flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 23, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #2,836 of 39,414
Yeah, I didn't say it is but switching to Aether afterward can make Aether sounds bright. Btw, It's not an easy iem to get in any means, signature wise etc, not mention the unfriendly custom declaration.
I know some people actually like Aether better, matching it with the dap can also be a problem. I heard SE5 is a "Frustrated iem" , to get it sound good is also a problem.

yeah it is really complicated, actually the person you are buying the SE5U offer to trade it with my kumitate and i was really tempted but the long process of getting ear impression and the fact they don't accept paypal makes me think twice. not to mention there is possibility where my ears impression couldn't be used for the moulding. I hope everything goes well with your SE5ult looking forward to your impression

Getting an SE5U made is in itself a leap of faith. I've considered it many times, but have always looked for alternatives in the end. The fact that there are virtually no demos, no universal versions, silicon-only (which might affect longevity), and getting impressions done first before emailing back and forth to see if the SE5U can in fact, be made for you, and also the high price of reshelling a used SE5U... it'll remain one of the IEMs I'll never get to hear unless I buy blind.

No disrespect to Spiral Ears, the SE5U is indeed legend-status. I've hopefully heard IEMs from the same tier, so probably what will make me budge is a clear upgrade, or something totally different from the current TOTL IEM mould (multi-BA or hybrid or DD), like the KSE and LCDi4, and both are actually easier to obtain lol.

exactly what i'm feeling it's really hard to bite the bullet at this price point, moreover it is CIEM that is hard to sell again, even though lot of reviewer give a great score for it already i just couldn't justify myself to get one if i haven't heard it by myself. i really hope they could provide demo unit someday.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #2,838 of 39,414
In my opinion this is expected:

5. Prelude
4. Maestro V2
3. SE5 Ult
2. Zeus
1. U18 Tzar

I'm so sorry that there is no rank in VE8 and Layla ...Layla, in my opinion, would be very upstairs in the list. (in TOP3)

Layla or Layla II?

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #2,840 of 39,414
I have a rebuilt Layla V1 ... but it's better now than before rebuilding ...
Unfortunately, the construction quality of JH audio products is horroristic

I can´t complain about my Layla II, but it´s a collaboration of JH and AK, so..... :wink:

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #2,841 of 39,414
Getting an SE5U made is in itself a leap of faith. I've considered it many times, but have always looked for alternatives in the end. The fact that there are virtually no demos, no universal versions, silicon-only (which might affect longevity), and getting impressions done first before emailing back and forth to see if the SE5U can in fact, be made for you, and also the high price of reshelling a used SE5U... it'll remain one of the IEMs I'll never get to hear unless I buy blind.

No disrespect to Spiral Ears, the SE5U is indeed legend-status. I've hopefully heard IEMs from the same tier, so probably what will make me budge is a clear upgrade, or something totally different from the current TOTL IEM mould (multi-BA or hybrid or DD), like the KSE and LCDi4, and both are actually easier to obtain lol.

Yeah, unfortunately, form the words of Grzegorz himself, demo units are out of the question. I'm assuming the silicone shell and five bores make it difficult for a proper demo unit to be made, but even Earwerkz managed to release a demo unit of their Penta (even if it was in acrylic). I guess SE are content with marketing the SE5U solely on hype alone, with no clear interest in actually making sure whether or not the customer will be pleased with their eventual purchase. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in one, but I'll wait for @flinkenick's review, however many ranks away it may be, before I spend that kind of cash for something I can't even try.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #2,843 of 39,414

Indeed. While Nic suggested the SE5U for me to consider, as it obviously fits my preferences very well, I have never gone beyond the point of reading a few reviews and having a quick look at the website. It is a huge risk to take for a significant chunk of change. No matter how good they sound, it is just a step too far to blindly buy silicone CIEMs in this way.

And like you said, silicone is not the most durable material. I've been told that with the number of hours I wear my IEMs I can expect the silicone material to start breaking down after as little as six months. That is just not acceptable at this price range.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #2,844 of 39,414
Indeed. While Nic suggested the SE5U for me to consider, as it obviously fits my preferences very well, I have never gone beyond the point of reading a few reviews and having a quick look at the website. It is a huge risk to take for a significant chunk of change. No matter how good they sound, it is just a step too far to blindly buy silicone CIEMs in this way.

And like you said, silicone is not the most durable material. I've been told that with the number of hours I wear my IEMs I can expect the silicone material to start breaking down after as little as six months. That is just not acceptable at this price range.
I had two silicon ciems I used out doors, sweating un the heat for over two years and still were in perfect shape.

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #2,845 of 39,414

Do you think Custom Art or Spiral Ears would produce silicone shells if they started to break down in half a year?

There are thousands kind of silicone ...

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #2,846 of 39,414
Do you think Custom Art or Spiral Ears would produce silicone shells if they started to break down in half a year?

There are thousands kind of silicone ...
I wouldn't think so, but that was something told to me via PM by someone in the industry. It might have been a bit overly critical and referring to a specific kind of silicone, but it any case it was to contrast with the durability of acrylic CIEMs in comparison.

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #2,847 of 39,414
I wouldn't think so, but that was something told to me via PM by someone in the industry. It might have been a bit overly critical and referring to a specific kind of silicone, but it any case it was to contrast with the durability of acrylic CIEMs in comparison.

My silicon H8P held steady for a year, no issues at all, but I reshelled to acrylic once I had the chance. Mostly because acrylic is quicker to wear, and the colours pop more.

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #2,848 of 39,414

The industry can use a soft silicone that can get break faster. (Seals)
Medical silicone should be more durable...

Think, there are hearing aids around the world (more than CIEM-s) ... what if they had to be replaced annually ...

I ask Piotr privately for this opinion (Custom Art chief)

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #2,849 of 39,414
yeah it is really complicated, actually the person you are buying the SE5U offer to trade it with my kumitate...
Hmmm, I also contacted the same person when he had just put it for sale. I even thought we had a trade deal (as he said he agreed on that) and he also agreed with sending first as he had no trader history at all. After some time I asked him if he had already send his SE5U or if he had changed his mind. Never got an answer on that questions :unamused:

@gearofwar I saw your post in the SE5U thread (seems you send your iem first) and I sincerely hope that it will work out positive for you man.

Maybe that insider doesn't work with silicone himself and it could have been marketing strategy to tell you this? Although it's a known fact that acrylic lasts longer than silicone, 6 months seems very short :thinking:

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #2,850 of 39,414
Maybe that insider doesn't work with silicone himself and it could have been marketing strategy to tell you this? Although it's a known fact that acrylic lasts longer than silicone, 6 months seems very short :thinking:
It was very much in the context of a discussion we were having that was about very intensive use of IEMs, i.e. 10 hours a day and the 6 months was the low estimate for when the silicone might start to wear down with such use. It might have also been a reference to certain soft silicone. I honestly don't know and was surprised by it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back