flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #33,062 of 39,414
I think so, we have Andrew from headphones.com, bloom, and musicteck, lol.

Call it a "triple Andrew threat" to your wallet :D

Jun 23, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #33,064 of 39,414
Haha… It would certainly make this hobby much easier.
Uhh... Japan. :wink:

MellowSafeEasternnewt-size_restricted.gif

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #33,066 of 39,414
But then you’d have to watch out for that very imposing figure, HBB. 🤣😂🤣
Doesn't currawong (Amos) also live in Japan? He won't be alone!

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #33,067 of 39,414
I was in the midst of planning a pilgrimage trip to Japan to hit up their audio stores (as well as visit some old friends) when covid hit. I'm still hoping it will be possible sooner than later.

But then you’d have to watch out for that very imposing figure, HBB. 🤣😂🤣

He shouldn't be that hard to avoid. There probably aren't too many 30-something white guys who dress like the Fresh Prince living in Japan.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #33,068 of 39,414
Well, this finally arrived today… it’s been quite the wait. I’m going to try and keep this as hype-free as possible but I most definitely have a bias towards the R2R sound…

I f’n love this. I really think Cayin has tuned this better than the P6 Pro. The R01 is what I’d consider to be more balanced, whereas I kinda felt the P6 Pro had more of an emphasis on bass and mid range with the treble being smoothened out in comparison. As a result, I hear better treble presence on the R01, better extension, and to me.. it’s an overall better tonality. The Cayin easily retains the same analogue/natural/organic R2R sound that you’ll find from the P6 Pro and in my honest opinion I actually think it is better. It still possesses the same effortless dynamics/technicalities as the P6 Pro also but you don’t have the deal with the UI designed by 4 year olds. I think this is the end of the road for me as far as DAP rolling for the Traillii has come (🙏🏽). This is all from memory unfortunately so I’m looking forward to seeing the comparisons from people who have both, but assuming the P6 Pro is still a better SQ device, I cannot say the trade offs are even remotely close to worth it over the N6ii Ti/R01.

The main cons I can think of off the top of my head.. the DAP is a little heavy, like 360g or something, the WiFi on it isn’t as good as the DX300/R6 2020, and it doesn’t have one of the fancy Snapdragon 660 CPU’s that you’ll find in the DX300 or R6 2020 either, but the UI is more than snappy enough even being a 2 year old DAP.

Side note: I have no idea about the hiss, none of my current gear is sensitive.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #33,069 of 39,414
Well, this finally arrived today… it’s been quite the wait. I’m going to try and keep this as hype-free as possible but I most definitely have a bias towards the R2R sound…

I f’n love this. I really think Cayin has tuned this better than the P6 Pro. The R01 is what I’d consider to be more balanced, whereas I kinda felt the P6 Pro had more of an emphasis on bass and mid range with the treble being smoothened out in comparison. As a result, I hear better treble presence on the R01, better extension, and to me.. it’s an overall better tonality. The Cayin easily retains the same analogue/natural/organic R2R sound that you’ll find from the P6 Pro and in my honest opinion I actually think it is better. It still possesses the same effortless dynamics/technicalities as the P6 Pro also but you don’t have the deal with the UI designed by 4 year olds. I think this is the end of the road for me as far as DAP rolling for the Traillii has come (🙏🏽). This is all from memory unfortunately so I’m looking forward to seeing the comparisons from people who have both, but assuming the P6 Pro is still a better SQ device, I cannot say the trade offs are even remotely close to worth it over the N6ii Ti/R01.

The main cons I can think of off the top of my head.. the DAP is a little heavy, like 360g or something, the WiFi on it isn’t as good as the DX300/R6 2020, and it doesn’t have one of the fancy Snapdragon 660 CPU’s that you’ll find in the DX300 or R6 2020 either, but the UI is more than snappy enough even being a 2 year old DAP.

Damn you.

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #33,070 of 39,414

NAWWW no way...better than P6 Pro????

someone pinch me

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #33,071 of 39,414
NAWWW no way...better than P6 Pro????

someone pinch me

Tonality wise I think so. The treble being not as smooth to me is a better choice, entirely preferences here but I think it also makes the R01 more versatile with IEMs. I wouldn’t be surprised if the P6 Pro surpasses it in dynamics and technicalities but I’m not finding myself missing anything here.

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #33,072 of 39,414
Tonality wise I think so. The treble being not as smooth to me is a better choice, entirely preferences here but I think it also makes the R01 more versatile with IEMs. I wouldn’t be surprised if the P6 Pro surpasses it in dynamics and technicalities but I’m not finding myself missing anything here.
but is it not expected as the cayin is almost 1k usd more expensive

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #33,074 of 39,414
P6 Pro is $2000 more expensive @ MSRP.
oh sorry thought u meant hiby, got a bit confused.

now the cayin is back on my radar, my only concern is that it still uses android 8.1, and if it would support the to be released new apple music android app

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #33,075 of 39,414
And the board is only 600 bucks for existing N6ii owners...if only my N6ii would hurry back from China already haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back