flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jun 23, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #33,031 of 39,411
I dunno about the Senns versus the Z1R - the 'Sony Sauce' factor with how it present the music is just so damn good. It's the thing which keeps drawing me back to them.

I will test the Senns, but as my fit with the Z1R is totally fine, the motivation to try is quite low.

May mulling over the Isa however continues - it seems to fit in my small collection as a DD and as a counterpoint to my other IEMs.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #33,032 of 39,411
Makes perfect sense heh. Also makes sense why I prefer the IE900 bass. 🤐 The treble is a weird one for me though, I really like Z1R treble but it comes off as smoother on the IE900 to me 🤔 Perhaps that could be down to a better fit.
Looks like the Z1R treble peaks earlier and also more aggressively, with a second slightly less aggressive peak after that. It also has a super tweeter dedicated to treble, and my experience with super tweeters is that sometimes they do their job too well. Whereas the IE900 is likely more cohesive, and the chamber is specially tuned to attentuate treble harshness using resonators. In addition the elevated upper mids of the Z1R likely impact the lower treble response.

I'm busy trying to get more info on exactly how the IE900's treble and bass responses have been engineered, because I know there was a definite tuning direction here. Will be sure to include what I find in my full review.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #33,033 of 39,411
Looks like the Z1R treble peaks earlier and also more aggressively, with a second slightly less aggressive peak after that. It also has a super tweeter dedicated to treble, and my experience with super tweeters is that sometimes they do their job too well. Whereas the IE900 is likely more cohesive, and the chamber is specially tuned to attentuate treble harshness using resonators. In addition the elevated upper mids of the Z1R likely impact the lower treble response.

I'm busy trying to get more info on exactly how the IE900's treble and bass responses have been engineered, because I know there was a definite tuning direction here. Will be sure to include what I find in my full review.
If you can get that info then great! The Z1R with burn in tends to calm down in the treble and is less peaky and that extension is simply phenomenal.

I'm looking forward to @Damz87 to getting his IE900 (how many your got on order now, 5? LOL) and comparing it to the Z1R.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #33,034 of 39,411
Not that graphs are definitive but this probably explains why you remember preferring the Z1R mids (and why I'm so enamoured by the IE900)...

graph (99)~2.png
And this is a good reminder to myself why graphs are a good reference but definitely aren't everything.

Granted it's been a long time since I had the z1r, but from memory, I would say the z1r was bassier, and not as bright as the ie900, which does not seem to be the case from simply looking at the graph.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #33,035 of 39,411
And this is a good reminder to myself why graphs are a good reference but definitely aren't everything.

Granted it's been a long time since I had the z1r, but from memory, I would say the z1r was bassier, and not as bright as the ie900, which does not seem to be the case from simply looking at the graph.

On some tracks I am finding the IE900 a little bright, but I did the same with the Z1R also. I just feel the IE900 treble is smoother in its presentation where sometimes the treble on Z1R could come off as harsh to me, again, could be down to the fit.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #33,036 of 39,411
On some tracks I am finding the IE900 a little bright, but I did the same with the Z1R also. I just feel the IE900 treble is smoother in its presentation where sometimes the treble on Z1R could come off as harsh to me, again, could be down to the fit.
What sort of insertion you need with the IE900s? I mean with the Z1R, you really needed to shove them in your ears to really get that tweeter really 'activated'.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #33,037 of 39,411
What sort of insertion you need with the IE900s? I mean with the Z1R, you really needed to shove them in your ears to really get that tweeter really 'activated'.

I am trying to go for a deep insertion but I’m not having the best luck, the shell is literally so small that if you have larger ears it would actually be a concern to me. I think these are just more about a seal rather than a deep fit. I’m still using the stock silicone tips though, I’ll have to try more when I am not so lazy. 😂

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #33,038 of 39,411
Fair points. I do also remember people talking about the potentially hot treble on the z1r, which is just something I never heard. Could have been down to the fit.

I may be having fit issues with the ie900 too, but of a completely different kind than the z1r.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #33,039 of 39,411
I am trying to go for a deep insertion but I’m not having the best luck, the shell is literally so small that if you have larger ears it would actually be a concern to me. I think these are just more about a seal rather than a deep fit. I’m still using the stock silicone tips though, I’ll have to try more when I am not so lazy. 😂
The size does concern me - too small! I always seem to want to have a deep insertion with DD based IEMs to really 'feel'.

I also hear stock tips are pretty crap, so you could be in for a treat when tip rolling, so get on it!

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #33,040 of 39,411
Fair points. I do also remember people talking about the potentially hot treble on the z1r, which is just something I never heard. Could have been down to the fit.

I may be having fit issues with the ie900 too, but of a completely different kind than the z1r.

Right, legit opposite fit problems with these compared to z1r 😂

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #33,041 of 39,411
Another reason why I like them, because I can use tips that seal early. Nothing I like less than a deep seated IEM. Ear irritation deluxe. The IE900 is weird in that it feels like it sits deep (because it's so small) but with the right tips (not the stock tips!) seals early. So far slightly tapered but more flared tips like Acoustune 07 work best for me. Bullet tips like the E-type also work but insert much deeper, so I can always 'feel' them there.

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #33,042 of 39,411
When is 64 Audio releasing their new IEM(s)? Does anyone know? It's approaching end of June, or maybe it's next month?

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #33,043 of 39,411
If you can get that info then great! The Z1R with burn in tends to calm down in the treble and is less peaky and that extension is simply phenomenal.

I'm looking forward to @Damz87 to getting his IE900 (how many your got on order now, 5? LOL) and comparing it to the Z1R.
😂🤣 my order with Sennheiser Australia won’t ship until 14th July, and my Amazon USA order still hasn’t shipped either. I’m now looking into a third option… Lol

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #33,044 of 39,411
😂🤣 my order with Sennheiser Australia won’t ship until 14th July, and my Amazon USA order still hasn’t shipped either. I’m now looking into a third option… Lol
Move to the USA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back