 of 39,419
I listened to the Aether using a Norne Therium(pure silver OCC litz) balanced out of a DX200
I see , mine was using with Whiplash twau gold plated silver cable out of 4.4 balance on wm1a , the imaging is impeccable

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #3,422 of 39,419
I see , mine was using with Whiplash twau gold plated silver cable out of 4.4 balance on wm1a , the imaging is impeccable
Again, Aether Imaging is pretty darn good but definitely have heard better(Zeus, forte and A18 and even A12 to some extent although vertical imaging was better on Aether than A12).

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #3,423 of 39,419
Again, Aether Imaging is pretty darn good but definitely have heard better(Zeus, forte and A18 and even A12 to some extent although vertical imaging was better on Aether than A12).
if you value the soundstage most then its nothing strange here to stick to 64audio line. For me, I'm almost on the verge of selling HD800 and keep Aether only. And as you know HD800's imaging and staging are not a joke either. As for impeccable imaging , i meant the wm1 series

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #3,424 of 39,419
It seems you was on the tour, did you pair them with different cables or just using the stock? I didn't bother using the stock also i was driving them out of balance on a dap so that might fix a few things over. On a side note, the stock cable of 64 audio used on Foute and u18 is really a premium one (advertised as made especially for tia driver) which is sold for $100 and this is ways better than the generic common stock cable especially on Aether.

Wait 'til you hear the Aether and the U18 with the 4-wire PWAudio 1960s. Resolution and holographic imaging for dayzzzzzz...

I am not saying it's not airy, compared to something like the Zeus or say Noble Encore, it's definitely a lot airier but I am used to A12 level of air which few can provide like the tia forte.
And again, used to A12 level of width which is stupidly wide with ADEL. Aether width can be compared to Noble Encore width but both are not in A12's category. Aether does have fantastic depth imo, much deeper than A12.

I think the Zeus's apparent lack of air is caused by a "harder" lower treble and an attenuated upper treble. I find it much more linear and airy yet smooth with a 2-wire 1960s. Oddly, with the 4-wire 1960s, this phenomenon is enchanced due to an excited upper treble. I guess, in the end, that's a good thing, for my wallet's sake :D

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #3,425 of 39,419
Wait 'til you hear the Aether and the U18 with the 4-wire PWAudio 1960s. Resolution and holographic imaging for dayzzzzzz...
How big is the improvement about this "End-game" cable? I can't justify spending that much while I could just spend on a brand new iem, hp, dac, amp lol

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #3,426 of 39,419
How big is the improvement about this "End-game" cable? I can't justify spending that much while I could just spend on a brand new iem, hp, dac, amp lol

Its hallmarks are awesome resolution, 3D-imaging, and a holographic soundstage. However, its tonality can be hit-and-miss. I find it accentuates mid-bass impact as well as upper-mid and lower-treble sparkle. I find this works well with the Aether and A12, for example, but I prefer the 2-wire version with my XR.

How much it improves something or whether or not it's worth the price of another CIEM, DAP, amp, etc. is definitely up to you. If you're content with the Aether and the WM1A and intend to focus on tweaks to that combo to improve it, then the 1960s is a way to go. However, seeing as you just bought the SE5U and probably wish to explore the IEM and pairings with that IEM first, then I'd hold off on a 1960s if I were you.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #3,427 of 39,419
Its hallmarks are awesome resolution, 3D-imaging, and a holographic soundstage. However, its tonality can be hit-and-miss. I find it accentuates mid-bass impact as well as upper-mid and lower-treble sparkle. I find this works well with the Aether and A12, for example, but I prefer the 2-wire version with my XR.

How much it improves something or whether or not it's worth the price of another CIEM, DAP, amp, etc. is definitely up to you. If you're content with the Aether and the WM1A and intend to focus on tweaks to that combo to improve it, then the 1960s is a way to go. However, seeing as you just bought the SE5U and probably wish to explore the IEM and pairings with that IEM first, then I'd hold off on a 1960s if I were you.
Is the 2 wires also a good pairing on Aether? because I can't even look at the 4 wires, the price is horrendous.
My twau modded is already better than Leonidas, i can't imagine there is something that much better with the price of 2x because there is dismissing return

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #3,428 of 39,419
if you value the soundstage most then its nothing strange here to stick to 64audio line. For me, I'm almost on the verge of selling HD800 and keep Aether only. And as you know HD800's imaging and staging are not a joke either. As for impeccable imaging , i meant the wm1 series
For me the most things are
Musical mids
Air
Soundstage
Bass
Dark Treble

For me, A12 trumps the Aether on most of these things except Treble.
HD800 for me is just too darn reference, mids are too sterile and analytical and the artificial soundstage just seems empty at times.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #3,429 of 39,419
Is it the 2 wires version you was mentioning a good pairing on Aether? because I can't even look at the 4 wires, the price is horrendous.
My twau modded is already better than Leonidas, i can't imagine there is something that much better with the price of 2x because there is dismissing return

I find the 2-wire 1960s improves the Aether's clarity, detail retrieval, and width, but makes its tonality slightly too warm and dark for my tastes. Especially in switch-up mode, it's mid-bass becomes too rich and intrudes on the lower midrange. It's perfectly smooth and natural treble is also somewhat attenuated in the process.

Oh, believe me, purchasing upgrade cables in general is on the precipice of diminishing returns. Personally, I too can't see myself ever spending that amount of money on a cable. However, the performance gains given by the 1960s can't really be replicated by anything else, no matter how small or minor it may seem in the grand scheme of things, so it's really a question of whether or not you're willing to spend the dough to get that extra 5-10% out of your IEM.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,430 of 39,419
For me the most things are
Musical mids
Air
Soundstage
Bass
Dark Treble

For me, A12 trumps the Aether on most of these things except Treble.
HD800 for me is just too darn reference, mids are too sterile and analytical and the artificial soundstage just seems empty at times.
It's interesting how you could hear those lacking on aether, is it because of the tips ? i didn't bother using them on the tour. The custom ver is just plain better. It has really rich mid even prefer it over u18 and even the stage has alot of air too, very close to u18.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #3,431 of 39,419
It's interesting how you could hear those lacking on aether, is it because of the tips ? i didn't bother using them on the tour. The custom ver is just plain better. It has really rich mid even prefer it over u18 and even the stage has alot of air too, very close to u18.
U18 does not have musical mids, tia forte and A12 do and even Aether. Aether does have air but not as much air as tia forte and A12.
I am not saying Aether is lacking in these, just that A12 and tia forte do these things better than the Aether.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #3,432 of 39,419
They blow everything I've heard out of the water. The U12... my beloved U12... absolutely pales in comparison.
Noooo... I had the U12 on my "possible end-game"-list. Perhaps with a PW No.5. [Adds Fourte]
Fourte shines with 1960 2wire cable (takes the edge off the top end), but U18 has an upper hand in mid-bass slam. I wouldn't say Fourte lacks in mid-bass, just that many people had expectations of DD having a stronger impact, at least how it was in prototypes at CanJam NYC. But final production units are tuned slightly different.
Noooooo... [adds 1960 2-wire to the list]
Will you guys stop it! I can't buy my wife this many puppies! :p

LotsofPuppies31.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #3,433 of 39,419
Noooo... I had the U12 on my "possible end-game"-list. Perhaps with a PW No.5. [Adds Fourte]

Noooooo... [adds 1960 2-wire to the list]

Will you guys stop it! I can't buy my wife this many puppies! :p

LotsofPuppies31.jpg
Theres no "End Game" , you just end the game or you find your sound and be confident and stay happy. What you might be on is buy, hope, wished, wait for the better game , be happy for a week, read and not be happy, buy and ride the loop.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #3,434 of 39,419
Theres no "End Game" , you just end the game or you find your sound and be confident and stay happy. What you might be on is buy, hope, wished, wait for the better game , be happy for a week, read and not be happy, buy and ride the loop.
Well, there seems to be some wisdom in that :thinking:

th

But often, and for most of us, curiosity is simply very hard to resist/ignore :ksc75smile:

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #3,435 of 39,419
speaking of happiness , do we get number 2 this Friday ? i think that @flinkenick is taking a much needed holiday break so there will be a slight timeout ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back