flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Aug 16, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #3,436 of 39,414
speaking of happiness , do we get number 2 this Friday ? i think that @flinkenick is taking a much needed holiday break so there will be a slight timeout ???
Spoke to Nic earlier this week and #2 should come this Friday, unless something has come in between.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #3,437 of 39,414
ah good to know , thanx for the heads up

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #3,439 of 39,414
Hi Pinky,

What do you think about VE8 vs Fourté?

Fourté is grander in every way. More capable highs. More realistic bass. Far more air and transparency. Greater resolution. More immersive layering.

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #3,442 of 39,414
Do you think you can get a chance to compare them? Since you're working for the same review site it shouldn't be a big problem I guess?
Isn't Nic's A18 custom and IIRC Nic is in Amsterdam and Pinky is here in the States.

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #3,444 of 39,414
I only briefly heard VE8 and Fourte, but they seemed polar opposites. Fourte sounded crisp, with a brighter top end, where VE8 seemed a lot warmer, and tuned for timbre.

Congrats on the Fourte Pinky!

Thanks. I have a whole day of listening ahead of me here at work. :D

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #3,447 of 39,414
while we are on this topic, i hope you guys doesn't mind a question about zeus
i think the majority of the opinion said that zeus (non adel) doesn't have that much air like @seamon said, aether even sounds airier compared to zeus unfortunately, i only demoed the one with the adel (zeus XRA) and found it doesn't lack any air at all and have a really good soundstage. will the non adel version have a really different sound signature?. another thing that i usually hear is that the presence of the adel module makes the imaging and overall accuracy decrease in the zeus,and that is also the reason for nic to change the zeus in this shootout to the non adel version if i'm not mistaken. is the effect really drastic? would i be able to emulate the sound of original zeus with closed module AKA carrot module?

i know many people had asked this already in the EE thread, but i haven't catch up with that thread and re-reading all the page will take long time. so i hope i could get opinion from you guys here :)
and another thing, does the airiness attribute contributed by external module (ADEL or APEX) will always have side effect of sacrificing the overall accuracy and technicality?

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #3,448 of 39,414
Aug 16, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #3,449 of 39,414
while we are on this topic, i hope you guys doesn't mind a question about zeus
i think the majority of the opinion said that zeus (non adel) doesn't have that much air like @seamon said, aether even sounds airier compared to zeus unfortunately, i only demoed the one with the adel (zeus XRA) and found it doesn't lack any air at all and have a really good soundstage. will the non adel version have a really different sound signature?. another thing that i usually hear is that the presence of the adel module makes the imaging and overall accuracy decrease in the zeus,and that is also the reason for nic to change the zeus in this shootout to the non adel version if i'm not mistaken. is the effect really drastic? would i be able to emulate the sound of original zeus with closed module AKA carrot module?

i know many people had asked this already in the EE thread, but i haven't catch up with that thread and re-reading all the page will take long time. so i hope i could get opinion from you guys here :)
and another thing, does the airiness attribute contributed by external module (ADEL or APEX) will always have side effect of sacrificing the overall accuracy and technicality?

I have only heard the Zeus XRA Universal too and strictly in my humble opinion, I have found that it does not have enough air. If you think that the Zeus XRA has enough air for you that I think you'll be very happy with it and even with the air of the Aether but for me, Zeus XRA is not airy. My friend who tried the same pair owns the Campfire Audio Andromeda and Mr Speakers Ether Flow said that the Zeus XRA is not airy at all.

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #3,450 of 39,414
Whenever someone says one TOTL they just received blows another out of the water, I am always having doubts.
This is headfi. Everyone says that. In fact I have heard better things over here ask @PinkyPowers - Sennheiser HD650 is better than LCD 2 and LCD 3, Chord Mojo is balanced etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back