flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 24, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #2,851 of 39,414
While Nic suggested the SE5U for me to consider, as it obviously fits my preferences very well, I have never gone beyond the point of reading a few reviews and having a quick look at the website.
Having had your ear impressions in my hands I can safely say they won't fit your ears.

As for the silicone vs acrylic you can take a look at our design guide to help you pick correct material for your preferences https://thecustomart.com/iem-design-guide/
The industry can use a soft silicone that can get break faster. (Seals)
Medical silicone should be more durable...

Think, there are hearing aids around the world (more than CIEM-s) ... what if they had to be replaced annually ...

I ask Piotr privately for this opinion (Custom Art chief)

All companies that I know of who manufacture silicone IEMs use medical grade silicone made by one or the other leading manufacturers of silicone hearing aid materials.

Let's be honest - silicone material is fragile and requires care.

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #2,852 of 39,414
Having had your ear impressions in my hands I can safely say they won't fit your ears.

As for the silicone vs acrylic you can take a look at our design guide to help you pick correct material for your preferences https://thecustomart.com/iem-design-guide/

All companies that I know of who manufacture silicone IEMs use medical grade silicone made by one or the other leading manufacturers of silicone hearing aid materials.

Let's be honest - silicone material is fragile and requires care.
Thanks Piotr, very helpful to know! Those must be quite a special design if they are that difficult to fit. (Or perhaps you have little fairies working in the Custom Art lab that can make the CIEMs fit even the most intricate ear canals. :wink:)

Yes, the discussion I had was about very intense use of silicone CIEMs (probably unusually so) and in combination with the nature of the material it could be quite a challenge to keep them going for a long period of time (ie. years).

Jul 26, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #2,853 of 39,414
Gosh darn it...
60538015.jpg

And in the category "not sure if typo" we have a new oBravo:
Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 09.45.10.png
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/obravo-ra-c-cu-earphones-copper.html

I love the description: "These breathtaking earphones have been designed to deliver the very finest treble performance of any earphones in its class" I doubt there is much competition "in its class". Nice to see innovation though!

ps. There was a £6k pair, but who cares about the cheap stuff.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #2,855 of 39,414
And in the category "not sure if typo" we have a new oBravo:

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/obravo-ra-c-cu-earphones-copper.html

I love the description: "These breathtaking earphones have been designed to deliver the very finest treble performance of any earphones in its class" I doubt there is much competition "in its class". Nice to see innovation though!

ps. There was a £6k pair, but who cares about the cheap stuff.

I doubt there is much competition "in its class". :joy:

Yesterday I read that Real Madrid was willing to pay 180 million euro for Monaco forward Mbappé.
Sometimes it seems like the (c)iem/headphone/dap industry is trying to copy that 'imo insane prices' development :thinking:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #2,858 of 39,414
I doubt there is much competition "in its class". :joy:

Yesterday I read that Real Madrid was willing to pay 180 million euro for Monaco forward Mbappé.
Sometimes it seems like the (c)iem/headphone/dap industry is trying to copy that 'imo insane prices' development :thinking:
Well Audio Sanctuary is located in London, so they might actually be able to sell some of these. Plenty of people here with more money than they know what to do with. :wink:

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #2,859 of 39,414
Well, as long as there are people who are able and willing to pay that kind off amounts.

The price announcement back at the office...
giphy.gif

and the party after they sold some.
tumblr_mywt2x8xhz1tnwfxto6_5001.gif

But hey, I guess it's all legal in this situation :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #2,860 of 39,414
They grow faster than hifiman
re2k? that is so yesterday , they better prepare re8k now :D

hey sky is the limit when it comes to 21 century portable audio pricing.
you are right, long as there are people that willing to pay for it, this will have no end. it is just quite sad only some people could enjoy the sound they have to offer.

well here we are paving the road to 2k being mid-fi

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2,861 of 39,414
I tried whatever obravo in ear was there TOTL back in April and I was impressed by the soundstage. That was after trying the U18 and Dream, yet even more impressive.
But the total lack of isolation and price just made them pointless to me.

Jul 26, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #2,862 of 39,414
I tried whatever obravo in ear was there TOTL back in April and I was impressed by the soundstage. That was after trying the U18 and Dream, yet even more impressive.
But the total lack of isolation and price just made them pointless to me.
They are very unique iems. Big soundstage and beautiful instrument and vocal timbre. But the open design would likely make them impractical for many people using them on the go. They suit me by providing full size headphone sound without headphones clamped around my head.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #2,863 of 39,414
They better have a really good secret sauce in there. That amount of money could be used to get my grandma a hip replacement from her last act..

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #2,864 of 39,414
I've seen measurements for 3 oBravos and heard 1 (erib-5a?). The FR curves are terrifying and the IEM I heard was complete garbage. Could've made the argument for soundstage but at that level of isolation, a simple earbud or an iSine would've pushed the same stage anyways.

I haven't heard the others but I'm not expecting a lot at this point.

Jul 26, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #2,865 of 39,414
I've seen measurements for 3 oBravos and heard 1 (erib-5a?). The FR curves are terrifying and the IEM I heard was complete garbage. Could've made the argument for soundstage but at that level of isolation, a simple earbud or an iSine would've pushed the same stage anyways.

I haven't heard the others but I'm not expecting a lot at this point.
I find oBravo a very illusive brand and the IEMs they produce seem to be very hit and miss. I did my best to find information about their lower end IEMs, up to the erib-5a, because they were on my radar before buying my Ei.3, and I eventually just gave up trying. I think I found one review of the erib-5a at Headfonics and that was it. Plus, the review did not inspire a lot of confidence. Worst of all was that initially oBravo's own website did not even list the lower-end models. I never really understood that and is a bit of a shame because I do think they are trying very hard to come up with some innovative stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back