flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #2,883 of 39,414
if im recalling correctly, read something about tmr comeback!
Yes, I thought so too. Nic had a bit of a (well deserved) breather and might finally start cracking the top 5 later today. Although I have to say that time flies, it has already been over three months of shootout goodness!

So, as per usual, expect today to be filled with plenty of memes, hypnotic gifs and comments about how much Nic is being paid to make sure the beer cap IEMs end up at #1. :wink:

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #2,884 of 39,414
So, as per usual, expect today to be filled with plenty of memes, hypnotic gifs and comments about how much Nic is being paid to make sure the beer cap IEMs end up at #1. :wink:

Oh dear God...please NO! STOP!!!
statler-and-waldorf.gif

We don't need any more of that kinda disasteractions...eeeh distractions.
Just give us that #5 review please!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #2,885 of 39,414
Oh dear God...please NO! STOP!!!
statler-and-waldorf.gif

We don't need any more of that kinda disasteractions...eeeh distractions.
Just give us that #5 review please!
Yes, let's keep this moving right along...
tenor.gif

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #2,888 of 39,414
It's refreshing to see IEM around 1000$ that is an absolute totl product. I am saying this because prices started going way up recently, now we have 3K$ totl and even more if we look at Final Lab II or oBravo with their 10k$ IEM. Even if these are better in some ways, we are obviously not talking about completely different class of sound, and in some cases I am sure that oBravo clearly loses to many times cheaper pairs. It is sad that there are companies now that will push the price to stratosphere without any regard to how much the actual price of the IEM with its development and research costs. The result is a very limited number of actual totl IEM units that easily get their buyers because of the number of units available. There has never been time in audio history where a regular mid-class person couldn't afford a totl headphone or at least something very close to it (obviously, there are some exceptions to the rule if we look at Orpheus and perhaps some other). We live in a new world and Warbler is its beacon of hope at the moment. Maybe this is just the result of the fact that headphones lose very little value over their lifetimes and what was flagship 5 years ago is now mid range, but the price wasn't adjusted at all.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #2,889 of 39,414
Yes I agree it's a trend that is growing very steeply, and rather quickly. I think only 3 years ago the absolute top tier was around $1200. I remember reading a post about someone buying a 1K universal and people were like whaaaat you can get the best custom for that! Then it shifted to $1600, and the current average is around $2000.

Luckily there are still quite a few iems that offer quality at a good price. Prelude is one of them, although it won't be everyone's taste; but when you consider iems like Andromeda, 8.2, NT6, and Aether, I think almost everybody can find something at a reasonable price that suits them excellently. Not to mention all the midtier models that get less attention because they don't have flagship status.

Jul 28, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,891 of 39,414
A great example of a awesome price to quality ratio is the Dunu DK-3001, super surprised and super impressed. I will be reviewing it in the next couple of weeks as soon as I finish the Zeus XR(new design) review, unless of course the EM10 arrives. The closest hybrid I could compare it too is the Fidue A91 and to my ears it clearly is better.

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #2,892 of 39,414
Jul 28, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2,893 of 39,414
From the review
"That said, the RE800 has harsh treble. Truly harsh. It was tuned with reckless abandon, resulting in aggression that’s long crossed the line into violence. These IEM’s want to hurt humans."
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

10/10 Review of the year. Would buy to torture ears

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #2,894 of 39,414
From the review
"That said, the RE800 has harsh treble. Truly harsh. It was tuned with reckless abandon, resulting in aggression that’s long crossed the line into violence. These IEM’s want to hurt humans."
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

10/10 Review of the year. Would buy to torture ears

believe it or not, for the hot treble head it may be appealing,
at least for me, now im really interested to try re800 , just want to know how bad that 7khz violence is

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #2,895 of 39,414
believe it or not, for the hot treble head it may be appealing,
at least for me, now im really interested to try re800 , just want to know how bad that 7khz violence is
If you want 7kHz violence try the Hifiman HEX. Absolutely devastating for the Treble sensitive. My ears were ringing after just 1 hr with that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back