flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #28,696 of 39,414
EDIT: Similarly, when I wanna determine whether it's the track or the IEM that has great stereo separation, I just play the track through a bunch of IEMs, and I play the IEM through a bunch of different tracks. I find out which does what, and a clear answer usually arrives from there. It helps that I've used a lot of the same tracks when I review IEMs, so I pretty much know off-the-bat what's changed and why.
Excellent observation. This is called "Inference to the best explanation". If you cannot determine the truth of a claim by mere definition of the terms, or through direct observation, then you do exactly that -- see if there are patterns in the data that support but do not quite guarantee a specific statement/claim. (Even though IO have been in high-end hi-fi sales for almost 19 years, this time around, I taught Philosophy at the University level for approx. 18 years as well--probably explains a lot of my 'rant' posts here....)

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #28,697 of 39,414
Taking a brief breather from all the Jolene talk, my review of Empire Ears' ODIN has finally dropped on THL! :) You can check it out on the Empire thread via the link here. As always, I really appreciate the read, and I hope you all enjoy. Cheers!

@Deezel177
Great review as always, and I still can't get enough of those Odin photos :)
A quote from your review got me thinking:
"Again, its notes are on the larger side, so it’s not particularly ideal if you prefer your notes really tight and compact."
Can you give an illustrative contrast here? I'm trying to picture (or rather 'hear' in my mind) what large notes vs tight/compact notes might sound like?

It might be helpful if you could give some examples too of other IEMs that deliver those qualities?
If it helps, I have the EE Phantom & Nemesis, UM MEST, CA Solaris 2020, Stealth Sonics U4, Itsfit Fusion, etc.
I know you've heard some of them, but not sure how many (if any) would be examples that illustrate what you're talking about! :)

Of course, all of this is only if you have time and mood to answer! I appreciate you've probably put a great many hours in on that review already :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #28,699 of 39,414
Considering what they explained in the video and the amount of tech they’ve crammed in there, the Jolene feels a lot more like flagship tier than mid-fi. Possibly the fact that it isn’t marketed as a reference IEM is what made them choose to keep the Layla as their flagship

I’m very optimistic personally, I hope JH respond tomorrow so I can have my Jolene the week after :)
I thought Jolene was the new flagship - or at least the new hybrid flagship?

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #28,700 of 39,414
went ahead and put on a set of Azla Sedna tips (somewhat difficult to do on the broken nozzle), and wow, what a beautiful tone!
No channel imbalance or different sound from the broken piece? It’s great that you enjoy VE8. Ely is indeed not as warm as VE8, so if you like a warmer sound, stick with VE8 :thumbsup:

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #28,701 of 39,414
I thought Jolene was the new flagship - or at least the new hybrid flagship?
I think the latter is correct.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #28,703 of 39,414
Mar 7, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #28,704 of 39,414
No channel imbalance or different sound from the broken piece? It’s great that you enjoy VE8. Ely is indeed not as warm as VE8, so if you like a warmer sound, stick with VE8 :thumbsup:

no, I didn’t notice any imbalance at all. I wanted a warmer set for my collection, and now I’ve found it. 😁

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #28,705 of 39,414
no, I didn’t notice any imbalance at all. I wanted a warmer set for my collection, and now I’ve found it. 😁
Once you have the VE-8 repaired, it will be interesting to hear your thoughts vs your Anole VX and Luna. I look forward to them.

I am surprised you had an issue with the damage in shipping. I guess anything can happen. With all of the knocks we have given the Traillii in terms of what is included in the package, it does come very well protected per the picture below. Tks.

Attachments

• F5BD3A45-14FB-43D9-9280-1238DC84C629.jpeg
    F5BD3A45-14FB-43D9-9280-1238DC84C629.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 7, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #28,707 of 39,414
Don't mean to gunk up the thread here, but you guys are so knowledgeable and experienced with portable players.

My needs :
Has to be a Hiby dap exclusively.
(because of thr mseb dsp, I need that specifically for my use)
Has to be able to power as much as possible a Low impedence planar headphone.

So I guess it needs to be capable of a lot of current.
Which Hiby device is best for this?

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #28,708 of 39,414
Don't mean to gunk up the thread here, but you guys are so knowledgeable and experienced with portable players.

My needs :

Hiby R8

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #28,709 of 39,414

My needs :

If you are talking about powering the Susvara or Abyss 1266, the answer is none as I have asked that already. If you mean an Empyrean, that is fairly easy to drive as I use my Cayin N8 on it and it is less than 50 on the volume dial.

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #28,710 of 39,414
Something happened in shipping. The VE 8 is loosely contained in its metal case (by the way, I wonder if VE sources its metal cases from the same supplier as EE. My Odin case looks very similar other than the flat chamfered top half vs the VE 8‘s more rounded top. The internal protective lining appears to be identical). Since the VE 8 was loosely contained within, any major bumps in shipping may have been the cause.
But luckily, EE doesn’t ship the Odin inside the metal case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back